RC Racer

Some more questions about my Summit....

First off, I continue to love this site, such good info and people.

First question, I know I messed up by getting the Onyx dual charger for my Lipo's, because i cant discharge them. My question is, will i be in really bad shape by not being able to discharge the batteries? With my setup, is it better to leave them fully charged or leave them low after bashing?

Second question; I am noticing some squeaks and creaking noises after running in dirt and what not, after blowing off the motor and body with the air compressor, what kind of lube should i use to spray around the moving drive parts?

Thank you

ideally if you are going to leave a lipo sitting you should leave them at 3.8v per cell.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    Dry lube by PB blaster at Home Depot is what I use doesn't attract dirt it's more of a powdery lube but works great. As for the lipos as posted above lipos should be put into storage mode if they are not going to be used for long periods if time.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    As far as your LiPo's...
    DO NOT leave them low. Once they get to a certain point of discharge, they discharge themselves pretty fast and you could loose a set of LiPo's by leaving them low.
    It is almost as bad to leave them high... as the more time they spend fully charged the more stress you are putting on the cells, shortening their life.

My buddy, against my recommendation, bought a cheap cooker that cannot discharge or even storage charge his LiPo's. What he has done to overcome this shortfall is to run to LVC (a consistent state of discharge) and then timed a charge up to 3.85v/cell. He hooks up his batteries and times the alarm to sound when they should be at or around 3.85. It worked for him until his charger fried. Now he is saving up for a quality charger. So much for his cheap charger being cheap! lol
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    As far as your LiPo's...
    DO NOT leave them low. Once they get to a certain point of discharge, they discharge themselves pretty fast and you could loose a set of LiPo's by leaving them low.
    It is almost as bad to leave them high... as the more time they spend fully charged the more stress you are putting on the cells, shortening their life.

My buddy, against my recommendation, bought a cheap cooker that cannot discharge or even storage charge his LiPo's. What he has done to overcome this shortfall is to run to LVC (a consistent state of discharge) and then timed a charge up to 3.85v/cell. He hooks up his batteries and times the alarm to sound when they should be at or around 3.85. It worked for him until his charger fried. Now he is saving up for a quality charger. So much for his cheap charger being cheap! lol
    As always, Jimmie u come through. So i spent 130.00 on this onyx 245 charger. I guess i will try and sell it and buy a good one.

Where did you buy it?
    The reason I ask is they may simply take it back... might be worth asking.

For about $50 more than what you spent you can get into a charge system I doubt you will ever outgrow...

RC Racer
    Where did you buy it?
    The reason I ask is they may simply take it back... might be worth asking.

For about $50 more than what you spent you can get into a charge system I doubt you will ever outgrow...
    I bought it from a local hobby shop. I just feel bad taking it back, i am all for supporting your local hobby shop. The owner was very kind and took it out of the box and showed me how to work it and how to properly balance the batteries and what not. I will think about it. I may just buy the correct charger and eat this one. I am curious Jimmie, why do they even make an onyx charger if it cant discharge lipo batteries? I mean why buy a vehicle that doesn't work properly?

I make a good living so blowing another 150.00 wont kill me, i just hate to waste money.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    After running allow the packs to cool to room temperature. This should take only 10 to 15 minutes if they were truly warm. Then charge the packs up to approximately 50% to 60% of their stated capacity or 3.8 to 3.9 volts per cell. If the packs are fully charged and you do not have an opportunity to run them, within two days find a way to get some of the charge out of them so as to pull them down to the levels just noted. Do not store RC LiPo packs for more than 2 days if they are fully charged!

