RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)

Lightbulb Another Thing Traxxas Should Include in Their RTR's

A temperature gun!!! The amount of noobs asking "what should my gearing be?" is absurd. You already include poopy nimh batteries and poopy chargers, how about something useful? I'm sure you guys could buy them for like $3-5 a piece to include in all RTRs. I love how the manual says to keep brushless motors under 200*, but gives you no way of checking.

Peace
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

Yeah but then everyone would have a pile of them kicking around much like the wall chargers when you realize a $3 temp gun is not going to work and be accurate at all for any extended amount of time

Not the worst idea I have heard though.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Champion
    Or maybe noobs should quit playing with their gearing if they have no way of monitoring temps lol. Maybe some fried electronics would teach them a lesson. Not a bad idea zball94... just a little too much IMO
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Qualifier
    I think Traxxas should improve there electronics so its not necessary.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Champion
    I think it would be useful in the nitro models but not so much with electrics.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    the thing is that there are many household temp guns that are cheap and that can measure accurately
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Champion
    True. Also I've been doing this hobby for about 2 years, and I've never once used a temp gun. Ever
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

Quote Originally Posted by upbasher View Post
    True. Also I've been doing this hobby for about 2 years, and I've never once used a temp gun. Ever
    That really does not make it right, I use them all the time and have saved myself many issues and a lot of $$$ by using a temp gun.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

even if they aren't accurate to within a degree, its still better than the touch test.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Champion
    i for one and tired of the prices going up so high - the more they add, the higher the price is going to go.

I wish they sold their electronics at a more affordable price and I wish they offered Kits.

bring the cost down and offer price options

I think temp guages and temp guns should be a decision the hobbyist makes... SOme want an onboard, some want a gun style others a handheld gauge... Then there's the ones with radio telemetry...

I also do not want to pay for a temp gun/gauge in a product if I already have one. I don't need 5 of them...

Then Traxxas would need to support the temp gun, another section in the forums? Nay!!!!

It gives the hobby shop the opportunity for an upsale depending on the situation. I know the LHS that used to sponsor me (now closed), the owner would insist their sales people to find out if they are new to the hobby, if so then a temp gauge was a must and often he would throw one in for free if they bought extra batteries, fuel, chargers etc....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

Here's an idea. I've used them before for non-r/c applications, but can't believe nobody has thought of using them on their electric or nitro r/c's yet.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Tem...DG3?Pid=search

They are self-adhesive and can be applied directly to a motor, cooling head, heat sink, or pretty much any other application where temps need to be monitored.

Sometimes I'm so smart that I even amaze myself.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Here's an idea. I've used them before for non-r/c applications, but can't believe nobody has thought of using them on their electric or nitro r/c's yet.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Tem...DG3?Pid=search

They are self-adhesive and can be applied directly to a motor, cooling head, heat sink, or pretty much any other application where temps need to be monitored.

Sometimes I'm so smart that I even amaze myself.
    People are using similar things to that on here, its nothing new!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    People are using similar things to that on here, its nothing new!
    Oh, thought I was onto something new.

Guess I just haven't been looking hard enough. If that's the case, why are people still so obsessed with temp guns?

RC Qualifier
    I don't know, I use the temp strips. I like them!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post

Hmmm.. this idea is new to me too. Sounds like a great idea if it'll stay in place. But we need one with a temp reset on it, the one in the link stays at the highest temp, so you'd have to rip it off and put a new one on.

Sent from my Kindle.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Hmmm.. this idea is new to me too. Sounds like a great idea if it'll stay in place. But we need one with a temp reset on it, the one in the link stays at the highest temp, so you'd have to rip it off and put a new one on.

Sent from my Kindle.

Not 100% sure, but I wanna say they make ones that are re-useable. Even if not, I'm pretty sure that if something got hotter than usual, it would still read the higher number, just nothing lower than the initial temp. But, worst case, you would only need to apply a new one if you made some sort of drastic change to gearing or battery voltage. Or when trying a new motor. Once you get your setup and get a temp reading, you should be good to go.

As far as staying attached, my buddy used them on his Honda CRF-450R after he modded the motor. That bike went through all sorts of mud and water conditions and the temp strip stayed stuck to the cylinder for a couple years.

RC Qualifier
    temp guns are vital though, since heat IS the enemy of electric
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.