RC Competitor

10m range on TQI 2 channel Transmitter

I just bought my 1st hobby grade RC truck 5 days ago, a stampede 4x4 VXL that came with a TQI 2 channel transmitter. I drove my truck at the beach 3 days ago and realised that I had to be within 10-15 m of the car to control my truck. I thought this was normal being a noob so didnt think anything of it. After looking at reviews and such, I realise now that that's not supposed to be the case. I tested it out at home and discovered that the transmitter only works till about 15m range max. And this range can only be gotten by pointing the transmitter directly at the car. Without pointing the transmitter directly at the car, i can only get max range of about 10 metre or less. Anything further then that and the red LED light will start blinking and i will lose control. My transmitter is the TQI 2 channel transmitter and does not have any antenna.I am staying in Singapore thus I dont think I will be able to send them the transmitter to flush. I am wondering whether the problem lies with the transmitter or the receiver. Anyone got any ideas?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by saternal View Post
    I just bought my 1st hobby grade RC truck 5 days ago, a stampede 4x4 VXL that came with a TQI 2 channel transmitter. I drove my truck at the beach 3 days ago and realised that I had to be within 10-15 m of the car to control my truck. I thought this was normal being a noob so didnt think anything of it. After looking at reviews and such, I realise now that that's not supposed to be the case. I tested it out at home and discovered that the transmitter only works till about 15m range max. And this range can only be gotten by pointing the transmitter directly at the car. Without pointing the transmitter directly at the car, i can only get max range of about 10 metre or less. Anything further then that and the red LED light will start blinking and i will lose control. My transmitter is the TQI 2 channel transmitter and does not have any antenna.I am staying in Singapore thus I dont think I will be able to send them the transmitter to flush. I am wondering whether the problem lies with the transmitter or the receiver. Anyone got any ideas?
    and BTW i did install brand new AA Energizer batteries into the transmitter.

RC Racer
    Try opening the reciever box and see if there is any water. Sometimes the waterproof seals are not on exactly straight.
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Champion
    Definately not normal. You need to have the Local hobby shop look at it - they should be able to get you fixed up!

Good luck, Congrats, welcome to TRAXXAS and Merry Christmas!

"Red"

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradens Traxxas View Post
    Try opening the reciever box and see if there is any water. Sometimes the waterproof seals are not on exactly straight.
    Nope no water there. I checked the antenna wires tho and discovered that if i jiggled with the wire a bit I will receive slightly better range. Not by much tho.Do u think there's a problem with the receiver wire? Antenna's fine too btw. Only there seems to be some 'dents' on the antenna wires.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    Definately not normal. You need to have the Local hobby shop look at it - they should be able to get you fixed up!

Good luck, Congrats, welcome to TRAXXAS and Merry Christmas!

"Red"
    Would u believe it that the hobby shop I went to was the only one that sells Traxxas in my whole country. LOL. And the help there isnt much help either. I came to him the other day to ask about some funny sound coming from my truck. All he could say is. He does not own any RC vehicles and he just works there and did not receive any training on the trucks. I surely dont think he can help me.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by saternal View Post
    Nope no water there. I checked the antenna wires tho and discovered that if i jiggled with the wire a bit I will receive slightly better range. Not by much tho.Do u think there's a problem with the receiver wire? Antenna's fine too btw. Only there seems to be some 'dents' on the antenna wires.
    BTW i took out the wires that connects to the plug at the receiver too, then I forgot where they supposed to be attached. I switched on the ESC and VROOOM!! he machine started at full throttle with no way of switching it off. I only managed to switched it off by disconnecting the batteries. LOL. What a shock!! I was lucky it wasn't on the floor or that would've been the end of my truck or my furniture. Needed to reconnect several times to get the right holes. LOL.

RC Racer
    Probably time to call traxxas and see what they say.
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradens Traxxas View Post
    Probably time to call traxxas and see what they say.
    Already sent an Email. Overseas calls are way too expensive. Awaiting their reply. Thanks for the help tho.

RC Champion
    The servo wire goes into channel 1 (there are 2 channel one slots - that receiver allows 2 servos) and the ESC does into channel 2 which is the 3rd slot from the bottom - look closely

Steering 1
    ESC 2

Contact traxxas - you may have to send the transmitter and receiver into traxxas and have them look at it for you if your local hobby shop isnt providing you any assistance. Another option would be to just replace them - depending on the price of shipping to the TRAXXAS factory, that may be cheaper!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    The servo wire goes into channel 1 (there are 2 channel one slots - that receiver allows 2 servos) and the ESC does into channel 2 which is the 3rd slot from the bottom - look closely

Steering 1
    ESC 2

Contact traxxas - you may have to send the transmitter and receiver into traxxas and have them look at it for you if your local hobby shop isnt providing you any assistance. Another option would be to just replace them - depending on the price of shipping to the TRAXXAS factory, that may be cheaper!
    Yups. Learnt about that the hard way. I know what u mean about shipping, maybe be cheaper to replace them. Only prblem is, which do i replace 1st? the receiver or the transmitter? I'm really not sure where the problem is coming from. Would help greatly if I knew so I dont have to buy both.

RC Champion
    if you find anyone around that has a traxxas model - you can bind your car and their remote to check that, then you can try their receiver on your remote to check that...you'll find the issue then.