RC Qualifier

aftermarket esc with stock velineon motor? 1/16 slash or merv.

i'm building a 1/16 slash and have a velineon 380 motor and want to put a little more powerfull esc in it that is similar in size to the stock esc. does anyone have some suggestions? i know neutron has one he says is comparable. i just want to run 3s with no heat issues. i have a 100a esc. but it's 1/10 scale and to big. i want a programmable one to. aat least punch control and lvc settings.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I went with a mmp without the fan which you don't need works great!

RC Qualifier
    Tekin makes a pretty small ESC. It's the only one I have seen that is an upgrade AND similar size.

RC Qualifier
    ********* 60 or EzRun60 are pretty cheap and no heat issues

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    I went with a mmp without the fan which you don't need works great!
    is yours sensored? I have a new MMP sensored esc and the fan looks molded into the case
    it's a tight fit with the fan but does work, love the esc!

Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    i'm building a 1/16 slash and have a velineon 380 motor and want to put a little more powerfull esc in it that is similar in size to the stock esc. does anyone have some suggestions? i know neutron has one he says is comparable. i just want to run 3s with no heat issues. i have a 100a esc. but it's 1/10 scale and to big. i want a programmable one to. aat least punch control and lvc settings.
    1/10th scale is what you are looking for.... any smaller and it will have heat issues.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Are any of these suggested ESC's waterproof?

HPI has a rebadged SV2 that is waterproof... Vapor I think is the name of it.
    Hobbywing also has a few that are waterproof.

RC Qualifier
    jimmie......links? oh...duh, nevermind. i didn't see you wrote the name in your post. lol
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    you know what. i jumped on the hobbywing website and looked at the hobbywing 60a esc. i have the same one just the 100a. came with my mini summit. guess that's what i'm gonna use. they're the same dimentions. i"m gonna do some transplanting!! the chassis on my merv already has holes in it from when i put my reciever on the esc side in the battery compartment. (had the esc where the reciever goes). i'll just take that chassis and cut enough out for the esc wires to clear, waterproof it, put the new chassis on the merv and walaa!! more power and waterproof. guess my project for today is to waterproof some esc's!!
    Last edited by the finisher; 12-22-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    so the question is....plasti dip or liquid tape? waht do you guys think?
    addicted much....

If you are using a more power motor than stock... or even stock... I suggest using two batteries in parallel. Using a single battery may "work" but you really are stressing it.

From what I understand, plasti-dip and liquid tape are basically the same thing.

RC Qualifier
    yeah, just got done doing my sct and the hk 100a. all home depot had was liquid tape. i was suprised how easy it is. so even with the stock motor and a 2200 2s 35-70c. you think that won't be strong enough? the only problem with running parralell is, i'm gonna put the esc in the battery compartment so i can keep the reciever in the waterproof box. that kinda puts salt in my kool aid if i have to run two! lol
    Last edited by the finisher; 12-22-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    addicted much....

The question is amp draw... is 77 amps enough... and can the battery really provide it?
    That is the scarey thing about the unregulated battery ratings...

RC Qualifier
    good point. you got one of those *********s right? 60a? how do you like it?
    addicted much....

I like it... but I am not sure it will handle 3S on a consistent basis as I only use 3S for aggressively geared speed runs.
    If it wasn't freezing outside I would pop out and run set through with more conservative gearing and give you some results.

RC Qualifier
    for 25 bucks i'm thinking of just chancing it. if i fry it, it's not the end of the world. if it get's warm i'll just run 2's till i figure out something. i saw an 80a on that site that's fully programmable. or i could get some of those spc 2500 50c batts. i got some spc 3s that i really like.
    addicted much....

Be sure to get the card!
    I trust SPC's ratings...

RC Qualifier
    I'm assuming your talking about the programming card? Good call!. That would be a bummer to get it and not know how to program it! Those spc's are out of stock till jan. Dang!

Jimmie if I can waterproof my esc, then I should be able to do the reciever too right? If so, than that opens up some options. I can make this little slash fly! I was kinda looking through old threads and didn't see anything about waterproofing a rx. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-23-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: post merge
    addicted much....

You can get a Castle Sidewinder V3. That one is waterproof. Same as the V2, only waterproof.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
    is yours sensored? I have a new MMP sensored esc and the fan looks molded into the case
    it's a tight fit with the fan but does work, love the esc!
    If yours is the mmp under the stickers are little clips that hold the fan on. Easy to take off

RC Qualifier
    Already took ot all apart and put liquid tape on it. It's ready to go. I wanna do the reciever now. That way I can put the esc on the receiver side and vise versa. So I can run parralell batteries. And still ne waterproof. I was also thinking of doing the ends of my batteries with the liquid tape.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    like the sidewinder 3. i might get that one after awhile.
    addicted much....

