Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Pavmentsurfers Stampede 4X4 Ultimate Build... continually updated with pics.

Im too pumped not to start this thread now. And since I have all the parts I can at least start with something. Right now im just going to introduce the build and list the parts I will be installing. Then, later on, ill post up pics of all the parts. When the truck comes, ill post pics of it along with the tear down and rebuild process.

The idea here was to build a truck thats equal in every way to my 2X4 Pede... its fully jammed with all handpicked parts. I chose everything for that truck with a purpose and its been extremely good to me. I could run the stock 4X4 for a bit sure, but with a 2X4 thats so good, it would be hard to compete. So I figured id just go for it right off the bat with the 4X4 and do a complete upgrade. I want it to be durable, fast, run cool and still be considered a Stampede. So no chassis changes or lengthening (then id just have a slash 4X4, so what would the point be). So far, ive got just about every upgrade I can think of other than diff cups. Ill see how the stock cups hold up and if they are a problem, I have a set of cups in mind. I also dont know if steel driveshaft outdrives from a 2X4 will work on this truck (I think they will) and I have 2 sets here if they do.

Here's the list of parts to be installed. I have all of these right now and they are ready to go when the truck arrives:

-Castle Mamba Max Pro ESC
    -Castle 2650 Monster Motor
    -Hitec HS645MG servo
    -KO Propo RX
    -Hot Racing Motor Plate with Heatsink (black)
    -King Heads Motor Mount with Oversized Bearing (black)
    -Traxxas Aluminum Slipper Bearing Adapter
    -Hot Racing Slash 4X4 HD Double Slipper Plate Adapter
    -RPM Slash 4X4 Front Bumper (black)
    -RPM Slash 4X4 Front and Rear Shock Towers (black)
    -RPM Slash 4X4 Front and Rear Arms (black)
    -RPM Slash 4X4 Front and Rear body Mounts (black)
    -Traxxas Aluminum Castor Blocks (blue)
    -Traxxas Aluminum Bearing Carriers, Front (blue)
    -Traxxas Aluminum Bearing Carriers, Rear (blue)
    -Traxxas Aluminum Big Bore Shocks
    -Traxxas Aluminum Wheel Nuts (blue)
    -Traxxas Clear Plastic Gear Cover
    -Traxxas Center Differential Kit
    -Proline Hummer SUT Body
    -Proline 30 Series Torque Rims
    -Proline 30 Series Badlands Tires

Im not sure if the shock guards will work with RPM arms, but im going to give it a try and will post in both this forum and the slash 4X4 forum as to my results.

In retrospect, it would have been much easier to just buy a roller from the bay and built that up, but then I would have had to wait... and I hate waiting.
    Pics will be up tonight. Thanks for looking.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Tuned in! Can't wait to follow someone who has experience with a pede, as this will be my first...

RC Qualifier
    I'm just trying to patiently wait for the parts to become available so I can swap my Slash to a beloved Pede. (Not knocking the Slash here, but I'm a MT kind of guy and not a SCT)

are you dead set on using the center diff? it seemed to me that the cdiff took a lot of bash out of bashing with my 4x4 slash. what weight oil? put some tree sap(500,000) in and still get wheelies??cant wait to see it together!!!!!!!!!
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

Im not going to install the diff right away. I got it because it was cheap when bought the rest of the platinum stuff so I figured why not. But no, from the get go im just going to run the slipper.
    Heres some pics of the parts I have to install...

Electronics:

RPM Parts:

Drivetrain and slipper parts:

Traxxas Platinum parts (including big bores) and battery straps:

Proline body and wheels/tires:
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

pm me if you dont want the stock tires.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Champion
    Thats a long list of parts. can't wait to see this. You will surely have to post some vids especially with the p4x4 on your track!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    This is going to be awesome

RC poster
    what batteries are you planning on using. If you use 4s is going to explode with that much power. i had a slash 4x4 with that setup, and it was uncontrolable. It nuked everything

cant wait to see the pede tho, they look awesome

Ive got a couple Venom 3S 5000mah 30C. I dont intend to run 4S at all... I dont think the drivetrain (ie driveshafts) can handle it.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    There was a member that was showing off some driveshaft mods for the SL4x4 a little while back that used Revo or Maxx driveshafts and maybe axles on all four corners. So with a bit of work it might be possible.

