RC Competitor

Best price for new Summit?

Hi everyone. I've been shopping for a Summit and I've found one on eBay NEW IN BOX for about $555 which also includes shipping. I might check my local shop but I have a feeling they'll be really expensive. The only place we have is actually an ATV dealership that randomly sells Traxxas in a corner of their store. They might not even have one in stock anyways. Any ideas on where I can buy a Summit for cheaper or is $555 about the best I'll do?

I did look at used but there is almost nothing used for sale at a price that would draw me away from a new one.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Which version is it?
    The reason I ask is because there are slight differences... the most recent is the remote (TQi vs TQ LINK) and the ESC (Low Votage Detection vs no detection). Being such a low price, it may be an older version... which is not that big of a deal. There is no real difference between the box stock radios other than the TQi does not have a 5 or 6 inch antenna. There is no difference between the ESC's other than the LVD. If it happens to be the one without LVD and you want to run LiPo, LVA (Low Voltage Alarms) are cheap at about $5 and will work just as well as a LVD ESC.

The cheapest price I found shipped is $570... I think it is going to be hard to beat a $555 priced Summit!!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Thanks a lot for the info, Jimmie. This is the link I was referring to with the price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas-...90734423335%26

I have two more questions:

1. If I want to go for the 8000mah batteries, do you recommend a certain one?

2. Do you recommend any sites for good values on tires and batteries, etc?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Thats One of the newer models but its impossible to tell if it has LVD built into the ESC or not because the red graphic models (like that one) did come with NO LVD at first, and when the switched to the LVD models, the part number didnt change.

Im in canada and cant tell if your getting free shipping or not. But keep in mind you may have to pay shipping on top of the price.

Great truck though.

For batteries, check out SPCracing. Their 8000mah 2S packs are excellent. In terms of tires, leave them stock if you want to crawl and run trails. They work really well.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Great and thank you! I would prefer to leave as much stock as possible mainly so I dont have to spend any more money! But is there anything you recommend I upgrade if I'm just doing some crawling and trail running? My main purpose of use will be driving it around the redwood trails here where it can get pretty wet and slippery.

Lower the body (free). Thats a big one. Make sure your servos are centred and not buzzing. Break in the motor properly. Go have fun.

The summit doesnt really "require" anything to be used the way its intended. Many other trucks over promise and under deliver. The summit does EXACTLY what it says it does and it does it VERY well. No real mods necessary.

There are lots of things you CAN do. I really like Tbone chassis and A-Arm skid plates. I prefer a single servo. You can strengthen the servo saver with the washer mod, install a dewalt 14.4 volt motor... lots of stuff. But non of them are really "necessary".

Lowering the body help with centre of gravity. The body is heavy and it sits WAY up high. Lowering it makes the truck less likely to flip over when things get steep. And its free... so do it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Pav has lots of good advice!!

From what I understand, if it comes with the TQi it also has the new LVD ESC.
    So I would feel safe to assume that one is 100% LiPo ready!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Pav has lots of good advice!!

From what I understand, if it comes with the TQi it also has the new LVD ESC.
    So I would feel safe to assume that one is 100% LiPo ready!
    Just adding to what Jimmie said, up to 5s lipos, in case that slips by you and you fry ur ESC.
    Last edited by warnerhouse; 12-26-2012 at 06:36 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Here is part of the Description from your link Humbolt and from what I copy and pasted this is the newer model with the LVD and is one great price for free ground shipping, jump on it fast before its gone.

FEATURES: Chassis: Fiber-composite with composite center skidplate sheild and
    scalable battery compartments that accept 6 and 7 cell sport packs
    and LiPo packs quick release battery doors and cooling vents
    Lighting System: Ten LEDs four white LEDs in front and six red LEDs
    in rear integrated into bumpers with chassis mounted wiring harness
    Drive: Four wheel shaft drive
    Motor: Traxxas Titan 775 10 turn with fan-cooled armature
    Radio: Traxxas TQi 2.4GHz high output with Traxxas Link automatic
    model recognition telemetry enabled 5-ch micro receiver with dual
    channel 1 inputs see COMMENTS below...
    Radio Box: Waterproof
    Electronic Speed Control: Traxxas EVX-2 (TRAM0019) 16.8V forward and
    reverse with patent pending training mode equipped with Traxxas
    high current connectors
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC poster
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXZGR6**&P=ML

$605 less $80 coupon with free shipping.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Luck4MVP View Post
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXZGR6**&P=ML

$605 less $80 coupon with free shipping.
    Plus a $10 gift certificate http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/traxxas/index.html

You gotta be a gold member to get the $80 off coupon. Not everyone can get that.

