Thread: steering servos

RC Racer

steering servos

well i have searched and not really found what im looking for and im sure this thread has been beat to death, but one more might not hurt lol...my steering servos went out, ate the teeth right off of them...anyway, looking to do the single servo mod...anyone have any suggestions, and maybe where they got there parts with some part numbers...any and all help will be greatly appreciated to help me from buying the wrong parts just to have to send them back lol...thanks pics would be great also...thanks again

Check this thread lots of info
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8932822

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    This Savox 1230-SG servo looks like more than enough, I think it has almost twice as much torque as the stock servos put together
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Competitor
    that Savox 1230-SG has 500oz of power at 6.0v. impressive!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I think it is anything over 300-350 in-oz is not needed as that is all the servo saver can take.
    No parts required to do the "mod"... just install and hook up one servo that at least matches the torque of the two stock servos.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Any waterproof servos that match/surpass the dual stockers?
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Competitor
    jimmie, if my math is right or google i should say, that blue bird servo is over 500 oz of torque. google says its like 1000oz. is that right?

Nope... weight and torque ratings may have the same terminology, but they do not calculate the same way.
    Here is a site to convert it:
    http://www.servocity.com/html/conversion_tables.html

RC Competitor
    ok cool thanks.

Sorry J but I'm going to chime in and say that I've never seen a bargain brand match the quality of a premium Hitec, JR, or other name brand. There is almost always something lacking, whether it is centering or efficiency or something else.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I will throw my 2 cents in....
    I have used a unnameable hi torque titanium geared high voltage servo it worked ok.I installed a hitec 7955 mg
    I understand now,why they cost what they do.Quality.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I've used the bargain brand $15 "hi-torque" servos and they are garbage. Very noisy and jittery,...that's if you get one that works out of the box. I went the Hitech route and happy with results. It's the 333oz model, which is what many of us use.

RC Racer
    thanks for all the reply's guys...lots of good info and good reading. so these are the two servos im thinking about going with, and also thinking about doing the aluminum steering upgrade...servos are either hitec HS-7950TH, or the Savox 1230-SG. anybody have some real world feedback with either of these, i will also be upgrading to the big joes tires, so either of these servos should have no problems doing what i need.

RC Competitor
    I bought a Savox 1256tg servo and even though it's not waterproof, I've had it completely submerged in water and it still works fine. I went to a single servo cause both my stock ones went bad and I wanted metal gears. My concern is that as soon as I plugged it in it started making the same buzzing noise the stock ones do when they are fighting each other but since I only have that can't be it. I've heard some Savox servos have brown out issues, but don't know if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by kspec4 View Post
    thanks for all the reply's guys...lots of good info and good reading. so these are the two servos im thinking about going with, and also thinking about doing the aluminum steering upgrade...servos are either hitec HS-7950TH, or the Savox 1230-SG. anybody have some real world feedback with either of these, i will also be upgrading to the big joes tires, so either of these servos should have no problems doing what i need.
    I use both Hitec 7950TH in my eRevo and the Savox 1230SG in my Summit...you can look through my build threads to see what I have done...eRevo build & Summit build. No issues to report, both servos are working great.

EDIT: both servos are very talkative...noisy. If you pick the truck up the buzzing noise goes away. It doesn't bug me anymore as both servos are responsive and operate well .
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 12-18-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    My futabas are pretty talkative too.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that digital servos tend to make more noise/chatter than their analog counterparts.

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Racer
    well i went with the savox, im going to just keep the stock steering right now as golden horizons is out of stock on the aluminum parts right now...one question to craig.mitch316...did you savox ever quit getting hot, or does it still run pretty warm....thanks

I don't know if their is a break in period for servos, but my servo has never gotten hot like it did the first time I took it out for its trial run.

Servo gets warm after a full battery run...maybe around 30C. I am not concerned about it as I find this acceptable for the way I am using my truck.

I also have the Savox SA 1231-SG in my eSlayer...always stays cool and is very responsive. I am very happy with the Savox servos that I bought another SA 1231-SG for a street build I will begin soon.
    Rock n Rolla !

Craig are you running an external BEC with your Savox 1231? Last time i ran a savox servo (1256tg) it glitched and bugged to no end.

Im still in need of a servo for my ERBE and eventual single swap out on my Summit. Just looking for options at this point.
    Last edited by Cameron; 12-19-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Competitor
    I'm running with the Hitec HS-7950TH for the past few months, at first with the stock Canyons. First day out it was quite talkative too and was not to happy about it but after that barely a whispper. Now I've been trying out the Rok Lox 4.0 with beadlocks, all I can say is that I'm very happy with the servo's performance. This morning I posted a few vids in the Video's Page, if your curious to see how it throws them around check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Craig are you running an external BEC with your Savox 1231? Last time i ran a savox servo (1256tg) it glitched and bugged to no end.

Im still in need of a servo for my ERBE and eventual single swap out on my Summit. Just looking for options at this point.
    Hey mate...no external BEC with the Savox servo in my eSlayer build or the Summit. I am running them of the ESC supplied voltage to the Rx. The only time the Savox servo in my Summit glitched was the first time I took it out for a test run and got so hot. Their has never been an issue with any of the Savox servos I am running.

Summit = EVX2 (6V)
    eSlayer = Hobbywing SC8 120A (6V)

I am running the Hitec HS-7950TH in my eRevo...I had an external BEC but some how managed to bugger it bashing, not so much fun when you out bashing your truck at full throttle and the truck decides to go right without warning. I have since removed the external BEC and bumped up my MMM from the supplied 5.5V to 6V to the Rx. It is working just as well as it did with an external BEC.

They are all good servos IMO...but for the price of the Savox SA 1230-SG its a steal.
    Rock n Rolla !

good to know, maybe the 1256tg is just that much more of an amp hog.

Might have to pick up a couple in January.

Caps help with amps.
    I soldered one up direct to my Summit's Rx.... helped with dimming lights when turning.

i ran a simple spektrum cap with it and it didnt do anything. swapped to a hitec and it stopped.

Figured the 1256 was just power hungry. Bought an external BEC but never installed it.

RC Competitor
    I have a Novak glitch buster cap, but haven;t put it in because I can't figure out how to fit it in the receiver box with all the wires. I'm thinking of buying a balloon and leaving the top of the box off. Does anyone know of a different waterproof box that I can use for my receiver? I'm also considering the plastic box the savox came in. If I put some sealant of some kind around the edge I think that would work pretty well, but have to see if there is room for it. Maybe on it's side or something.

Can the cap be routed outside of the box? It can be sealed up with some liquid electrical.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Can the cap be routed outside of the box? It can be sealed up with some liquid electrical.
    I have some plasti dip and the wire seems long enough to run outside the box. I have to check some things in my Summit anyways so I will find out tomorrow.

RC Champion
    Try Radio shack or " the source" as its called in Canada.. They have boxes called "project boxes". Come in all sorts of sizes.. The ones I use on my Axial Honcho are 1" deep and about 2" wide by 3" long.. They cost about $5 each and come with 2 lids. Plastic and metal. The lid is head on with 4 screw and has a tight sealing lip. I still use silicone to seal it up. I drill a hole and put the wire through it and silicone that too.. Has not failed me yet.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.