RC poster
    it would be pretty decen't on 3s, i wish i had some money to get a stampede 4x4, but im not about to sell my 8ight.

RC Racer
    Waiting on mine to get here. I'll play with it a little bit. Then I have a Ballistic 4.5 waiting to hooked up to the VXL esc and either a 2s or maybe 3s battery. I ordered the red one. Santa is bringing my daughter a 2wd Stampede VXL.
    It's adult proof, not child proof !

RC Qualifier
    Subscribed! This is going to be a gooooood thread!
    Traxxas start making dirt bikes! :)

RC Champion
    Just an observation, not a criticism, but you seem to have gone top shelf on everything... but you chose a slow, analog servo... wondering if you have a particular reason, other than price.. as you didnt spare any price when you bought the other electronics...
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Champion
    this thing is going to be cool, i wonder if people will have the same problem's with the center driveshaft, like the slash 4x4 does/did!!
    rustler vxl 2.4

I didnt look into servos much. I really dont have a problem with the 2075 but I actually had this Hitec servo sitting around and since the rest of the truck isnt going to be waterproof I figured the metal gears would be better than the plastic in the 2075. If its too slow or doesnt work the way I want ill just go back to the 2075 and look for a better digital servo. It seems there are really 2 price ranges... the $35-40 metal gear, high torque... then you gotta jump up to spend $80-100 for a digital... right now I just dont see the need for a $80 servo. But your right, if I do get a new one... itll be a good one.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    You should have a buddy drive a stock rustler or pede 2x4 and compare the performance with your BA 4x4 pede.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    In retrospect, it would have been much easier to just buy a roller from the bay and built that up, but then I would have had to wait... and I hate waiting.
    Pics will be up tonight. Thanks for looking.
    I ended up starting two rock crawler projects for my son and I to keep me busy before this truck came out which I am still working on. If the roller doesn't come out sooner, I'll have to buy a RTR as well. Here's my list if you are interested....Keep in mind that I am converting my Slash 4x4 Ultimate Edition to a stampede so I am trying to avoid adding more parts in my home inventory.

Slash 4x4 UE parts
    MIP Rear X-Duty CVD Kit Slash 4x4
    MIP Front X-Duty CVD Kit Slash 4x4
    Associated DS1015 Hi Torque/Hi Speed Digital Servo (It replaced my HS645MG)
    Robinson Racing Xtra Hard 5mm 8 Mod Pinion 22T
    RPM Front/Rear A-Arms Black Slash 4x4
    RPM Adjustable Body Mounts Slash 4x4
    RPM Front Bumper & Skid Plate Black Slash 4x4
    RPM Rear Bumper Black Slash 4x4
    Losi Spring 4.1 Rate,Blue
    Losi Spring 3.1 Rate,Green
    Traxxas 4x4 Slash Slipper Nut Cover
    Traxxas Clear Plastic Gear Cover
    Traxxas 5351 Slipper Pressure Plate
    Traxxas #5352R H/D Rebuild Kit
    Castle Creations CC Blower Monstr Mtr Cool Fan & Shroud
    Castle Creations CC Pinion 32P 22T
    Castle Mamba Max Pro ESC
    Castle 2650 Monster Motor
    Spectrum DSX3S and receiver

I am still undecided on the Wheel and Tire combo for the Stampede, but I've had great luck with the Badlands on my slash 4x4 (AKA 17mm and wheels)
    Last edited by all aluminum; 12-08-2010 at 10:43 PM.
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Pave - I want to see this monster when I travel north next month.

The rest of the crew is currently loading up a trailer with sleds to go riding around where youll be staying... the snow up there is great. By the time you arrive... it will be perfect.
    Nice list all aluminum... should be a sweet rig.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I am also waiting on a roller

RC Racer
    I just got my 4x4....but it's going to take more grinding than I was planing on.My 1512 and my tekin 1400 buggy motor don't fit!The chassis in set up is not the same as my slash 4x4 the motor sits in a slot thats not long enough for my motors.

RC Qualifier
    Pave you should look at the new mmp sc system
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

Nah... im gonna find a way to get my 2650 in there. I dont think the SC system will be a whole lot more impressive than the VXL if I was powering it with an MMP... but I would go with that motor if I cant get the 2650 to work... but im pretty determined.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by RAVIN View Post
    I just got my 4x4....but it's going to take more grinding than I was planing on.My 1512 and my tekin 1400 buggy motor don't fit!The chassis in set up is not the same as my slash 4x4 the motor sits in a slot thats not long enough for my motors.
    Got any pics?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Got any pics?
    I'll try to post some..I got the 1512 in but as of now the gearing is a bit limited but should be ok.

