RC poster

The Only Rally Left...

So I feel like my bone-stock Rally is just about the only one left. I am almost ready to start throwing some upgrades on after I get my back-ordered chassis in the mail, but I have a few questions for you all.

1) Why does it seem like all of the Rally's are going to a blistering fast on-road setup? Why not build a X0-1 and really tear up the tarmac? Extended wheelbases, diffusers, slicks, foams, etc. Why do most of you decide to go this route? I'm not bashing by any means, but I'd like to know if there is some reason behind the decision to go strictly on-road.

As for my upgrade plan. I like to bash around the parking lots, but I would like a bit more speed. I'll switch my gearing to get a bit better top speed with my 2s and go from there. I like the looks of the aluminum body GTR shocks from the X0-1, but are they suitable for parking lot bashing (perhaps with a spring and oil change)? I'll go with the standard RPM arms, aluminum steering bits, shock towers, motor mount, etc. By that time I'll have a good idea of the direction I want to take with the car and I'll be consulting you fine folks again. For now I'll just be going for strength as I watch the Rally's turn into race cars.

Me personally I already have an offroader already, so the slash 4x4 always seemed to me like a great platform for an on road car. Then traxxas releases the rally 1/10, which intrigued me even more. So I am upgrading my erevo and end up with a spare esc and motor that IMO would be perfect for a 1/10 buggy or on road car. And basically that began my quest for an onroader, why well why not. It is an awesome platform for just that, traxxas already has a load of offroaders, and as far as the X01, have you seen the prices of those things, you really have to ask, lol! The rally is smaller, cheaper, and potentially faster.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC poster
    Hey man, fair enough! You make a good point with the plethora of offroad vehicles available and the X0-1 being so expensive (I haven't even looked at prices for it). I'm all about tinkering, taking things apart and putting them back together, making things perform better than they did out of the box, and I suppose this is the perfect platform to do all of those.

Why? Well, why not? I like that.

If traxxas would do a new 4tec that would be awesome too! That reminds me of an offroad buggy project the Jang made out of a 4tec, lol! This hobby is full of wonder.

http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/projects/trx-4/
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I have no interest in an XO-1 due to its size, limited usefulness and price. I like the idea that I can bash in a dirty parking lot or dirt road and not worry about breaking stuff. My rally rarely every gets jumped. But I like that its a rally style car so it drifts and can handle rough parking lots. I had an Ofna GTP2E and it was cool (like a smaller, cheaper XO1) but I could only drive it on clean parking lots. I can run the Rally anywhere.

It also is cheap to build and fix and with a few minor mods, durable as heck. For the price of an XO-1 you can have a FULLY ****** rally with all the upgrades including a really fast power system AND a few sets of tires and wheels and STILL have enough money left over to buy a sweet charger and a bunch of lipos.

OR... for the price of ONE XO-1, you can pretty much buy TWO rallys... set one up for off road, one up for on road... Id rather do that anyway.

If your just going to bash in parking lots, you dont need new shocks. If you MUST have new shocks, the best and easiest choice would be the slash 4X4 Platinum shocks. They are similar to the XO1 units but fit the rally perfectly. The kingheadz motormount with oversized bearing is a must have IMO. The arms are pretty durable if your not hitting curbs. They are about the only thing I HAVENT upgraded and so far, have never broken one. If you plan to run on hard surfaces like pavement, pick up a second set of tires because the stock ones wont last long.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

My Rally is still pretty much 100% stock except for my battery case mod to allow a bigger battery than the 3000mah supplied nimh. It's pretty difficult not to upgrade/mod a Traxxas truck if you spend much time on these forums.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

^^ Too true. Its like your obligated to upgrade despite not REALLY needing any. The rally really was fine stock when you consider what its for... but wheres the fun in that?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Same thing happened when I got a JATO when it first came out. I had no interest in the forums, then a few months in I joined and was astounded with what people were doing. The only thing I've broken is the actual chassis itself (I think it twisted a bit as it cracked only on one side and everything else is fine) and I've had a blast with this thing as it comes out of the box.....but that's never enough.

I decided today that I am probably NOT going to go for an on-road setup despite several of you guys making it look awesome. I'm just going to go for the aluminum parts (steering, motor mount, shock towers, blah blah) and beef it up a bit. I'm running 2s right now, but eventually once I get the thing wrapped in upgrades I'll get a different motor/ESC.

I've had two parts wish lists running (one for definite upgrades and one for on-road parts), but I completely did away with the on-road list. I just want a strong, fast, drifting machine that can take a bit of abuse (dirty lots, some dirt fields, etc.)

Mine is setup for drifting in the dirt. I do have onroad tires for it, but that only when I want to drive drift style on dry pavement. The stock tires dont last long under those conditions (though I do like how they handle). Havent had a chance to try the street tires... but I wont be changing the suspension to run them thats for sure. This thing is meant to get dirty.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I ran my GREEN rally set for offroad with a new set of slick's in the parking lot at work. It would drift like mad and would spin into doughnut's when you were moving forward fast with a quick throttle and steering input. We set up a bit of an onroad course for fun. The Rally would lean alot but with the slick's it would not slide out unless you were really pushing it in the corner's. The right setup and tire's I think it would do well in onroad race's.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Racer
    I set my rally up for onroad and off road. I have a short course body and the pf8 you see alot of people using. I was debating on going with an xo-1, but the parking lot I usually bash it is really rough. I didn't the think xo-1 would handle to well on it. For around what I would spend on the xo-1 I got an offroad and onroad setup.