Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Chains.

RC Qualifier

Tire Chains.

Well I was at home depot today spending my tool allowance money from work and I walked by the chain section and decided to buy 30 feet of #14 jack chain. So when I got home I decided to make a set of chains for my summit. I ended up making them universal for any of my summits tires. Once I was done I got a wild hair and decided to make links hanging off staggered on each cross chain. Not sure if it will help but looks mean. I also found out that they may not work to well on the mid slingers. The tread is to deep and the chain falls in-between the Lugs.

First thing I did was find something round that's a little bit bigger then my wheels. A roll of duct tape was perfect. I wrapped the chain around that and made that my length. Ended up being 24 links. So I made 8 of them.

Then I decided to make my cross sections. At first I went with 7 links across but it was a little to loose. So then I did 6 And it was a bit to tight. So I staggered 6 and 7 and made 8 of them for each tire.

Note the chain falling into the Lugs

Here is where I got the wild hair. As you can see I put 2 links on one cross section and then 3 on the next.

If any one else has done that or is willing to do that to theirs, let me know. I don't have any snow yet so feed back would be awesome.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC poster
    It's looking awesome, wish you all the best, keep this up...
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 12-17-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Spelling

RC Qualifier
    Perhaps if you make the cross sections longer and join them in an 'X' shape, you can lay them over the larger lugs of the Mudslingers....just a thought. I don't have chains myself...or Mudslingers, but it might work for you.

Curious if the extra links on the cross chains will do anything to add to the equation. I just finished mine as well on Friday night.

Haven't had a chance to try them out yet, been under the weather so the last thing i need to do is stand outside in the winter. Adding those links if they add some traction might be better idea than doubling up the cross-chains.

(RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Switchblade View Post
    Perhaps if you make the cross sections longer and join them in an 'X' shape, you can lay them over the larger lugs of the Mudslingers....just a thought. I don't have chains myself...or Mudslingers, but it might work for you.
    I was thinking on how to do this all day and I just realized that I plan on cutting the Lugs so it opens the lug patter. I also wanted to keep down on the weight down. After I read what you said I thought of many ways to cross the cross sections.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Curious if the extra links on the cross chains will do anything to add to the equation. I just finished mine as well on Friday night.

Haven't had a chance to try them out yet, been under the weather so the last thing i need to do is stand outside in the winter. Adding those links if they add some traction might be better idea than doubling up the cross-chains.

I sure hope someone trys it. It actually snowed here today but didn't stick
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    Sure looks like it helps

I'd try it but they're calling for a green winter in most of Ontario.. it snows pretty good here and just melts right away
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Qualifier
    does it grip well?
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Racer
    Built a set in black. Have about $14 in everything.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha-z View Post
    Built a set in black. Have about $14 in everything.

Lol. I couldn't .make up my mind on the black or silver chain. I have about 17 in mine. I bought 30 feet and used about 28.I think I like the black.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    Lol. I couldn't .make up my mind on the black or silver chain. I have about 17 in mine. I bought 30 feet and used about 28.I think I like the black.
    Sounds about right. I bought 25' @ .57 a foot. Thanks for giving me the idea though. Took a little bit to get the first set dialed in, but once I had one set done, the other three were a breeze. This is my extra set of tires, so I'll probably just leave them on.

I paid $14 for a 100' reel of #12 Zinc Jack Chain at work.

First set made ended up in the trash, got it nailed down on the 2nd try, and them hammered out 3 more in about 15 minutes.

These are some a friend bought on ebay. Notice the large number of cross chains.

Does he with the most tire bling win?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-17-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I almost decided to go that route, but figures 6 crosschains first and try them. can easily add more if i think they will help

RC Qualifier
    I seen them on eBay and I thought wbout making a set with more but I wasn't sure which would be better. More or less. I ended up going with eight.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    These are some a friend bought on ebay. Notice the large number of cross chains.

Does he with the most tire bling win?
    Nice! I am actually gonna run a 45* angle from the left side of a crossbar forward to the right side of the next crossbar. Hard to explain, but it will add some gripping power for sure.

RC Qualifier
    You all wont believe it. I just went to let my dogs out and I have a inch of snow on the ground. How's that for timing.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    Nice! I am actually gonna run a 45* angle from the left side of a crossbar forward to the right side of the next crossbar. Hard to explain, but it will add some gripping power for sure.
    I seen a set like that before. Looked like diamonds. I wanted to keep weight down just for the cintrifical mass.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

Just remember to alternate that angle or they will pull in the direction of the angled chain. |\|/|\|/|...

