Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

what is gearing you guys use for 4s?

i know on Slash 4x4 i used 52 for the spur and 15 for pinion and was fast enough for 2s and never broke anything... so was wondering doing same on erbe, should have a good setting for spur/pinion that on 4s is power/fast enough to chase 6s, and that way dont break anything...
    ERBE
    SLASH 4X4

RC Racer
    18/54 is the best place to start, if you're not happy with the performance you can go from there.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I am running 18/54 and then I put the big trencher tires with the same gearing and didn't run hot so I am pretty sure with stock tires you could gear up a little more

if you are chasing down a 2/3s that would be tough...
    21/54 2/2s will get you to low 50 mph.... have to watch temps a little bit....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    20t/54t is what i have on before i change to mod1 and that gearing, i was well satisfied with how the truck run.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    I am running 18/54 and then I put the big trencher tires with the same gearing and didn't run hot so I am pretty sure with stock tires you could gear up a little more
    I got trenchers under the tree. Good to here temps ok with that gearing as running the same

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's great! What rims will you be running?

RC Qualifier
    Will 18/54 work well with 4s and 3.8" Pro-Line Badlands on Desperados?

RC Racer
    That's great! What rims will you be running?
    Proline desperados. Fitted and taped them before let the misses wrap them

I'm currently running 21/54 on 2/3s with badlands. I have also taped into my ESC and customised my settings to my liking. As GN said you have to keep an eye on temps.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yip-man View Post
    Proline desperados. Fitted and taped them before let the misses wrap them
    nice combo! next to merv summit's

running Mod1 gearing 20t/34t on my SlayVo GT8 and my REVO-E also Mod1 15t/36t.

I'm running MOD1 20/38 on 2/2s in my eSlayer build.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    When running mod 1 pinions, can you run the nitro revo spur gears?
    Reason I ask is that I have half a dozen Robinson racing steel spur gears with upgraded slippers that I run on my nitro Revos.
    I am in the process of building an e-revo, just got the trans today, just waiting on the chassis.

yes you can...start with 17t/40t and work from there.

RC Champion
    Im at 23/54 ATM on 2/2s running 40 series prolines, either road rage or bowties on 17mm Axial beadlocks. Tekin 2250 hasnt even broken a sweat. Cant really tell with the temps dropping but last run of 20 solid minutes of pounding I reached down and could barely distinguish that the motor was warmer than ambient. I do feel a growing pinion and shrinking spur in the not so distant future, that or 6s! Im getting around 45-50mph as is but its just up to speed quick and the motor sounds like its begging for more!
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 12-12-2012 at 09:11 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I run 22/54 on various wheels from standard 3.8" sizes to 40 series Trenchers, on smooth ground it works out pretty well. On more biting surfaces it gets a bit warm, I have a fan on the motor too.

It'll do 45-50 readily.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    yes you can...start with 17t/40t and work from there.
    Thanks. The spurs I have are 40t, so I'll start with 17t/40t like you suggested.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    i ran the 18/54 with the badland and found myself wanting more so i went to 20/54 on 6s

RC Qualifier
    hi guys, just jumping in to the thread....

I am a total noob to E from nitro, even with Nitro I couldn't get to grips with gearing...
    I have Brushless mamba revo, currently running 22 tooth pinion and had 55 spur 0.8 pitch, had to change to a 65 as the LHS only had that one in stock.. Im planning to run stock 2x 8.4V Nimh in series but also have a pair of team orion 3s 4500Mah lipo 11.1V, I tried run these with 22/55 gearing melted the spur and broke 2x driveshafts... it was a complete animal, I would also like to run 2x 3s parellel giving me 9000mah... so I am after advice of a setup that would suit both or advice on how to do it.

can you help with gearing and explain why its not good to go to wide or short.. what sort of ratio do I need to be running.. I only have some stock talon's at the mo but I also have some proline bow tie 40's.. (according to ration chart my current set up is (2.95) which I think means the pinion turns 2.95 time to 1 revolution of the spur? what happens if I reduce teeth on spur to say 55T again will it make it go fast top end or slower?
    Last edited by RevoDeano; 12-14-2012 at 08:37 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ]Smaller on the spur the faster you go and bigger on the pinion the faster you will go
    You probably will be disappointed running parallel half the voltage half the power mine wont even turn on in parallel!

