RC Qualifier

Got one finally !!!

Yup, today i finallt got my Merv. Man this car is a blast. Picked up (2) 2s lipos and the connectors to run paralle or series. Cant wait til tomorrow and get some run time in . I'll post up some better pics or videos after the new year when im back to work pc.

E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Qualifier
    Nice but be carful with 4s power your asking for trouble..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    stick with parallel and stock gearing now that it's cooler . keep an eye on the temps to be safe!

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Dont run the lipos in series. You'll only end up with a burnt out ESC. 14.4 volts is a bit of overkill for the ESC. 14.8 can't possibly be any better.

RC Qualifier
    Oh man you fellas were right here. This thing is ******* nuts on 4s. I can even get the thing wide open without it flipping over. In my attemps, it cost me an A-Arm lol. Even going easy on the throttle to ease up to max speed, at 3/4 throttle you just go for that last little bit, and it wheelies right over. I cant belive how crazy this thing can go. But yeah, normally Im gonna stick to 2s. I highly recommend this truck, its an absolute blast to drive.

RC poster
    Just opened my (red) MERV for Christmas. It's awesome, can't wait to get some real runtime in this weekend! My son's is blue. I'm so envious of him getting to play with his all day while I'm stuck here at work!

RC Qualifier
    What batteries did you go with Dave ? Or you just running stock ?

RC poster
    just stock NiMH for now. Will end up with LiPos eventually. Still learning the ropes with it. This is the first non-toy RC I've ever touched, and the first one at all in a decade or more.

RC Racer
    You'll use lipo in a future, is a must.
    But to get to know the truck the nimh is ok. I run with it for like a month, then upgraded to 2s lipo with a simple 2s-3s balance charger (charge it in 3 and a half hour), and now I'm waiting for a good charger, icharger 106b+. I really get bore of waiting so long to get my lipos charge :S

RC poster
    I looked at iCharger last night. As I understand, they require an external power supply, and the charger is really just the controller for charging? They look like modified PC power supplies. Am thinking the 206B looks pretty sweet and full featured. Maybe after I finish paying for Christmas I'll pick one of these up. By then, I may not be flipping the car so much

RC Racer
    Oynx 240 Charger is great for the Father Son battery charger. Charges 2 batteries at the same time with a built in balancer.
    2 MERV's
    2 1/18 Mini Desert Truck & Buggy

RC poster
    Looking for something that will do LiPos too... only a matter of time till I go there

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You are on the right track... the iCharger line ROCKS.
    I personally have a 206... LOVE it! Much better than anything in the Onyx line.

Here are a few build threads of mine on server power supply conversions:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ply-Conversion
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ply-Conversion
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...SPS-conversion...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Great posts on the PS conversion. I can probably drum up an old server power supply from work, we have several decommissioned severed that will never go back online.

RC poster
    OK Jimmie,

I'm going to be lazy here. DC Circuit Analysis class was too many years ago for me

looking at the icharger 206b specs

Input Voltage: 10-28 Volts
    Maximum Charge Power Capacity:300 watt at input voltage greater than 18 volt

So to generate the max charging capacity, you need at least 18 volts input? With only a single server PS, you'd only generate 12v, so you couldn't charge at the full 300 watt capacity. How will this affect the number of batteries that can be concurrently charged? will it still charge 6 cells and just take longer than if it had the full 300 watts? <clear as mud?>

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Yes, at least 18v to get full capacity.
    It will still charge 6S with only 12v in, but not at 300w. This is why hooking two SPS in series is key to get full capacity out of most (if not all) high end chargers. (not high end as in price, but high end as in POWER) As long as you have 30 amps available at 24v (18v+) you can charge at full capacity for a 206. I like to give the SPS a little head room on amperage.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With mine running one of my power supplies I can get 500 watts at only around 12.5 volts. Haven't had to run my 2nd one yet