Thread: New Blades

New Blades

Well my stock blades have taken a beating and I needed new ones. I called Traxxas and they said it would be another couple of weeks due tot he stike at the shipping ports here in the L.A. area. So I decided to try a set of blades off of the HeliMax 1SQ Quad copter. The blades are 3mm longer than the stock QR-1 blades and have the tips more squared off. The QR-1 has more lift with these blades and flies realty nice with them. The only draw back I can see is the flight time seems a little bit shorter.

So am I the first one to "mod" my QR-1? LOL
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

See: it IS a hobby-grade vehicle!

How close are they to touching when aligned longitudinally?
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

There is a 10mm gap between the tips of the blades at their closest point... oh wait ksb is asking the gap is actually 10.2mm LOL
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    I put the same ones on mine a couple of weeks ago. I ordered them online with extra batteries for, I believe, the Ladybird quad. Blades and batteries both work well.

RC Champion
    You can find the blades if you look around. Same with the motors and every single part for it besides the Canopy. Mine is sent away to get fixed. Can't wait to get it back, for the meantime to keep me in the air ordered up a Syma X1.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

RC Champion
    Id say that SBOTI74 foam pads under each motor would be the first mod..... Actually he says he read about that mod in an other QR-1 thread so i guess who ever made that post is the first. X/
    Last edited by Foxprogt; 12-21-2012 at 05:01 AM.
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

Well my initial excitement over these blades is gone. They do seem a little more durable adn do seem to give more lift but they really shorten flight time. I was getting an easy 7 min on a pack with stock blades, I think I am barely getting 5 min with these blades. I will be going back to stock as soon has I can get my hands on them.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Well I got bored today and did some actual timing of flights with the 1-SQ blades and my beat up stock blades. I guess the stop watch does not lie and the flight times were very close to the same so it must have been in my head. Not sure why but I just feel better with the stock sized blades on the QR-1. I ordered some blades off ebay that are for the Husban X4 which look identical tot eh QR-1 blades. For now I am flying with the beat up stock Traxxas blades.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I ordered some blades off ebay that are for the Husban X4 which look identical tot eh QR-1 blades. For now I am flying with the beat up stock Traxxas blades.
    It's because they are the same, atleast it looks like it to me. Side by side, they are indentical, minus the canopy and sticker on the bottom. Other than that exactly identical. I feel strongly about this topic and have TONS to say, but, I know better and leave it at that. All I have to say is I feel ripped off, plain and simple man. Sure I get Traxxas support which is awesome and by far some of the best I have ever had. Just to ship my QR-1 to get it fixed, cost me half as much as another copter of the same quality, sure I don't get support but honestly who cares, when I can get 3 for the price of one and parts are dirt cheap. Either way I gotta stop before I get in trouble, might of already went to far already but misleading people and tagging your brand name on something is pretty shady IMO.

The quality for Traxxas, and what I am used to from them. Is pathetic really. Look around, so many issues, of course there is always people with none.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

Stephan81 sorry you feel that way. I think the two are very similar however I have no reason to doubt what Traxxas says when they say they have made things to improve the experience compared tot he look alike brands. In the case of the rotor blades I doubt there is a difference but in things like the firmware or what you get in the package I believe there is a difference. Traxxas has never denied the similarities or mislead the customers to the best of my knowledge. Even The Jang made a direct comparison and noted the differences in how the two flew and what you got in the box. He favored the less expensive brand but that is a personal choice,,,one you could have made just the same as The jang and all the rest of us.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Stephan81 sorry you feel that way. I think the two are very similar however I have no reason to doubt what Traxxas says when they say they have made things to improve the experience compared tot he look alike brands. In the case of the rotor blades I doubt there is a difference but in things like the firmware or what you get in the package I believe there is a difference. Traxxas has never denied the similarities or mislead the customers to the best of my knowledge. Even The Jang made a direct comparison and noted the differences in how the two flew and what you got in the box. He favored the less expensive brand but that is a personal choice,,,one you could have made just the same as The jang and all the rest of us.
    Actually Traxxas has said they only look similar, but they are completely different and are not a rebrand, they are manufactured by Traxxas. After our discussion via pm, where I implied the same thing as Stephan81, you stated you found it distasteful and just plain wrong. I then sent an email to Traxxas, inquiring if this was physically the same as others, but maybe with different firmware optimized by Traxxas and was told no, this is a completely Traxxas designed and manufactured product.

Actually, here is the original thread I posted in and was basically told I have no clue, I am spreading false information.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ement-has-gone...

Just saying, I have no issue with Traxxas and developing new firmware, but really...the only thing Traxxas said is they LOOK similar, but are in fact completely different. Even Jang's review, as pointed out, said the numbers on the board are the same, except for a sticker.

I will agree about Traxxas support being among the best. I wish that attitude was present in all aspects related to Traxxas.
    Last edited by badaml; 12-23-2012 at 05:13 AM.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

badaml I still stand by my statement as I assume Traxxas does to. The similarities between the Traxxas and other brand Quads can not be denied however there are differences beyond the Traxxas name on the product. This has the potential to become just like the battery wars with inexpensive bargain brands vs expensive quality brands. This was not what this thread was about, it was intended to be helpful information for people needing new rotor blades. I have heard both from the LHS and Traxas tech support the Traxxas blades and other spare parts were effected by the Port strike here in So Cal that effected many other goods as well.

THREAD CLOSED
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power