RC Qualifier
    Haha. Or you could make one side go to the left and the other side to the right. Lol.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Just remember to alternate that angle or they will pull in the direction of the angled chain. |\|/|\|/|...
    Yeah, probably run them like this:

l/l
    l\l
    l/l
    l\l

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    Thought I'd share my chain specs. too. I went with #12 chain instead of #14. It's maybe not as scale, but I feel it's a bit more aggressive. It also allowed me to use 1/8 inch chain couplings to make them easily removable too There are 9 cross chains, each 7 links long. The length runs are 16 links.

The installed chains add about 2.4 pounds to the weight of my Summit.

The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    Thought I'd share my chain specs. too. I went with #12 chain instead of #14. It's maybe not as scale, but I feel it's a bit more aggressive. It also allowed me to use 1/8 inch chain couplings to make them easily removable too There are 9 cross chains, each 7 links long. The length runs are 16 links.

The installed chains add about 2.4 pounds to the weight of my Summit.

Wow 2.4 pounds. I wonder how much mine weigh.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    its video time!

RC Racer
    Decided to add a few more rungs to mine. I wanted the chains equally spaced, so I installed one rung per pattern of the tire, which gives you a total of 10 rungs. Tried it out tonight and it digs!!! Can't wait to get more snow and really put them to the test, but so far I am impressed on the ice.

RC Qualifier
    Well I got home today and had 3" of snow on the ground and I had the mud slingers on and I went and played. I killed a set of batteries. I figured that there wasn't enough snow to run the chains but I couldn't resist. So I threw another set of batteries In and the stock tires and chains. OMG!!!!!! Amazing!!!!!! The links that I left hanging, did amazing. They dug right threw the snow and had so much traction.
    I didnt even think about a video but is was dark so it wouldn't have done that well. I do know that the chains to the slingers are night and day.
    And they sound cool driving threw my kitchen.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    Well I got home today and had 3" of snow on the ground and I had the mud slingers on and I went and played. I killed a set of batteries. I figured that there wasn't enough snow to run the chains but I couldn't resist. So I threw another set of batteries In and the stock tires and chains. OMG!!!!!! Amazing!!!!!! The links that I left hanging, did amazing. They dug right threw the snow and had so much traction.
    I didnt even think about a video but is was dark so it wouldn't have done that well. I do know that the chains to the slingers are night and day.
    And they sound cool driving threw my kitchen.
    LOL!!! We need to get some videos but it's always dark by the time I get home. I have Friday off, so maybe I can try and get something done.

RC Qualifier
    I will see if i can get a video tomorrow. I get about 30 min of daylight when I get home. If I still have snow.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    Those chains are getting lost in your lugs. I have same tires. I removed the smaller lugs with nippers to get little more bite. Haven't been able to try in snow yet,..but I am guessing they will do well as is. I also removed the foams which made it crawl MUCH better. No foam to get wet either

RC Qualifier
    LOL!!! We need to get some videos but it's always dark by the time I get home. I have Friday off, so maybe I can try and get something done.
    Are those Christmas cookies in the background of your wheel picture. Mmmmmm !!!
    The Kid

RC Qualifier
    Well I got home today and every spec of snow was melted. I'm hoping it will snow again soon and if it does ill get some videos and pictures.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Qualifier
    still no blizzard here

RC Qualifier
    I must be the real optomist here
    It hasn't snowed here in a year, but I promised my kids that the first snow in the mountains (about 30 minutes away) that we're going
    The Kid

RC Racer
    We got a bunch of snow overnight (it's 4AM here now). I will be taking it out today for sure!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Lol. Your lucky. It's 5am and it 45 degrees out and the snow level jumped to 1500 feet. And im at sea level.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Racer
    OK, video would have been better but I got snow on the screen. In the process of building a "hood" for it to keep the snow from flying directly on it. You get the idea though. Id does way better than no chains at all!!

RC Racer
    Built a boot for the Drift HD. Works pretty well but still get some snow in there.

looked like fun to me.....So thats a win i'd say.no snow here lots of liquid snow though
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Here's another video with the boot on. Better...........

BTW, my son is driving and he has no idea he is getting his own Summit for X-mas

RC Qualifier
    Very nice, looks like fun Still hoping for snow, sometime
    The Kid