Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldering Iron

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Only 50 watt I have is butane. Sill heats up as hot as a 50 watt electric but I used it for smaller gauge wires

RC Champion
    Whats wrong with butane? Convo is about soldering and I didnt see the OP post electric only. I keep a butane iron in my work bag for quick fixes here and there as believe it or not when you walk into huge power room for enterprise data centers that have 5 megawatts of UPS power there is no 120 outlet in sight!

The only thing I dont like about butane is lack of temp control. It always seems to be either too hot or not hot enough.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I once installed an alarm in my car using only my butane soldering gun because there was no power available.
    My bigger guns heat up in seconds and gets the job done quickly

Quote Originally Posted by clay420 View Post
    I dont know where else to ask this, so Im asking here. I bought a 80W Soldering Iron, is it going to get hot enough to be effective? Im a noob at soldering to I hope it is.

Thanks,
    Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Whats wrong with butane? Convo is about soldering and I didnt see the OP post electric only. I keep a butane iron in my work bag for quick fixes here and there as believe it or not when you walk into huge power room for enterprise data centers that have 5 megawatts of UPS power there is no 120 outlet in sight!

The only thing I dont like about butane is lack of temp control. It always seems to be either too hot or not hot enough.
    Are you suggesting that the butane is a viable option, rather than a 80W iron, for the OP? I quoted him above for your convenience.
    Q: Whats wrong with butane?
    A: ...lack of temp control... and I'll add directional control too. It is useful when other options are unavailable, but I'd hate for someone to do all their soldering with one.

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo
    I have better things to do . When I have a solder job my butane 50 watt stays in the drawer
    Posted previously that 80W was somewhat underpowered/deficient. So why is a 50W butane soldering iron not off-topic and/or irrelevant?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Are you suggesting that the butane is a viable option, rather than a 80W iron, for the OP? I quoted him above for your convenience.
    Q: Whats wrong with butane?
    A: ...lack of temp control... and I'll add directional control too. It is useful when other options are unavailable, but I'd hate for someone to do all their soldering with one.

Posted previously that 80W was somewhat underpowered/deficient. So why is a 50W butane soldering iron not off-topic and/or irrelevant?
    I was just commenting on the post of how butane got into the thread. Its certainly not my first choice by any means! Like I said, I keep one in my tool bag for the times when I need it for a quick fix and there isnt a power source nearby so I dont have to drag 200 ft of extension cords 10 blocks in NYC. The 80lb back pack tool bag I have is bad enough already.

Did the OP ever decide on a solder iron?
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    What does OP mean? Other person? I think he bought a 80W Soldering Iron.
    Tekin powered E-Revo

Quote Originally Posted by erevobasher View Post
    What does OP mean? Other person? I think he bought a 80W Soldering Iron.
    Original Poster
    and sometimes
    Original Post
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-22-2012 at 07:43 PM.

RC Qualifier

RC poster
    Dumb question.......could I use plumbing FLUX when soldering wire? I know I have to use electrical solder. But being a plumber, I have plumbing flux lyaying just no electrical flux.
    Tekin powered E-Revo

RC Champion
    No Flux needed. Especially plumbers flux as most of it is acid based. Ive been soldering electrical and electronic connections for 30 years and not once was flux ever used.

All you needed is a decent Iron with a decent tip, lead free silver solder, a steady hand and a little practice.

Remember less is more when it comes to solder. Dont go by the "The bigger the blob, the better the job" method!

RC Qualifier
    I soldered bullet plugs Saturday for the first time. Was shocked at how easy they were

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    No Flux needed. Especially plumbers flux as most of it is acid based. Ive been soldering electrical and electronic connections for 30 years and not once was flux ever used.

All you needed is a decent Iron with a decent tip, lead free silver solder, a steady hand and a little practice.

Remember less is more when it comes to solder. Dont go by the "The bigger the blob, the better the job" method!
    Perhaps if you have been soldering for that long you do not remember how difficult it is for some to start getting the hang of this activity. While it is just another opinion I'll comment that your recommendation to not use any flux and to use lead-free silver solder you are setting up a lot of beginners to fail. Capt. Obvious says that not many people have an over-abundance of patience to learn something they will need to do so few times in their life. Even less have a willing and able teacher, as you seem you could very well be. Add to this the increased difficulty of no flux and less noob-friendly lead-free solder and...well the stage is set for much frustration and anguish. I'm sure you will agree that a good solder joint is much more important that which solder is used. I realize some Eco-Nuts will decry the use of lead-bearing solder in any amount but individuals here use so little that it does not matter in the long run, or the short run either.
    Baby steps need to be taken. Just my 2¢.

I use flux core solder, and it works fine for me, biggest improvement in my soldering came when a friend mentioned having a wet sponge at hand to clean the tip frequently with. Soldering is so much easier now, I will have to try the recommendations on this thread now that I have more patience and practice.
    Don’t handicap children by making life easy

Sam3251010
    If you're still looking for a better soldering gun, check out this soldering station dealer. I got a hakko from them a few years back and it hasn't had any problems. They carry wellers and all parts too. I've used it a couple dozen times for various projects. It's definitely something worth spending a little extra on if it means you won't ever have to replace it.

Cheapo Irons from Radio Shack or whatever, or never really great. They dont hold their heat, and they are more unpredictable. I was also right about to pick up one from Radio shack or something, but then ended up buying a Solder Station. I purchased a Trakpower TK-950, which is the same as the Hakko 936. The Trakpower is also used by Jang from URC, and Medic from RCSparks.

or Hakko 936..

Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 01-20-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Champion
    I use the same one, Trak power that is. I have a Weller 50w that work's good but just to long to heat up and lose's heat quickly due to heat soak.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

Those solder stations look seksi. I still love mine.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...