Thread: Motor Problem

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

Motor Problem

I just got my QR1 yesterday. So this morning I was flying it and I landed the heli. Then when I tried to come back up it limped away in a diagonal direction. Upon closer inspection one of the motors wasn't spinning very much at all. Anyone had this problem?

Seems this is a some what of a common issue with the QR-1. Check out the video link below it explains how to fix the most common cause of this.

http://traxxas.com/support/QR-1-Moto...justment-Video
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Dadx2mj, but it appears that it's something different though I don't know what it actually is.

RC Enthusiast
    Its the motor I have flown mine 2 times no crashes and lost a motor each time I am starting to believe these things are junk I have found out a lot of people are having problems with the motors there is even some on ebay for sale with bad motors if I can get mine going again I am going to let someone else worry about it

Quote Originally Posted by rc nitro junkie View Post
    Its the motor I have flown mine 2 times no crashes and lost a motor each time I am starting to believe these things are junk I have found out a lot of people are having problems with the motors there is even some on ebay for sale with bad motors if I can get mine going again I am going to let someone else worry about it
    Have you talked to Traxxas about this? No argument from me there have been some people with issues with the motor but I think calling them junk is going a little too far a little to soon. We have two QR-1s in the house adn they get flown a LOT, mine more than my son's because I have more time with him being in school and working full time. I probalby put anywhere from 3-6 packs thru mine a day and so far neither of us have had any motor issues. My son has had to re-align the ametures a time or two so far I have not at all.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't say they're junk. They may break a little too easily but they're not junk. And they're certainly not underpowered. They're like Mini Revos.

RC Qualifier
    I think I'm going to have to get 2 motors I pulled another one out of the black bottom piece. $10 more down the drain. I can already tell that this isn't going to be nearly as expensive as my $653 Mini Revo, though.

RC Enthusiast
    As a matter of fact I have talked to traxxas 4 times they have no parts in stock and you can find plenty of post about them going south after 1 OR 2 flights I still say junk I have a $95 helimax and a $45 syma that I have ran countless packs thru no problems if it looks walks and quacks like a duck then guess what its a duck

RC Enthusiast
    Im not trying to bash Traxxas I have over 50 models and 90% of them are Traxxas and I think they are great however I believe the qr-1s are lacking sorry

RC Champion
    I would have to agree with you %100. Maybe there is a reason it's the Qr-1? Version 1? lol. Trial run, version 2 new and improved with major issues fixed, and better quality parts/motors? Not ment to be a bash what so ever either. Everything I own is Traxxas and top notch quality, couldn't be happier with all of it, minus my Heli. I would probably feel different if I wasn't seeing many posts with people having issues, but I see TONS of them, tells me one thing. Quality is poor.

But for now, landbased Traxxas all the way. Air, staying away from TRX (for now).
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81
    I would probably feel different if I wasn't seeing many posts with people having issues, but I see TONS of them, tells me one thing. Quality is poor.
    What I am seeing is a handful of people posting a "ton" of time over and over again about their problems. I know you have had problems and no one likes it when something new does not work as hoped but you did post that Traxxas is taking care of you did you not?
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Yes they are taking care of me. I didn't say anything about me having issues in that above post. Just saying what I think of the quality. I said I am not happy with it. And yeah you are right no need to continue posting that. I apologize and this will be my last post on the matter.

Have to remember also, when something goes wrong, you always hear about it right away but you do never hear the good stories and the happy customers (well not as often). I am sure this forum would be filled with the good stories and people happy with them if more people posted about their experience, it would outweigh the bad ones for sure.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

RC Qualifier
    I'm gonna agree with that last paragraph. That's how it always works. When I'm looking for a hotel to stay in, obviously the bad experiences are going to be written up in a review, but if it's a normal nice stay, no review will be written (usually). I'm sure that the QR-1 is great and I'm stoked to open it and start flying. I'm going to be ultra gentle with it and learn very slowly.

RC Qualifier
    I'm sitting on the sidelines for now until more reviews show up as I want a DR-1. Maybe failures are due to the bashable reputation of Traxxas surface but try 'bashing' any brand heli and parts are gonna get broke (not to mention ur wallets ) I'm not sure what TRX air strategy is, whether a long term commitment or seasonal revenue boost one thing for sure it introduces a new rc customer into the brand.