RC poster
    I'm in almost the same situation my self, the stock velineon esc died just a few days after warranty expired, and now I need a new. Any one know of this is any good? http://www.rcparts.eu/25a-skyrc-toro...s-car-esc.html - I was going to waterproof it my self.

RC Qualifier
    Look at jimmie neutrons mini summit build. He's got an esc on that thing thats a good replacement. I'm gonna get one for myself. And it's only like 25 bucks. They're out of stock on the link you posted. These ones are in stock also. The one your looking at may not be able to handle the amps the motor is gonna want.
    Last edited by the finisher; 12-23-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    addicted much....

RC poster
    Look at jimmie neutrons mini summit build. He's got an esc on that thing thats a good replacement. I'm gonna get one for myself. And it's only like 25 bucks. They're out of stock on the link you posted. These ones are in stock also. The one your looking at may not be able to handle the amps the motor is gonna want.
    Very helpful if I was actually able to find his build. Also, the stock velineon motor draws 25A/50A the one from my link should provide 25A/90A so there shouldn't be problems...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Those are 1/18 scale esc's I would go for something stronger than stock not weaker

I think any experienced with these platforms would agree with my suggestion of at least a 60 amp and above continuous rating for a replacement ESC. Anything less is asking for trouble. That being said, you can still try anything you would like.

Traxxas has a lifetime warranty program for all of their electronics... so I am not sure how it ran out. lol
    http://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-L...onics-Warranty

I have not built a miniSummit... only a MERV and a Boss. Both with the same ESC.

RC Qualifier
    Oh, what car do you have the 60a in?
    addicted much....

Oh, what car do you have the 60a in?
    Answered in the post above yours:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I think any experienced with these platforms would agree with my suggestion of at least a 60 amp and above continuous rating for a replacement ESC. Anything less is asking for trouble. That being said, you can still try anything you would like.

Traxxas has a lifetime warranty program for all of their electronics... so I am not sure how it ran out. lol
    http://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-L...onics-Warranty

I have not built a miniSummit... only a MERV and a Boss. Both with the same ESC.

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    jimmie, does that esc have lvc? i don't see anything on the website. what do you do to protect your batteries?
    addicted much....

It has LVC, but it is quite low at 3v/cell. When I run it to LVC immediately after the run the packs read 2.98/3.09v per cell when I tested them. After 10 minutes the voltages bounced up to 3.11/3.12v per cell.
    If this is too low for your liking, I suggest running a LVA. But, since I am running el-cheapo $8 packs I am not too concerned about the cycles that are being taken off from running them so low. I never leave them that low for more than a few hours, so I am not too concerned with them discharging themselves to dangerous levels.
    Quite honestly, I can actually tell when the packs are "done" at about 3.4v/cell. When they loose punch and speed, I pull up and check voltages... if it is close to 3.4-3.6v/cell I just stop and swap out batteries.

RC Qualifier
    i just ordered mine. 3v per cell is a little low. what is an lva? where do i get it? how does it work with the system? sorry to ask so many questions but i just finished building my mini slash today and ended up stealing the velineon setup out of my merv for it. just dyed a brand new chassis and it looks really nice so i decided not to hack it up to use the larger 100a esc. so i want a nice fitting esc for this thing now.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If the lvc is at 3.0 they are dropping further then that under power.
    I have seen drops below 3.2 with lvc set at 3.4

LVA = Low Voltage Alarm
    They can be bought on eBay pretty cheaply... this is the one I have:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2in1-RC-Lipo...item232290767b
    I suggest buying a few at the same time... I tend to loose or wash mine.
    They connect to the balance connector on the battery.

RC Qualifier
    Is there some sort pf product that cuts the power? I'm pretty good at not hearing stuff. Lol
    addicted much....

There are... and they are not cheap!!
    I have tried a few cheaper ones and they ended up not working well at all... not sure if it was not compatible with the ESC or defective... but it cut out wayyyy early. 4.1v usually.

The LVA is very loud... I jumped when I first plugged one in!

RC Qualifier
    alright, i'll give em a try. this little slash fly's!! i dont even have the correct gearing. only 28 pinion and i think it takes a 31. thanks alot for all the advice!!!! it's very much apreciated.
    addicted much....