RC Qualifier

just ordered my first slash! sct 3800 combo?

the title pretty much says it. I just won a used slash off ebay. looks like a 2wd brushed. i can't wait to get it and tear it all apart and clean everything up! obviously i cant have a brushed setup in it. all my other trucks are brushless and i'm addicted! lol. my question is has anyone on here run the castle sct esc with the 4pole 3800 motor? and how did you like it? i know mmp is the way to go. but i already have the sct laying around. what about gearing? also got a 2s 4000mah 25c lipo. is that sufficient?
    addicted much....

I would run at least 40c 5000mah
    I personally use a venom 2s 5600mah 60c battery
    The sixty c is a bit overkill though
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    a 4000 25c is pushing it a little. thats only a 100 amp battery which the 3800 motor will do easily.

I run 5000 25c packs with my sct system and its fine. a 5000 40c is overkill for a 2wd.

For gearing i do 23/83 in grass 26/83 for high speed bashing, and 19/83 for snow using paddle tires. 23/83 is a good combo for that system though.

and on 2s the mmp is overkill as well. if you think the esc runs a bit too hot throw a fan on top and it runs cold. i run 3s with a sct esc with a fan on it with no problems.

I hope you love yours as much as I do mine.
    And it will run on the vxl on3s with no worries.
    Oh ye,I run a 2s 35c 5400mah thunder power with it on the sct.And as obove I heard it will run 3s with the sct esc,just keep it cool.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 12-20-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Good luck buddy!!!!!
    SLASHING UP WITH MY PEDE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I hope you love yours as much as I do mine.
    And it will run on the vxl on3s with no worries.
    Oh ye,I run a 2s 35c 5400mah thunder power with it on the sct.And as obove I heard it will run 3s with the sct esc,just keep it cool.
    ummm but it is BRUSHED right now not even a vxl
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Qualifier
    Haha! That brushed setup won't even see one run. It's coming out before that thing ever gets driven! I have the sct esc with the built in fan. And also have gens ace 25c 4000 mah 2s layimg around. Bought em for my emaxx. But they're not strong enough. I'll probly stick with 2s for this setup. I'm not even sure if its two or 4 wheel drive. If its two wheel. I guess I could give 3s a try. I also have a 23 tooth laying around that I dont use. Thanks for the info guys! Everyone who has these things seems to love em.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Run a pack through the brushed setup so you know that it works. Then put it for sale

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=josh62685;5364699]Run a pack through the brushed setup so you know that it works. Then put it for sale

That's a good idea. I didn't even think of that. I'll do that or put it in my son's pede. He's getting a used one that needs a motor.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Jeep guy. What kinda speeda do get outta that thing with the 23 tooth? I just like to bash around, but I'm curious how fast it's gonna be.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys well um i have a mini Grave digger sorta a mini merv but i am getting the 3800 mmp 1410 do you think it would be okahy to run 2s 2200 mah in Parellel or would that be bad its all stock now but not till after christmas and is 25c enough or do i nned more cause i make custom battery holder where i can put 10 scale batteries in my 1600 scale car and get hours of run timie soo which would be better please reply THANKS

RC Qualifier
    Those 2 batteries will be fine in parallel

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    I had my sct esc with the 3800 4 pole in my merv before. And you almost have to run your batteries in parralell. From expierience I found if you run one 2s battery, it will ruin the battery. I ran a single traxxas 2s 2200 25c for short time not even 10 min and it puffed up like a football before the esc hit lvc. The system draws too much power. Also that was just on flat pavement.
    Last edited by the finisher; 12-21-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    So i guess i am going to make a 10 scale battery mod to put those in the maybe a gens ace 65c maybe to much but i will be umm having fun aka breaking think :/ and thank you so much for tht i was gunna try it but now Nope :P just hope my drives shafts hold up fine for now cause story is my friends is getting a gens ace 65 5000 lipo and a stampede 4x4 and telmetrary and alllumin shock and vxl and he said he is gunna beat me in a race. So i was like umm no i am not gunna let this nooby beat me and.... this is his first ever hobby grade truck.. i let him drive mine and fix it.. so he has some experience so i am gunna mod the crap outta the truck to go 65mph i think that should beat him soo yeeaa tell me would it beat him or no i really hope it does and i might make it front wheel drive so it wont wheel ever time i tap the throttle so yea i am gunna make a forum right now about thing in the ally check it out!

RC Qualifier
    Shim your diffs. That's a must. Or you'll be replacing them after 1 run lol. Also steel driveshafts, even center. Gonna need aluminum axle carriers too. In my opinion those are the essential upgrades for the big block conversion.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    I've had the 3800 SCT 4 pole 1st version and now the 2nd one after the first one caught fire.. (still unknown).. I can't say enough about the system and how it runs.. Its got more power than you will probably ever use. Mine is run on 5000 50C 2S packs and thats a good match for the system.. Lesser batteries can't supply the amps or will just plain puff.. Gearing is for street use only at 35/86 with the truck topping out in the high 40's on 1/8 buggy street tires... fan on the motor and built in fan for the esc... runs cool all day.. As for mods to the truck, just about everything... RD logics CVD's and the rest of the truck is all RPM and Proline.. Liked the castle system so much I got another on for my other slash.. Castle 5700 4 pole and sidewinder SV2... Honestly, the potential is greater for the 3800, gearing choices are better..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    i was just checking out some you tube video's with the sct 3800 combo. looks like it fly's. man i just ordered this thing yesterday and it can't get here fast enough!!!
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    geared 23/83 i got 35mph out of it. Geared at 26/83 i got 40mph. that was verified by radar. oh, and that was on 2s with 0 degrees of timing.

