RC Racer

Range difference between the new TQi and the standard TQ transmitter??

So my son has a newer Summit with the TQi 2.4ghz transmitter and I have the standard TQ 2.4ghz without traxxas link. Seems like he can go way longer distance than I can. I am getting about 150' range out of mine. Would it be worth upgrading to the new TQi transmitter on my truck?

Also, when I first got my truck, it seemed like it went further, but now it's not. Two things I changed since first running it. First, I am now running LiPo's, and second, I have added the LVA's. Would those be effecting the long distant range???

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    LiPo and LVA's do not have any effect on range.
    If your radio is not a "high output" version, that is the cause of the difference in range between yours and the TQi. You do not have to get a TQi to get high output... there are LINK versions that have high output.
    Depending on how long ago you got yours, there could be more interference in your area, shortening range. More and more devices are eating up the 2.4 bandwidth.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    LiPo and LVA's do not have any effect on range.
    If your radio is not a "high output" version, that is the cause of the difference in range between yours and the TQi. You do not have to get a TQi to get high output... there are LINK versions that have high output.
    Depending on how long ago you got yours, there could be more interference in your area, shortening range. More and more devices are eating up the 2.4 bandwidth.
    My LVA's are mounted high up on the back "H" bar and they are close to the antenna. They are not enclosed at all either.

We are talking a difference in about 3 days, so I don't believe that there are more devices messing with the range. I will try removing the LVA's for a bit and see if that makes a difference. I have had issues with other wireless devices and these things can cause issues, that's why I was asking if anyone else has seen the issue.
    Last edited by Piranha-z; 12-24-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Gentlemen it is Christmas Eve please stop the bickering and name calling so I dont have to go to the infraction tab and start handing out warning points. Please keep comments constructive and polite or just keep them to yourself.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power