RC Enthusiast

Nimh battery storage

Can I store my Nimh batteries without having a charge on them? In other words, I run the battery down to nothing, then store it until I'm ready to charge it again at a later date for another run.

RC Racer
    All batteries will self discharge; Nimh has more internal resistance than lipos so they self discharge much faster. You should charge Nimh before storing. Then every few months you should cycle the battery and recharge it. If you put it away discharged, the voltage will drop to a damaging level in a short period of time.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info. I'll put a full charge on them tonight.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hsks99 View Post
    All batteries will self discharge; Nimh has more internal resistance than lipos so they self discharge much faster. You should charge Nimh before storing. Then every few months you should cycle the battery and recharge it. If you put it away discharged, the voltage will drop to a damaging level in a short period of time.
    Short period of time would be a day or two ?? I ran my NIMHs late nite low but not completely dead and let them sit for 2 hrs befor throwing them on a charger. I'm good ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JDenham View Post
    Short period of time would be a day or two ?? I ran my NIMHs late nite low but not completely dead and let them sit for 2 hrs befor throwing them on a charger. I'm good ?
    Yeah, fine. You have to leave them for quite sometime before they fully discharge, or leave them plugged into the ESC. Depending on the model, it can drain them to zero.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cipher_Jones View Post
    Yeah, fine. You have to leave them for quite sometime before they fully discharge, or leave them plugged into the ESC. Depending on the model, it can drain them to zero.
    Cool thanks man btw any chance u would know why one battery would be hotter then the other after been running ?? I have a 4amp charger that charges my venom 5000mah. Good ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    One cell might be going bad. Not a good sign!

RC Qualifier
    Need more info. They don't make 5000mah 2/3 NiMh cells.

RC Qualifier
    I bought lipo's, so I store my NIMH in the trash now... Lol.