These are generic recommendations for RC-type LiPo packs. As always you should follow the instructions provided with the packs or by the vendor.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    ideally if you are going to leave a lipo sitting you should leave them at 3.8v per cell.
    I didnt even see these posts. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by snookerd1206 View Post
    Dry lube by PB blaster at Home Depot is what I use doesn't attract dirt it's more of a powdery lube but works great. As for the lipos as posted above lipos should be put into storage mode if they are not going to be used for long periods if time.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    Thank you

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    After running allow the packs to cool to room temperature. This should take only 10 to 15 minutes if they were truly warm. Then charge the packs up to approximately 50% to 60% of their stated capacity or 3.8 to 3.9 volts per cell. If the packs are fully charged and you do not have an opportunity to run them, within two days find a way to get some of the charge out of them so as to pull them down to the levels just noted. Do not store RC LiPo packs for more than 2 days if they are fully charged!

These are generic recommendations for RC-type LiPo packs. As always you should follow the instructions provided with the packs or by the vendor.
    So 3.8 volts is what i should read on the onyx charger. It seems like whenever i run them down it still reads like 6.7 volts per battery pack

RC Racer
    Okay, is there a dual charger that will discharge and store my batteries? Anyone have a link?

RC Racer
    I'm using the same charger as you his grace. To store my batteries I change them up to 7.75, which once you turn the charger off goes down to 7.70 or 3.85v/cell.
    Summit TQi w/ Dewalt 14.4v, MERV

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1971 View Post
    I'm using the same charger as you his grace. To store my batteries I change them up to 7.75, which once you turn the charger off goes down to 7.70 or 3.85v/cell.
    Oh ok!!!!! Thank you, u just made my headache a whole lot smaller

RC Racer
    Ok i am looking at the charger now. Now i can see what i should be doing. I can press the data button and select the two cell display voltage charge. They are at 4.05 volts. Awesome

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by his grace View Post
    Okay, is there a dual charger that will discharge and store my batteries? Anyone have a link?
    Most of the good charger will require a separate Power Supply. So when people say you can get a great charger for 170-80 dollars they're not including the power supply.

Personal I'm looking at this charger, http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-powerlab-6.html.

RC Racer
    So on these lipo 8000mah 50c, what is the max charge per cell? My charger just quit on one battery pack and its reading 4.09 volts

RC Racer
    Nevermind, i had it under a different battery setting lol. If these batteries make it another month i will be surprised habahababa

Most of the good charger will require a separate Power Supply. So when people say you can get a great charger for 170-80 dollars they're not including the power supply.

Personal I'm looking at this charger, http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-powerlab-6.html.
    I am.... $180 includes a ParaBoard, power supply, and a 20 amp charger.

RC Racer

I am.... $180 includes a ParaBoard, power supply, and a 20 amp charger.
    Sorry, I stand corrected.

That would be with a power supply that you built yourself though, right?

Yes.... that would be converting a server power supply; they make extremely reliable power supplies for RC use.
    Here are a set of directions that does not even require soldering... so simple even my wife with no mechanical or electrical knowledge what so ever could follow them.

I think I will add that the PL6 is no slouch of a charger... it was one of the final contenders when I was searching for a charger. The only reason the iCharger 206 was chosen over the PL6 was it's compact size... it would fit in my charge case better. lol
    I have contemplated getting a PL6 or even a PL8 for bench charging if I ever get more than a few RC drivers around my house.

RC Enthusiast
    so would the onyx 245 be ok for the Nmih battery's?

RC Qualifier
    Very good info on batteries and chargers but, for the lube question, dry lube, dry lube and dry lube. If it's wet, dust & dirt will stick to it and be abrasive between the moving parts.
    PM me for help converting your Summit to brushless

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyrty View Post
    so would the onyx 245 be ok for the Nmih battery's?
    I've been using the 245 since I first got my Summit almost a year ago. It does just fine on my stock NiMh's and my 5000mAh NiMh's. Had I researched a little more I might have gotten something else, but much like his grace I was supporting my LHS as well
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Champion
    I just drive the cars till the cells read 3.7-3.8.
    I have a couple of lipo alarms and a lipo volt meter that reads each cell. Very inexpensive, $6-10 on amazon.

I have to run the alarm on my summit since the esc is not a LVC unit.
    Last edited by Zepher; 01-23-2013 at 01:49 AM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,