RC poster

Broken connecting rod less then a gallon ran through moter

I bought the jato3.3 on 11/23/2012 , I followed the break in procedure to a T , I have not even got a gallon of gas through it and it imploded on the inside , I spoke with my local hobby store where I bought it and they gave me great tips on keeping the engine running slightly rich and to make sure not to run lean. Great smoke coming out of exhaust which they told me is a good indication that the engine was running slightly rich and that's where i needed to run it. I called Traxxas this morning and they told me to send it in and they would consider replacing my engine. Has anyone ran into any issues with these engines? Im kind of not happy at all with the quality of this product , maybe I just got a bad engine. Guess I will wait and see what traxxas says.

It does happen though it is not brought up that much here any more. Given the ratio of 3.3 engines out there and the number of occurrences this is very minute.
    I would like to see a picture of the top of the piston if possible.
    Last edited by Double G; 12-18-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Forgive my ignorance , how do you upload a pic, I sent off to traxxas today . I have a pic of the connecting rod and bottom portion of piston .

RC poster
    I believe I have figured it out
    Last edited by macwrc; 12-17-2012 at 02:22 PM.

RC poster
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC poster
    What would be things to look for to define what happened , the sleeve looked great , bottom of piston shattered , top of connecting rod split , it also looked like something was fused in top of piston like the glow plug spring dropped in and fused to top not very noticeable , the crankshaft and bearings turn fine .

RC Racer
    Can you post the top of the piston?
    Edit: never mind, just read you sent off the parts.

I'm looking at the picture on my phone. The skirt and sleeve looks like it's been running lean. Connector rod over heated and lost its hardening, and failed...
    Last edited by BAD RC; 12-17-2012 at 02:28 PM.

You dont have one of the top of the piston do you?

Bad things can happen when an engine is too cool too. It is a good idea to have a temp gun to make sure your tune is within a good heat range. Check it by pointing down at the glow plug and the temp should be 210-250 degrees Fahrenheit. That is a good safe range to be in.

Not saying that it was the cause, but there is a ton of stress on these engines especially when they are new.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC poster
    So do you guys think im screwed? I always made sure smoke was coming out the exhaust when it ran. I am new to all of this and when it died I was just driving normal across a parking lot , on my second tank of gas. My wife is like you just dropped 400$ on this and have barley run it and now you have no engine UGH. Have no idea if Traxxas will replace , if not what do you gentlemen suggest ? Rebuild this one or get new one?

I am sure Traxxas will take care of you. They have very good customer service. I am sure you have already, but re-read the manual and watch the dvd. Running and tuning r/c engines takes some time to get used to. Do not give up or get too frustrated. Take your time and learn.

Like I said before, too much smoke can be bad too.

Was it your second tank after break-in?

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3

RC poster
    No it was about my 5th or 6th tank after the break in tanks , hopefully I will learn from this. I really enjoyed the times I have got to drive it.

I hope you continue to enjoy it as well. Once Traxxas gets back to you on this, I would ask them personally what they think went wrong and what you could do to prevent it in the future (if anything you could have done better for example).

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3

Definitely would like to see pics of the top of that piston and one of the used glowplug.... Very hard to tell by the pics of the sides of the piston....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC poster
    This is the email I received back from Traxxas , Must say I am very pleased with there customer support , Now to learn from my mistakes.

Notes:
    After examining the engine, we are going to replace it as a courtesy, one time only. The connecting rod was split down the middle, which is the the most common failure from improper temperatures during breakin. It is critical that the engine reach temperatures in excess of 210 degree Fahrenheit and stay above that temperature during break-in, especially on the first two tanks. It is better to be well above 210 degrees than to be below 210 degrees even by just a few degrees. It is perfectly acceptable for the engine to operate as high as 270 degrees Fahrenheit. The TRX Racing Engines Owner's Manual does explain the importance of the engine reaching at least 200 to 215 degrees, unfortunately it is covered extensively only under the "Winter Break-In Tips" section because under most circumstances in warmer weather the engine will reach at least 200 degrees without the operator doing anything special. What we did not account for is that some people actually take it so easy on the eng
    ine during break in that the engine is not working hard enough to reach those temperatures. Because certain portions of the break in procedures are subject to interpretation, we have found that people will interpret the recommended application of throttle differently. If a person is excessively conservative with their throttle application, the engine may never reach 200 degrees even if it is warm outside. Failure to get and keep the engine above the recommended temperature usually leads to a broken connecting rod or broken piston skirt early in the engines life. People who have a great deal of nitro experience and understand every aspect of how to properly break in and operate a nitro engine will almost never have an issue. Even after break-in the engine will last the longest and perform at its best running between 200 and 270 degrees. Traxxas makes an inexpensive on-board temp gauge that is easy to install and use. It is part number 4091 and retails for $27.75. Thank you

Yup, Traxxas customer service rocks!

Either the on~board temp gauge or a handheld like the DuraTraxx Flashpoint IR temp probe can be an invaluable aid in tuning.

When you get the new engine don't hesitate ask if you have questions about it, breaking &/or tuning.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    @wildman4910 Sorry to post here but I tried to reply to a IM and your Box is Stuffed and U cannot get more
    BTW I see those on-board temp usints selling for like $18 is that a decent deal?
    Do they by chance Just have a way you can push a button to get temp or is it like always on and if so how long do batteries last or do they have ability to connect to say Onboard RX packs Etc??
    T-Maxx 3.3 :)

RC Racer
    I would get the hand held temp gun for just a few more dollars. You can pick one up cheap on eBay, or Harbor Freight. This way you can jump from Nitro to Electric temp measurement.

Sent from Mars Curiosity.

Inbox cleaned out!

I use a hand held as they are more accurate, DuraTraxx flash point ($24) is a good one.
    O'Donnals fuel has one too.
    HarborFreight tools have some if there's one near you.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/infrare...ter-93984.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-93983.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-96451.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/infrare...act-69465.html

When using one you take the temp right down at the glow plug, you can just wiggle it around till you get the highest reading.
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 12-25-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC poster
    sweet thanks