Thread: TQ1 - Telemetry

RC Enthusiast

TQ1 - Telemetry

Hey Guys,

I just took delivery of my new receiver and TQ1 controller with iPod/iPhone dock.

Just wonder if any one has fitted the telemetry on a Spartan. If so which sensors did you get? Is the data you're getting useful? Does it cut down battery life, much?

Sydney spartan

RC Qualifier
    So far I have the temp. & battery sensor installed, for the RPM it might hard to put, cause no spur gear to put on the sensor magnet I think someone did it already but I can't find it anymore.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Competitor
    Hi you epoxy a 5x5mm neodymium magnet to the top of the collet coupling and then super/epoxy the sensor wire so it sits over the magnet and bingo gone but the rpm fine but the speedis out buy loads as the boats shaft turns at 28,000 - 37,000 rpm ish i done the full Telemetry package back last year, nightmare to get the speed to work only way is the GPS and Traxxas dont have a release date yet

RC Qualifier
    The GPS kit is expensive it will cost $150, and I'm not sure if it works on water. I'd rather buy a Marine GPS.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    I would be careful with that setup PVTspoon, I would be concerned that your setup with the magnet is going throw off the balance of the motor shaft and possibly create premature wear on the motor. Even the smallest amount of weight added to thaft shaft if not balanced is going to create some imbalance when spinning at 20K+ RPM. This would also translate to the rest of your driveline.

I am surprised you would have to go to that length just to get the telemetry data. I think you might be able to get the same data using the ICE hydra series from castle which has data logging. They are expensive ESCs, but if your already spending $150 or so on that telemetry kit, your almost to the cost of the ESC.
    Last edited by jetnfast; 12-30-2012 at 10:03 AM.

RC Competitor
    Jetnfast sorry about the long reply but i wanted live data im not looking for REC. data (data logging) for later yes the ICE hydra series ($399.00) Data may be read from the controller after a run using the Castle Link USB adapter and a Windows PC running using Castle Link software, but who takes a laptop to the lake or pool with them ? i have an iphone and the app was free and i live in the Uk so i get a great exchange rate on the $ so it was no where near $150 and as i said i did its "12 months ago" and when talking to Traxxas they would do it this way too as i sent emails with pics too them as the rpm was out Quote from email off traxxas " You cannot convert RPM into MPH on a boat. The only way to get your speed would be with the GPS module."

As for the wear on the motor no signs yet and its had a very busy year of shows and run time and the Motor is spot on, but then after every use it gets striped down with flex stops in a bath of oil untill next use and the motor get a good oil on both bearings

the only issue i have with the Spartan at the moment is you guys call it (chin walk) in the Uk its called torque roll and that doing my head in to stop it barrel rolling anything above 2/3 power still playing with battery placement and trim tabs adjustments