RC Champion

Is the XO1 priced to fail?

So I ordered an XO1 a few days ago and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. In the meantime, I've been reading/researching as much as I can about the car. I expected to see a lot of talk about an RC car that has these kinds of performance characteristics but I've come away finding very little "buzz" about the XO1. Makes me wonder if Traxxas priced this a bit too high making it out of reach for the majority of folks out there. Even this forum is pretty dead with not a whole lot of new posts or replies to existing posts. Makes me wonder how good/bad the aftermarket support will be for this car, and even if it will be in production for very long... Don't get me wrong, I love what I know about the car so far and am very much looking forward to it, I'm just disappointed at the apparent lack of interest it has generated so far.

RC Qualifier
    I love mine. I think it doesent get the amount of buzz because either people dont have that kind of money or they dont want to spend that much. If it were a 500 dollar car it would get lots and lots of buzz
    Rc...my wallet hates it...but my brain loves it

RC Competitor
    In my opinion, it is high, But it is a "first" for out of box rc that does a hundred. It does come with a Expensive brushless system,as well as 2 lipos, I think it is Priced within reason tho. My main gripes about it is, To me traxxas never had a huge hold in onroad, So alot of people that are the main consumer kinda blew it off. I also think that most traxxas people are bashers and I would dread crashing a 1000 dollar car into a wall, Which i know would happen VERY VERY fast if i attempted to drive one. But it does come with Some expensive parts. And i'm sure if its looks you want everyone will stare when you pull that out

RC Champion
    Its not the price tag, its the price tag VS usability. Unless you live with Rockingham motor speedway in your back yard there is little to do but look at it. I can buy a slash 4x4, put street tires on it and a nice power plant with one of THESE bodies on it for half that and probably kick the crap out of the XO-1 on anything but a long flat stretch.

The XO1 is pretty much off my radar screen, mainly because of the price. I bought the new Rally instead.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

When i first saw the XO-1 released i was in Awe, but that rapidly turned to Awe Shoot. Priced unbelievably high.
    I could completely destroy my ERBE-gt 3 times and still not have spent as much as a NIB XO-1.
    50-60 mph is just fine for me anyways
    100mph would just be asking for trouble.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Champion
    I dont think it is priced to fail, is Porsche, Lamborghini, or Maserati priced to fail? They all have a certain class they fit in. There is a market for the XO-1, I personally dont want to spend 900$ on one car - I want to spend 900$ on several cars!!!!!!

I have to admit, I have seen one in person and its hard to find a place or venue to run it. I'll take the power plant and put it in my bashers though!!! WOOHHOOO!!!!

RC Racer
    It's more like a Lamborghini with a Kia parts and a Lambo engine. Most of this car came from other Traxxas models and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But a car at this level should have precision parts made specifically for it. I like my XO-1, hated it when I first got it. LOVE the E-REVO!!!

RC Champion
    I'm with you on the [brushless] E-Revo. I can't believe how versitile that truck is, not to mention exceptionally durable with a couple simple upgrades. I've got RPM A-Arms up front and tru-tracks in the rear, and an aluminum rear skid plate. WIth those simple upgrades, my broken parts list is extrememly short and additions to that list are few and far between. If I can get half the enjoyment out of my XO-1 as I do from my E-Revo I'll be happy. BTW, since you own both, which would you say is the easier to control, assuming both vehciles are geared for the same speed? This is of course, assuming the e-revo is in street trim (lowered, street tires)

RC Racer
    If both in stock form hands down E-REVO. I've never owned a car/truck with as much play in the suspension as the XO-1. I was a bit disappointed when I first bought the car but honestly though, there's nothing a little DIY can't fix. I pretty much have the same setup as you do on the REVO and I'm able to drive mine in the street with full traffic. The XO-1 on the other hand, even if I turn down the steering expo, I wouldn't dare to do the same. And it' not cause of the price tag either. The XO-1 is too unpredictable in stock form, especially with the gyro effect coming the motor under acceleration.
    Last edited by FartOfDoom; 12-21-2012 at 12:06 AM.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the insight. as for the suspension slop, I've read your mod post and intend to do some of the simpler mods to reduce slop.

RC Racer
    Np. If you have any question or help regarding the mods feel free to pm me anytime.

RC Champion
    the price seems high but i think it is more to do with finding a place to run it safely.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Racer
    I have an E-Revo Brushless edition and Xo-1. On the street the Xo-1 is ten times better handling than e-revo. I would need to buy a few upgrades to get the e-revo 50% of handling of an Xo-1, yet I never seen an Erbe hit 100mph

RC Qualifier
    The main problem with the XO-1 is that it's mis-marketed. It's 1100.00 when it doesn't need to be. It's name is short for "Experts Only", but it comes with batteries, controller, charger, etc. What kind of expert doesn't have this stuff? If they at least offered a slimmed down version that deleted this stuff they could get the price below the dreaded 4 digit mark. But that's not even an option. Any rc enthusiast that is interested in this car soon realizes that to buy it he must also buy stuff that he will never use.

Either way I hope they keep supporting and improving this car. 1:1 car manufacturers figured out a long time ago that you sell a lot of minivans because you make Vipers. It's just human nature.
    The Annihilator....fastest XO-1 on planet Earth.

