RC Qualifier

Dr-1 Not very stable

I been trying to tune my dr1 got it down a few times.. But ones I let it sit during charging I basically have to adjust the trims all over again.. Oh yeah and my tail broke off fairly easy..

Any one else with a dr1?
    7107 Merv Brushless, Soon to be Big Block

RC Qualifier
    I got two and gave one to a friend tonight, both are very stable in calm air. I flew my friends right out of the box and it set in one place with no input from the tx. No complaints here, they are problem free so far...

RC poster
    I've burnt up a motor in my dr1 all ready.

RC Qualifier
    I have an easy 25-30 flights with my DR-1 and I haven't had any problems with it. It has had a few crashes and bounced off the wall a few times, my dog even snatched it out of the air once and it is holding up great. My first 20 or so flights were in beginner mode before I switched over to expert mode. The biggest problem I have with the trim is when the battery shifts. I have also found that if I make sure the battery faces the same direction every time I install it I dont have to adjust the trim very much if at all. I am very impressed with the DR-1 and couldnt be happier with it!
    No Limit RC of Maryland

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I've flown my DR-1 about 20+ times with much success. It's a blast to fly and keeps the little guy and I busy indoors during rainy winter days. The only things ive done are scuffed the blades and cracked the shell. We have a very open concept house, LR, Kitchen, Dining all free for flying, persay. The ceilings are about 18ft tall and 35 x 20' wide area. The wife doesnt much care for us to fly them by her, she thinks we might fly into her. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    Mine started out pretty stable, but after a few flights and maybe 3 zero-power "crashes" on carpet, it's all over the place and won't stay still (room is dead calm). It started shaking after that, too, especially at low revs. Hate that my trims seem to re-center on their own all the time, too. The $20 3-channel my 6-year old flys around the house is way more durable. Countless crashes and it continues to work perfectly. My DR-1 after about 10 flights is now collecting dust because Traxxas didn't supply the hobby stores with parts and nobody has any idea when they will be available. Awesome. The flybar broke when the DR1 twice crashed after experiencing "blade clash" in expert mode, turning the helicopter into an epileptic ball of confused rotor blades. Not cool. The forward "speed" is pathetic, too. It literally travels much faster sideways and backward than it travels forward. Again, my son's $20 heli moves forward faster. I love my E-Maxx 4wd truck and my 2 Slashes, but I'm sorry to say I'm disappointed with the effort here with the DR-1. Once I (eventually) get a new flybar assembly installed, maybe I'll be able to update this with more positive things to say.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by P.M. View Post
    Mine started out pretty stable, but after a few flights and maybe 3 zero-power "crashes" on carpet, it's all over the place and won't stay still (room is dead calm). It started shaking after that, too, especially at low revs. Hate that my trims seem to re-center on their own all the time, too. The $20 3-channel my 6-year old flys around the house is way more durable. Countless crashes and it continues to work perfectly. My DR-1 after about 10 flights is now collecting dust because Traxxas didn't supply the hobby stores with parts and nobody has any idea when they will be available. Awesome. The flybar broke when the DR1 twice crashed after experiencing "blade clash" in expert mode, turning the helicopter into an epileptic ball of confused rotor blades. Not cool. The forward "speed" is pathetic, too. It literally travels much faster sideways and backward than it travels forward. Again, my son's $20 heli moves forward faster. I love my E-Maxx 4wd truck and my 2 Slashes, but I'm sorry to say I'm disappointed with the effort here with the DR-1. Once I (eventually) get a new flybar assembly installed, maybe I'll be able to update this with more positive things to say.
    Sorry to hear that you are frustrated, it sounds like you may have a bent prop on your QR-1. The best thing to do when you find yourself in those types of situations is to give our customer support team a call at 1-888-Traxxas and they will do everything they can to get you helped out.

You may try the transmitter reset in the owners manual for your DR-1 to help its forward speed. Blade strike should not occur in expert mode on the DR-1 unless the throws are turned up past where they come out of the box. Another thing to note is that the stock throws in the transmitter for the DR-1 and QR-1 are different. So if you fly your DR-1 with your QR-1 remote, there is a posibility for blade strikes to occur while changing direction rapidly.

RC poster
    I'll give the reset a shot regarding the forward flight. Everything else is not applicable as I only have the DR-1. The blade clash (where blades from the upper rotor strike and tangle with blades from the lower rotor) most certainly happens with my DR-1 remote's default settings, but only in expert mode. Maybe the reset will help with that, too, though. Should have the new flybars next week. Thanks for posting the suggestions.

RC Racer
    shutterm4: I doubt that a transmitter reset will help the issue. I told PeterV these stability issues were going to happen and after seeing how they come out of the box I'm not surprised.