Find a gearing that you like and run it the way you normally run and see how hot it gets. If after a short ride it runs hot go smaller on the pinion. You will need a temp gun and try to run around 150 or so
    Last edited by 50togo; 12-14-2012 at 09:26 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I run a 21/58 on my revo and love it, but motor seems to get hot at times ive never monitered the temp on it. but the esc never gets hot. i run mainly 4s on that and 6s once in a while its so fast cant keep it down on the ground on 6s without fliping

RC Qualifier
    sweet...

is that 150F I take it, not oC.. I have a infa red temp sensor for my reptiles so I can pinch that next time I go out...
    I thought the stock 8.4 in series was not too bad...as I say a total noob....lol
    the 6s was just an animal and I kept bustin parts 3x in 10 mins.. so gonna run 3s to get to grips a little. I may then move back up to 6 later..

so is there an ratio that is recomended or is it trial and error?
    how do I re-map/programme my esc? as I would like to change the curb as it seems to have a surge/power spike at quarter throttle which causes the truck to go mental... I need a smooth throttle response.

RC Racer
    ^

Yep that'll be 150f, if your using stock nimh batteries should not have probs with temps.

Ratio depends on batteries really...

When getting used to the truck on standard batts - used out of box 18/68 gearing... Gave reasonable punch.

I'm running 4s which about right for me running 18/54 good mix of on and off road, temps always seem fine.

6s not tried yet.

Changing throttle response can either be done through tqi( if the the nearer style and an iPhone etc). Otherwise you need to get the case link module. Which plugs into the receiver where you can program everything.

Just play with throttle expenetial to get the response you want, or could change the trigger setting to 70/30 rather than 50/50 to give longer travel on throttle and therefore little more control.

RC Qualifier
    cheers buddy...

I will keep an eye on temps next time out but to be honest as you said, the stock batts dont seem to even begin to push the motor so I dont think it will get to hot even if I spent the entire run time on full throttle..
    I might give the 70/30 setting a go but until I receive the parallel harness (ordered from LHS) I aint gonna know how it runs. plus weather is aweful at th min..

I think the trucks ok on stock, series, 8.4v NIMH (16.8v), will it be quicker on the 3s? or will it be slower with less punch running at 11.1v?

RC Racer
    3s in parallel should give you more punch and power than stock batteries. However i have not tried it. Others might be able to she'd more light on this one.

Tell me about the weather, had batteries charged since Friday, just got to run the truck now.

RC Enthusiast
    All of these numbers are getting me confuse
    I'm also new in the ERBE world and I Love it big time.....the guy at my hobby shop suggested 15t/65t Robinson Racing...is that good? If not, what should I get instead? I'm not looking for speed, I just wanna have a good time bashing. I haven't installed the pinion or the spur gear yet, waiting until the plastic spur gear I have right now melts I'm running 6S btw

Thx guys

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezde View Post
    All of these numbers are getting me confuse
    I'm also new in the ERBE world and I Love it big time.....the guy at my hobby shop suggested 15t/65t Robinson Racing...is that good? If not, what should I get instead? I'm not looking for speed, I just wanna have a good time bashing. I haven't installed the pinion or the spur gear yet, waiting until the plastic spur gear I have right now melts I'm running 6S btw

Thx guys
    If you got a new ERBE change the 68 tooth spur for the 54 that came with it whether Running Lipo's or even himh will be an ideal start point. No need to change pinion. Get used to that then can play around increasing the pinion gears for higher top speed. Watch your motor and esc themes though. Use either temp gun telemetry etc...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    15/65 on 6s would get you around 38 mph. Might as well run 4s on decent gearing like 21/54 around 42+mph and easier on the drivetrain