Couldn't agree more, a factory assembled Roller would have been a nice option.
    Even if all we did was drop a Caste Mamba w/2200 in it it would still be a quick darn car.
    I think Jang's "budget XO-1" re-build was based along those lines (might have been a different esc/motor) and it would still do 60-65mph on 6s on the straights on the track at norcal hobbies.

I have 2 cars that can get up there if i choose to gear/drive them that fast and i would just as soon stick with 50-55mph and keep them in one piece lol
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by FartOfDoom View Post
    If both in stock form hands down E-REVO. I've never owned a car/truck with as much play in the suspension as the XO-1. I was a bit disappointed when I first bought the car but honestly though, there's nothing a little DIY can't fix. I pretty much have the same setup as you do on the REVO and I'm able to drive mine in the street with full traffic. The XO-1 on the other hand, even if I turn down the steering expo, I wouldn't dare to do the same. And it' not cause of the price tag either. The XO-1 is too unpredictable in stock form, especially with the gyro effect coming the motor under acceleration.
    Quote Originally Posted by reyesjhs765 View Post
    I have an E-Revo Brushless edition and Xo-1. On the street the Xo-1 is ten times better handling than e-revo. I would need to buy a few upgrades to get the e-revo 50% of handling of an Xo-1, yet I never seen an Erbe hit 100mph
    My erevo is currently setup for on-road, lowest setting, hpi phaltline, sway bars, stiffer springs and I just received my XO-1. The XO-1 does indeed handle better, BUT the erevo is easier and more predictable. A good way to explain this is when I drive the erevo, I can drive it to the cars maximum ability were as the XO-1, the car is more capable than what I can confidantly get out of it. Now that isn't a bad thing, just means the car is very capable and I just need to practice to step my game up!

RC Racer
    If you can't handle the power. or your street isn't so great turn the torque limiting down with castle link. I like being able to floor the gas pedal and it doesn't spin out and crash hard !!

RC Qualifier
    It is unfortunate how little attention the XO-1 has received of late. Perhaps a factory roller without radio and servo gear would have been an ideal option for $200 less. It sounds like a great car for slow speed fun running and high speed passes, but the specialty seems to have worn off, to an extent.

RC Qualifier
    if they sold a bare factory roller for $500 people would still complain cuz their cheap like that but they go out and pay 500 for a factory team kit . Some guy on another forum just picked up a roller with body n tires for $265 , I bet people would jumped like monkeys if somone offered that on this forum
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Racer
    WOW 265?!?! I'll pick up 3 in a heart beat just for spares

RC Champion
    Yeah, if I can find a roller for $265 I'll be on that in a heartbeat. I actually looked for rollers but came up empty. Ended up getting a NIB from ebay for $740

RC Racer
    thats still a pretty good deal too.

RC Qualifier
    thats a great deal for a rtr , imagine how many they would of sold at the price , traxxas wouldnt be able to produce them fast enough

RC Racer
    I would of had it cheaper but 2IS outbid me with 3 seconds to go. Oh well. I guess I didn't need a third one. just couldn't believe it was going that cheap. Nice buy man !!

RC Champion
    Thank You

RC Racer
    LOL !!! As the time ticked down I was kinda relieved I got outbid. Like I said I really didn't need a 3rd one. Kinda wondering why I even have 2 of them !!! Congrats on the buy. Probably won't see another one go that cheap.

RC Champion
    I wasn't expecting it to go for that low either and when I placed my max bid, I expected the previous max bid was already higher. I set a reminder on my phone for 5 minutes prior to the auction ending, I was at the gas station when the reminder came and placed the bid from my phone at the pump lol.

RC Qualifier
    I sold my 2nd XO-1 (roller+) a few weeks ago and this week I bought another NIB one because the prices they are selling for now are ridiculous! I really wanted a Rally 1/10 but the more I thought about it, I just like the way the XO-1 handles when limited to 50 mph and you can do that all day long. If my brother doesn't buy this one off me I will officially keep this as my fun car and probably never ever use the high speed gear unless I sell my 8s XO-1.
    XO-1 #4...

RC Qualifier
    i seen one 750 brand new in the box shipped , then i noticed its in my state and would have to pay sales tax lol

RC Champion
    So has anyone noticed a significant price drop on these things at eBay? I was toying with the idea of getting a 2nd one for mods while keeping one stock as a baseline, checked out ebay and many of the NIB ones are going for right around $800 buy it now price, some even less than that. Nice to see the price coming down to where I personally think it should have been to begin with.

RC Qualifier
    I def have noticed the price drop. The XO-1 is my first RC and I paid $1000 for mine when it first came out so I was wondering if this is normal for RC cars to drop that much in price in a year. Do all of the new models do this or is Traxxas coming out with a newer XO-1 version thus causing the price to drop?
    XO-1 #4...

RC Champion
    It's not normal for prices to drop this much this quick. I think it's a direct result from simply not being able to sell them for the original asking price.

RC Qualifier
    $725 shipped black color . shoot I paid 1050 a yr ago lol
    the black is like a very dark gunmetal color , my favorite color lol
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-XO-1...item43b88ec357