P.M.: I have a dr-1 along with most of the other co-ax helis available, it's no bad, though the fly-bar is a little week. I've also broken the fly-bar, standard hobby CA(super glue) has been a pretty good fix so far depending on where it decided to break.
    The little $20 helis are so durable because they have almost no moving parts compared to a heli with full cyclic control.
    Co-ax choppers aren't really designed to fly at any speed, they're more of a learning tool to get the controls down. I haven't really found a fix for forward flight other than to turn the rates up, which you can do on one channel.
    My guess on your control and stability issue starts with one part: the swashplate(part 6324 center of the exploded parts view). These tend to separate after a few crashes and they don't really end up noticed. The parts view shows it as three pieces that make up one component, that should be tightly assembled as such:

If yours looks like that then it should be good, if there is a larger gap then try gently pushing the pieces back together.

I also think that a lot of people's stability issues are caused by the blade tension, how easily the blade wants to swing in the holder. I think you are confusing blade clash(top striking bottom) with the sound of the blades swinging into there things.
    Swing blades are good at deflecting from impact and not breaking, but with the low head speed of co-ax choppers they can sometimes be too loose to effectively move through the air. The same goes for too tight, the blades may not fling out properly and the heli won't fly right.
    The most stable flight I have found is with the blades slightly tight.
    This is the heli on its side, a slight shake and the blades will move slightly.

This is when blades are loose, simply turning the heli on it's side causes them to fall.

It's really an experimentation type of thing that you have to play with the get the heli to fly how you want it to.

I have even turned the rates up to 100% an I have not had the blades clash into each other.

I you feel that you are constantly trying to trim the heli and your swash plate is fine, you may want to try adjusting the linkages to the swashplate from the servo. They are standard turnbuckles. If your having issues with the tail what a lot of people miss is that the tail will recenter when you land the heli. You do not want to try and trim it out, just land it for 3 seconds.

D'reng
    Wow! Really great info Geo! Thanks for posting.

Possible Solution for P.M.

Quote Originally Posted by P.M. View Post

Attention P.M. I recently repaired a DR-1 that was doing exactly what you describe. It was shaking at low rpm and wandering all over the place when in flight. It turned out that one of the pegs that locates and drives one of the rotor blade grips was broken. The one on the other side of the same set of grips was still in tact so it wasn't obvious just by looking at it and that is also why that set of rotor blades still appeared to be functioning properly. There are two sets of rotor blade grips (part number 6322). You only need to remove two screws on each rotor blade grip to remove it and see if all 4 pegs(2 for the top grips, 2 for the bottom grips) are still in tact. The blade grip screws are the two closest to the shaft. The two screws that are farther from the shaft are the ones that attach the blade itself to the grip; you don't need to remove those. The grips will come off with the blades still attached. You can also improve your forward speed significantly by adding as much forward trim as you can without the DR-1 flying forward on its own. Even if you think it is trimmed pretty well, experiment with putting in as much forward trim as you can get away with. Every click of forward trim you have in it will make it go that much faster in forward but surprisingly will not cause it to drift too badly forward when the stick is in the neutral position.

RC poster
    GeoVW72: sorry for the late reply; I've been off the grid for a bit. Thanks for all that great advice. I'm looking forward to playing around with the blade screw tension, and I'll have a look at the swash plate and linkages. In expert mode, it is easy for my upper and lower blades to strike each other during helicopter direction changes. I have learned to just not make rapid direction changes. Thanks for taking the time to post all that info and the pics.
    Same thanks to you, Propsmoke. I do believe that much of the vibrations were due to that little tiny hidden plastic knob on the upper (inner) shaft being broken off. (The knob fits into the blade grip) I was trying to glue it but hopelessly lost it when it fell into the carpet. I had already CA'd the flybar back together. Finally got new flybar assemblies, though. Most of the rest of the vibration went away when I tried swapping out all the blades for the spares even though there was practically no visible damage to the original blades. Still have to retrim everything with every battery change, but it is a lot of fun to fly around. I was going to use a slightly longer servo horn to make it go forward faster than a snail's pace. I'm guessing those servos are considered "sub-micro"?). There's no room to make a hole farther out on the stock horn. The helicopter goes sideways and backward at a perfectly acceptable and fun speed, but ironically forward flight is super-slow. I'll just start flying it backwards more often!

Excellent forum. Thanks again.

RC poster
    Well, increasing the forward trim setting has made the DR-1 so much more fun to fly. It speeds - instead of crawls - forward now! I actually have had to dial the trim back from full forward because it was a little too fast for inside my house, especially in expert mode. Great tip, Propsmoke (aka, El Supremo). I also think that any remaining trim/stability issues that I was seeing (even after blade and flybar replacement) are moot, now, because the helicopter is flying forward faster and requires user-initiated direction changes before any minor instability becomes apparent. Thanks.

P.M.