RC Enthusiast
    If you got a new ERBE change the 68 tooth spur for the 54 that came with it whether Running Lipo's or even himh will be an ideal start point. No need to change pinion. Get used to that then can play around increasing the pinion gears for higher top speed. Watch your motor and esc themes though. Use either temp gun telemetry etc...
    Perfect, I'll try that ��

RC Enthusiast
    15/65 on 6s would get you around 38 mph. Might as well run 4s on decent gearing like 21/54 around 42+mph and easier on the drivetrain
    I wish the guy at the hobby store would have told me that
    I'll change the spur gear to 54 and take it from there....he charged me $50 for the RRP 65T spur gear....I'M MAD NOW

RC Enthusiast
    I'll change the spur gear to 54 and take it from there....he charged me $50 for the RRP 65T spur gear....I'M MAD NOW

Well it's a good thing we have great people in this forum to help us, thx guys

RC Racer
    No worries glad to help. If you not opened or used sure you could take them back.

RC Enthusiast
    No worries glad to help. If you not opened or used sure you could take them back.
    True that, I'll stop by after the holidays, thx

Quote Originally Posted by Rezde View Post

Well it's a good thing we have great people in this forum to help us, thx guys
    What the warning points...... Fill free to tell the LHS he is a fool...........

18/54 is stock & will work well with 4s or 6s.... If you do change gearing get a 20 or 21 pinion, works well with both 4s & 6s.........

DO NOT take advise form LHS.............they are there to sell parts......... gearing that low will be under geared

A temp gun is kind of a must have.....

Hot motor + cool esc = under geared.
    Cool motor + hot esc = over geared
    Everything warm just right..

Motor ~ 180/190*F (82/88*C) maximum, ideally 140/160*F (60/71*C), temps can be 10*F higher inside the motor
    ESC ~ pretty much same temps / Fan comes on @ 150*F (65*C)
    Lipo's ~ 140*F (60*C) max, ideally 100/120*F (38/49*C).........
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Try to stick with plastic spur gears. Fairly cheap and inexpensive weak link!
    with some ballooning of the stock tires up to 46mph
    Last edited by 50togo; 12-23-2012 at 06:25 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    What the warning points...... Fill free to tell the LHS he is a fool...........

18/54 is stock & will work well with 4s or 6s.... If you do change gearing get a 20 or 21 pinion, works well with both 4s & 6s.........

DO NOT take advise form LHS.............they are there to sell parts......... gearing that low will be under geared

A temp gun is kind of a must have.....

Hot motor + cool esc = under geared.
    Cool motor + hot esc = over geared
    Everything warm just right..

Motor ~ 180/190*F (82/88*C) maximum, ideally 140/160*F (60/71*C), temps can be 10*F higher inside the motor
    ESC ~ pretty much same temps / Fan comes on @ 150*F (65*C)
    Lipo's ~ 140*F (60*C) max, ideally 100/120*F (38/49*C).........
    I should have subscribed to this forum before I made the move, thanks for the advice. I'll work with the stock gear and pinion for now....NO MORE LHS for me

RC Racer
    Thanks as usual 87 !!
    Revo 5309 3.3 new But a work in progress !!

RC Enthusiast
    Try to stick with plastic spur gears. Fairly cheap and inexpensive weak link!
    with some ballooning of the stock tires up to 46mph
    I'll work with that, thx, I grabbed a couple of TRAXXAS spur gear(54T) this morning at a local electronic shop, $3 a pop is WAY CHEAPER than $50

As for the tires I ordered the Trencher 3.8" (40 Series) All-Terrain Tires Mounted on Tech 5 Black Wheels...that should be good right?

You guys have any clue as for when I turn left or right the truck always flips...wwhat's up with that???

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are the new rims offset. That will help