If they expand the air line look no further than the current Hubsan porfolio for future helis ( or even planes ) just my speculation.

RC Enthusiast
    Its true traxxas support is 2nd to none and I see your point of view if my qr1 was flying perfect like yours I would not have visited this forum but this is not the only place where people are talking about having problems with the motors I have heard Janq from URC and Squirell from The Toys also talk about problems not with their qr1s but other peoples and just micro brushed motors in general I agree with Stephan81 this is my last post on the qr-1

This post has been edited to keep it within the rules. Please feel free to post constructive criticism but know that using words such as "junk' or "turd" to describe Traxxas products crosses the line and becomes Traxxas Bashing not constructive criticism.

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 12-23-2012 at 05:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Well I hate to rub salt in a wound but with many flights on 3 Qs and a couple DR's I don't have any real issues to report quality-wise. The DR seems to be a quality unit and flies great just stay out of any wind and the Q is more for pilots with basic flying skills in hand. It is quick, will cut the wind and takes your full attention to keep it in the air. The motors are wear items and will require replacement, All the heli's in this segement with this type of motor will have the same issue, once the wiper arms wear to the point of not making good contact with the armature it's game over, new motor time. So if that is unacceptable to you look for another unit but nothing is problem free, I wish it were but it's generally not. Anywho good luck to the people with problems hoping they get cured and you forget about the early letdown and just for the record to the creative forces at work, WE NEED PARTS SUPPORT!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Well, my father says he'll never buy a car in its first year, because it hasn't been tested against the public. I guess we can all learn from that, but someone had to be one of the first to break the qr1. But if you think its junk and are unhappy because of that, dont buy it.

RC Qualifier
    Got mine yesterday, have almost literally ate a set of props and just had to do an armature reset.

If I flew it gently, I wouldn't have issue number 1. I'm beating the crap out of this thing trying to get it to flip, so not bad at all so far, I really like it.

I also got a new DX6i, and the only thing bad I have to say is that I can't bind the two.

RC poster
    i had a similar problem except when i throttled up full it pulled to one side diaganaly for a second and it made a weird sound, i checked if the motor armature was out but the mototrs spun fine the only problem was that the motor that i was having problems with sounded louder when it was spun

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSnake View Post
    Got mine yesterday, have almost literally ate a set of props and just had to do an armature reset.

If I flew it gently, I wouldn't have issue number 1. I'm beating the crap out of this thing trying to get it to flip, so not bad at all so far, I really like it.

I also got a new DX6i, and the only thing bad I have to say is that I can't bind the two.
    try out the any link, it will allow you to bind the dx6i to almost anything.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by herobrin View Post
    i had a similar problem except when i throttled up full it pulled to one side diaganaly for a second and it made a weird sound, i checked if the motor armature was out but the mototrs spun fine the only problem was that the motor that i was having problems with sounded louder when it was spun
    squeeze the bottom of the motor with a pair of pliers, mine made the same noise and would then seize to a stop and this fixes it. you may not be able to see it out of place.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by newb View Post
    try out the any link, it will allow you to bind the dx6i to almost anything.
    I'll check it out, but I don't think the anylink will bind to the qr1. If you've done it let us know!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSnake View Post
    I'll check it out, but I don't think the anylink will bind to the qr1. If you've done it let us know!
    i dont know but there is a any link at the lhs and ill pick it up tomorrow and try it out

Quote Originally Posted by newb View Post
    i dont know but there is a any link at the lhs and ill pick it up tomorrow and try it out
    I would do some research before buying it. I dont think it will link with the QR-1 or DR-1,,,I could be wrong though.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I would do some research before buying it. I dont think it will link with the QR-1 or DR-1,,,I could be wrong though.
    That's the impression I was under. I have a dx6i and the anylink, but every thing I've read said it just won't work. Not to uncommon with these mini quads. The helimax is the only I know of off hand that works in the Mini category.

RC Racer
    no better way to find out than to try, i was looking at buying one anyways

RC Qualifier
    If you have any luck let us know!

I know people better than myself have tried (which isn't saying much lol)