RC Qualifier

Trying to free a rusted bearing

does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this bearing of the ring gear.

It has rusted itself on to the ring gear. Tried soaking it in wd40 and cleaning fluids and then levering it but its not going to move.
    This happened to the front diff ring gear a while ago an i tried heating it but i snapped the piece the bearing is mounted on.
    If the summit can go through; its not deep enough

Try putting it in a vice grip, then pry it off as hard as you can. The worst that can happen is you could ruin the bearing. And judging by the fact the bearing is rusted on, it's not worth saving anyway. Hope this helps!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Enthusiast
    Try brake fluid for 1:1 Cars

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Try putting it in a vice grip, then pry it off as hard as you can. The worst that can happen is you could ruin the bearing. And judging by the fact the bearing is rusted on, it's not worth saving anyway. Hope this helps!
    That was the trouble i had with the front diff... it busted the bearing (which i didn't care) but the inner casing or ring on the bearing stayed locked onto the shaft. I then proceded to heat it an pull it again and i snapped the piece of the ring gear where the bearing mounts on.

Anyway back to this ring gear. i couldn't get the bearing off and so i decided to just leave it and just clean the bearing and keep going with my diff cleaning/regreasing.
    Ring gears and bearing don't cost much anyway so will just get some new ones soon.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by e-marc View Post
    Try brake fluid for 1:1 Cars
    By brake fluid do you mean brake cleaner or actualy brake grease or something?
    The diff is all back together again but it won't be long before i pull em back apart for another clean so i will get some of this stuff and try it and also get a new ring gear and bearings incase it doesn't work.
    Thanks for the tips.

Can you turn it over and use a punch to get it out? A punch is like a screwdriver with the tip cut off flat and you tap it with a hammer.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Can you turn it over and use a punch to get it out? A punch is like a screwdriver with the tip cut off flat and you tap it with a hammer.
    Are you referring to punching the bearing off from this side of the ring gear (see pic)?

And as far as i can see the only way to get the bearing off (if it is jammed on) is to do it this way (see pic)
    Last edited by danielhawkins; 12-20-2012 at 11:54 PM.

RC poster
    Try brake cleaner.
    Tekin powered E-Revo

If you get it to the inner ring only again
    Dremal a score line in it and twist with a screwdriver maybe that will at least break it loose

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    If you get it to the inner ring only again
    Dremal a score line in it and twist with a screwdriver maybe that will at least break it loose

Sent using lipo power
    That a really good idea.. didn't think of that...
    I'll try that next time i pull em apart...
    I decided to just put it back together as it was because i don't have any spares on hand if i needed them...

RC Competitor
    i had this problem on my mgt. i took a good sharp set of wire cutters and placed the smooth side on the inside of the bearing and squeezed them and it pushed the bearing out enough to get it off.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cris View Post
    i had this problem on my mgt. i took a good sharp set of wire cutters and placed the smooth side on the inside of the bearing and squeezed them and it pushed the bearing out enough to get it off.
    Sorry i haven't quite caught onto what you are saying here.
    See if you can explain it a bit more clearly or take pics if oyu have a spare diff or something...
    Sorry for my dumb ability to understand

RC Competitor
    If you can pry off the outer ring and remove all but the inner ring, put a small screw into the hole with a head slightly smaller than the ring gear stub and use some pliers to press up alternating around the ring. Kroil for a few hours with a little heat will usually break anything free.