RC poster

new to r/c. what amp to charge battery at

i just got my son a 1/16 e-revo vxl car for his birthday, i also got a prophet sport ii charger. i can select between 1, 2, 3,4 amp charge. at what rate can i charge the battery at and how long should it take? i also ordered 2 lipo batteries and a charger for them, can i run the lipos in series? thanks for any help.

RC Competitor
    It depends on the mAh of the battery you have. If it is the Traxxas battery that came with the MERV then I believe it is 1200 mAh NiMh battery and you can charge it at 1C which is 1.2 amps. I don't remember if it can handle 2C or not but it is easier on the battery to charge it at 1C anyways and it should take about an hour if fully discharged.

RC poster
    that is the size of the battery. si it would be bad to charge it at 2amps to try and cut down the charge time?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Most, if not all, NiMH can only handle a 1C charge rate at most. NiMH will last longer if the charge rate is less than 1C though. LiPo charging standard is also 1C, but if they can handle higher it is usually stated on the pack. There is no benefit to charging LiPo at less than 1C.

Yes, it would be bad to charge the stock NiMH at 2amps.

Your stock 16th cannot handle 2 LiPo's in series safely.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Spending some more Cash for Something good is a good Investment. If your son or you would like to drive or fly Something "bigger" 4A or more are nice to have.

I bought 2 times, because I dont think so before. Now i have a Charger with 2x8A. So i can Charge two LiPos in the Same time.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I can charge up to 12 LiPo's at the same time at up to 20 amps. You don't need multi-port chargers to charge multiple LiPo's.

I've got about $170 in my charge system.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.