RC Qualifier
    awesome!! 35mph is plenty fast. i'll be running 2s. i'm more interested in getting the thing dirty than doing speed runs. speed is what my merv is for. i still dont completely understand the idea of timing on an electric motor. what exactly is the effect of changing timing? also what changes when you change the timing? is it the throttle response?
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    the more you increase timing the more rpm and top end power the motor will have but the less torque it will have. this also makes it less efficient. So the more timing you put on, the hotter the motor will run. it also increases amp draw a lot. i run at 0 degrees because i like the lower temps, improved runtime, and all of the torque.

in stock class running 17.5s a motor with no timing will be quite slow, but it will also run very cool, about 100*F after a 6 min main. however, you put the timing to 30 degrees or more and the temps shoot up to 170*F, but the motor will have more top end power.

now the 3800 motors have enough power that adding timing wont have a noticeable difference to be worth it.

RC Qualifier
    ahh.. ok thanks for clearing that up. i'm a fan of tork more than top end anyways. if i was a racer i might feel differently. but tork is where it's at for bashing. also the batteries i'll be running are kinda small for the slash. so it would be beneficial to keep the timing at zero then.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    finally got my slash. I checked to make sure the brushed system works, which it works just fine. so I took it out, slapped the sct in there and ran it. The truck came with a 19t pinion. I like this little truck. A lot of wheel spin though. Since I just bash, I put the 23 tooth pinion in per jeep guys advice. This truck kicks butt! Now me and my son are gonna do some racing! He's got a brushed rustler. Once he gets better I'll put one of these things in his car. The two neighbor kids got slashes for christmas and my six year old got one, our neighnorhood has been taken over by traxas trucks! Lol
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Update: so I've had this slash for a week or so, and I've been beating the crap out of it! Not even being carefull. The other day I was trying to jump it off of a five foot pile of wood chips and kept landing on a sharp curb. There was a few landings where I was sure I broke something and sure enough, it was fine. This truck immediately became my favorite out of all my rc's. I figured I'd beat it up, then start upgrading the stuff that breaks, but I can't seem to break anything! I sure haven't had any trouble breaking my other rc's.
    addicted much....

RC Competitor
    is it 2wd or 4x4

I had a few amp issues with mine,then i quit buying cheap lipos,my 3800 4 pole will run between 30 and40 minutes on a 35c 2s thunder power.
    My friend said ,your wasting your money on those battery's,try my spc 45c,its only 50 bucks.
    Sounded great,that was the end of that battery,about 15 minutes in I noticed a serious power loss,pulled it in,the battery was swelled up,and smoking slightly,not on fire just a little smoke.
    Since that day i run thunder power,But found after lots of looking,a brand called reedy,$120 for a 2s 65c.Of course i heard all the there the same battery in a different pack,then i found some one with real.world experience.
    He bought a used reedy in 2009 and still uses it all the time,he says it has out lasted all his other battery's,and is still working fine,If you want to run a 4 pole,buy the right battery for it.
    SPC is a fine lipo for most uses,but if you want to run a hi amp motor,bite the bullet,and go thunder power,or if you win the lottery, the reedy,i have one on hold till i get the rest of the money.
    The moral of the story you get what you pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    I had my sct esc with the 3800 4 pole in my merv before. And you almost have to run your batteries in parralell. From expierience I found if you run one 2s battery, it will ruin the battery. I ran a single traxxas 2s 2200 25c for short time not even 10 min and it puffed up like a football before the esc hit lvc. The system draws too much power. Also that was just on flat pavement.

RC Qualifier
    It's 2wd. I'm waiting on some new tires. Hopefully that'll help with the grip.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I had a few amp issues with mine,then i quit buying cheap lipos,my 3800 4 pole will run between 30 and40 minutes on a 35c 2s thunder power.
    My friend said ,your wasting your money on those battery's,try my spc 45c,its only 50 bucks.
    Sounded great,that was the end of that battery,about 15 minutes in I noticed a serious power loss,pulled it in,the battery was swelled up,and smoking slightly,not on fire just a little smoke.
    Since that day i run thunder power,But found after lots of looking,a brand called reedy,$120 for a 2s 65c.Of course i heard all the there the same battery in a different pack,then i found some one with real.world experience.
    He bought a used reedy in 2009 and still uses it all the time,he says it has out lasted all his other battery's,and is still working fine,If you want to run a 4 pole,buy the right battery for it.
    SPC is a fine lipo for most uses,but if you want to run a hi amp motor,bite the bullet,and go thunder power,or if you win the lottery, the reedy,i have one on hold till i get the rest of the money.
    The moral of the story you get what you pay for.
    Sounds like a good battery, but WOW expensive. I just took the sct out of the merv and put it in my slash. The merv is plent powerful stock. Although I did just put a 100a esc in it. Pretty cool does backflips now.
    addicted much....

Mine sure wont do back flips,but so many people say my slash wont wheelie,First,they weren't really made to wheelie,but like i said before,any one of my three will wheelie on command.And i don't want them to.
    IMO Thunder power is the best lipo i have found for under $100,this reedy bat,i want to do more research on,If they are still what they were in 2009,I'll pay $120 for a 65c 2s,Darn his is four years old and working great,id pay for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Sounds like a good battery, but WOW expensive. I just took the sct out of the merv and put it in my slash. The merv is plent powerful stock. Although I did just put a 100a esc in it. Pretty cool does backflips now.