RC poster

Used Revo question

Hi,
    I know you guys get asked this alot, did a search and couldn't get a good answer.

I've done some research and want to get a Revo. I will use this in the hardpack dirt and some sandy areas in the SoCal deserts. I am looking at 2 used Revos.

#1 - Revo 3.3, stock, can probably get it for ~$225-250. I would be the third owner. Looks clean from the pictures, owner says it runs good and needs nothing.

#2 - Revo 2.5, probably $150. Owner bought it new, says it only had 5 tanks of fuel max through it. Like new condition. Hasn't run in a few years, so I would have to buy it and get it running when I get home.

So obviously I have no idea if either motor was properly broken in, or how much they were beaten. If I bought the 2.5 I would upgrade to a Picco or at least a new 3.3 through the Traxxas motor upgrare program. I am a total gearhead and am not afraid of taking either of them totally apart and going through them.

From what I read, the 3.3 is a bit longer and better suited for hard dirt. I will be running around with 2-3 firneds that have Slashes, one is a 4x4 the other 2 2wd. None are lipo or brushless. I want good handling, explosive power, and durability.

Why I am considering the 2.5 is I can get the motor upgraded to new for ~$60-70 if I read about the motor upgrade program right. Then I have a 2.5 with a new 3.3 engine for less than the 3.3, and I can use the rest of the money on other upgrades. I will go to a sway bar, and close ratio tranny definately on either. I will probably get a Picco and a pipe later after I get used to the truck and want more out of it.

What do you think?

BTW, I was considering a new Slayer before I started looking at the Revo. The Revo is ~$600 locally new, and Slayer ~$425.

RC Racer
    I bought a 2.5 revo off a buddy. I never ran it as a
    2.5 I.completely converted it to a 3.3 ran a quart of fuel through it then started upgrading it to a big block.

I say get the 2.5 if you plan on modding it. Cheaper off the bat and extra cash for upgrades.

RC Competitor
    What radios are being offered with them? Stock Traxxas? I would say get the 3.3 truck since you are going to want more power eventually anyways. It also has a stronger tranny already in it. It also should have the better diffs as well.

If the 2.5 truck has been sitting a couple years it will probably need a new receiver battery to start off with. If he is going to try to get the 2.5 going it might be a headache, degumming a engine that wasnt stored properly means a full tear down and cleaning.

Save a few bucks to start and have to throw parts at it right away or go with the truck that is ready to go, the choice is yours since it is your money but I know which one I would choose...

RC poster
    Ended up getting the 3.3 for $240.

Came with a complete spare set of front and rear arms, front/rear axles, all the tools, extra body mounts, some tranny parts, chargers, spare air filters, 3 channel radio, and extra set of tires and wheels and 5493 pipe. Runs/starts good.

Only thing I have noticed is that on pavement the front tires are doing 90% of the pulling work, I need to change the bias more towards the rear.

Time to go thrash it.

RC Racer
    So it has a center diff. You can put thicker oil or a thick grease in it or get the forward only gear and shaft so both front and rear turn equally all the time.

RC poster
    Think I'm gonna try some grease in there and see how it works.