Keep in mind guys. There WERE versions of the TQi summit that came WITHOUT the LVD ESC. Notice the description doesnt SAY LVD or anything about lipo compatibility. So it may not have that. If it doesnt, a $5 LVA fixes the problem. So its not a huge deal.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I didn't know that about the TQi not having LVD...
    learn something new everyday!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    You gotta be a gold member to get the $80 off coupon. Not everyone can get that.

Keep in mind guys. There WERE versions of the TQi summit that came WITHOUT the LVD ESC. Notice the description doesnt SAY LVD or anything about lipo compatibility. So it may not have that. If it doesnt, a $5 LVA fixes the problem. So its not a huge deal.
    R u surer? http://www.towerhobbies.com/coupon_codes.html the coupons are on the front page

RC poster
    534.99 with 90$ off gold member coupon. Now that I read this post I double checked on tower to see what I paid and I see the summit is 20$ cheaper now then when I ordered it.

RC Racer
    I like the summits. Even though they have the lvc I still run the lva's because i let my kids drive these on lipos. They do not pay real close attention to the signs of the lvc. $555.00 is a great price anyday on a New summit. And buy the alarms.

RC Competitor
    OH MAN! I loaded up the cart on Tower Hobbies and it said $534.99 OUT THE DOOR! I really want it but didn't expect to find a great deal so soon. So thats a pretty awesome price?

RC Competitor
    been debating all day with myself whether or not to pull the trigger on this! lol

RC Qualifier
    Your getting $80 off, free shipping, and $10 gift certficate... what's to think about

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi single View Post
    Your getting $80 off, free shipping, and $10 gift certficate... what's to think about
    haha I know. And the sooner I order it, the sooner it'll get here!

RC Competitor
    How long will the stock batteries run for? Anyone know?

RC Competitor
    Also, are these traxxas plugs the same as mini tamiya plugs?

Is there any reason NOT to get 8000mah packs?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post

Wrong, the $80 is on the home page.

Quote Originally Posted by humboldtsmoke View Post
    Also, are these traxxas plugs the same as mini tamiya plugs?

Is there any reason NOT to get 8000mah packs?
    No the plugs are different

No the 8000 are a excellent choice for this truck.you may want to to research a better charging setup though

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    I ordered my Summit last night and got it for $535 out the door, but sadly, they say it won't ship until Monday Its only one state over so hopefully it gets here pretty quick but with New Years, I'm just crossing my fingers for the end of next week!

THANKS VERY MUCH TO ALL OF THE VERY HELPFUL FOLKS HERE! I wouldn't have just spent $800 on my new stuff if it wasnt for you guys, hahaha.

I went with the iCharger 206B with parallel cables, 8000mah SPC packs, and I'm going to make my own DPS-600PB series ESP135 power supply

Nice charge system...
    Your batteries will thank you!

RC Competitor
    I got my charger from progessive RC and it just shipped I just ordered it, too! Very happy. It comes with some "boards" but don't I just need a parallel charge cable and parallel jst-xx3 (forgot the letters)? Thanks to Jamann too for sending me some good advice and a great link to the PSU DIY guide

You will be much happier and safer with that charger.your batteries will be much much happier.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    don't I just need a parallel charge cable and parallel jst-xx3 (forgot the letters)?

Yes.I went with the para board for convenience and neatness.
    Also if at some point you want or need to charge other packs like 3s don't need new charge cables.the board supplies multiple 2s 3s 4s 5s 6s balance ports.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    I just got one from tower 2 weeks ago and i got one with the built in lvc

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Concrete does not digest well...

RC Competitor
    thanks! just cancelled my order for the JST cable