RC Racer

Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-10-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: extra [IMG]s

With what ESC. Im very curious how this works.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I just want to point out that I said it could be done all along. There were those who said it woudlent fit and I said oh yeah, itll fit. and there you go... it fits. now I REALLY cant wait.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    With what ESC. Im very curious how this works.
    It's a MMP,also the 1512 is the 1800kv on 3s (2 3s 2550 40c in parallel)I just took it for a spin in the dark it runs great! I have it geared at 21/50=40 mph.

RC Champion
    I didnt look into servos much. I really dont have a problem with the 2075 but I actually had this Hitec servo sitting around and since the rest of the truck isnt going to be waterproof I figured the metal gears would be better than the plastic in the 2075. If its too slow or doesnt work the way I want ill just go back to the 2075 and look for a better digital servo. It seems there are really 2 price ranges... the $35-40 metal gear, high torque... then you gotta jump up to spend $80-100 for a digital... right now I just dont see the need for a $80 servo. But your right, if I do get a new one... itll be a good one.
    I have two of those 645 hi-tec servos, one in my 4x4 and they work fine. I use truggy tires on my 4x4 and that servo is strong enough to turn those and plenty fast enough for me.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones8352 View Post
    I have two of those 645 hi-tec servos, one in my 4x4 and they work fine. I use truggy tires on my 4x4 and that servo is strong enough to turn those and plenty fast enough for me.
    I have both the HS-645 and the digital HS-5645 on both of my scale rock crawlers...Even though they are not advertised as being waterproof they are water tight and work well in water and under water. I have dunked my trucks in water and have yet to have issues just like the members from rcc forums. Here's a quick pictures with my friend's summit (just to be traxxas related)

XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

RC poster
    wow you guys are crazy LOL. I upgrades my Pede already and I think I stop here:
    Upgrades:
    -traxxas slash platinum big bore shocks
    -Slash 4x4 blue aluminum front knuckles w/ C-hubs and blue aluminum rear axle carriers
    -Traxxas Slash 4x4 Front and Rear RPM Arms Blue

maybe a decent XP servos 1015 or something like that and that's it. Good luck on your project OP.

RC Enthusiast
    The roller's on ebay are about 170 now so a great deal-i got the 1st one from ebay and paid $239 then the seller lowered prices to 219 so i messaged and got $20 back-but now they are 170-oh well. I also used 30 series badlands but i shattered 2 stock pinions (stock 11t shattered when it was barely tight-so i grabbed my stock 13t from my slash 4x4 and ran it inside for 2 min on slick floor and shattered that). HEY TRAXXAS upgrade the metal pleeease.

http://www.ultimaterc.com/show-rc.ph...26d=1292291913
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/show-rc.ph...26d=1292292026

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    I've been working 16 hour days for the whole week. this thread keeps coming to mind, kinda getting through till today. I guess I can wait one more if I got to lol. Looking forward to your build Pave.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Hehehe... believe me... the wait is driving me nuts. Especially all the threads from people who already have the truck and are upgrading. Ive been tracking the package and its now cleared customs in canada (likely with a sizeable fee) and should be here tomorrow... but monday at the latest. Im away from saturday till tuesday in Quebec so if its not in till tomorrow ill have to wait 4 MORE DAYS... so annoying.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Probably a lot faster and easier if you just would've driven across the border for a day and brought one back...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by all aluminum View Post
    I have both the HS-645 and the digital HS-5645 on both of my scale rock crawlers...Even though they are not advertised as being waterproof they are water tight and work well in water and under water. I have dunked my trucks in water and have yet to have issues just like the members from rcc forums. Here's a quick pictures with my friend's summit (just to be traxxas related)

I can back All Aluminum on that, I've dunked the 645MG on my SCX10 in that same area a few times with out any issues, and that's after a few years of it getting abused when that truck was still my AX10 comp truck!
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Qualifier
    I hope this thread isn't going to end like this. I really want to see how it turns out. Come on pave!!
    If it ain't dirty get it dirty