Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Glow-Plugs 3232X been having Issues with them anything HD'er?

So here is my situation I ordered two 3232X Glow plugs which I had assumed were Super Duty ( or HD as far as Construction) yet Ifound I toasted those in about 2 days one only lasted about 15min.
    I am not running lean and noticed both went bad when I shut it down using the fuel line clamp, yet I replaced the Plugs both times with an older one that was just included in a Lot of T-Maxx Items I aquired.
    The Used Plug appears to have been used alot as it is Blackened and has signs of a bit of useage yet this plug seems to work fine when the New ones seem to go bad.
    I recently ordered three more 3232X's and go figure after running about 3/4 of a tank through it when I shut it off Via the Clamp again I found when I went to restart the EZStart wand showed the Plug being bad again so I went back to the used plug and ran a couple more tanks through it.
    Why does it appear to me I am getting bad or at least Light duty plugs and why is the old plug seem to keep on going even though the new ones go bad?
    Is there a Heavier duty plug I can get for my 2.5 Engine?
    Also why do they state not to run the engine lean and that glow plugs can burn up under lean conditions yet they recommend shutting down by running the engine out of fuel or running lean?
    I seen a Device that you use to plug the exhaust to kill the engine even though that would seem to flood it would that possibly be a better option seeing how i have smoked three 3232X's by pinching off the fuel line?
    The engine was running just fine prior to shut down and I counted each time and got about a Late 3 to early 4 Second count from the time I pinched teh line till it shut down so that falls right in the proper Mixture specs found in the manual.
    I even took and set the HSN properly using the manual methods and to be sure I was not running to lean I richened the HSN about 1/8th turn just to be safe.
    Any suggestions or Ideas as to what is going on would be greatly appreciated as it is costing me an arm and leg to keep replacing plugs like I have been.
    I think I have went through 5 Plugs now in the last month maybe.
    T-Maxx 3.3 :)

RC Qualifier
    Now this is absolutely rediculous, just now i went and ran the truck for 1/8th a tank of fuel on a brand New Glow Plug and I just shut it down to come inside for a sec and as soon as I went outside to restart it which was less then 5 min. and teh new Glow Plug is Dead, This is something that is going to stop me from being able to run as i cannot afford to spend $5-6 every Time I shut it off.
    I am going to try the Plug the exhaust Trick from now on and see if that saves the plugs since no one has any comments or suggestions.

RC Qualifier
    OK so here is what has me just Torked beyond belief, I removed the BRAND NEW 3232X Plug that Burnt out and put in the Old Plug I found in the Misc parts and have been using as a last resort plug and Guess what, it started and runs fine and i made no adjustments at all, I shut it down now 3 Times via Plugging teh exhaust Shich I do not like as it is a bear to restart so I tried the Fuel line Clamp (which was a Guaranteed way to kill the 3232X plugs and so far the Old plug has done just fine shutting down via fuel line clamp.
    This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the Traxxas 3232X plugs made recently as I now have 4 dead ones each run at max 1/2 tank of fuel and each time one of those burnt out I installed the old plug previously mentioned and it still works.
    Even though the old plug looks like it has quite a bit of useage I am just going to keep using it till it finally croaks.
    Is there a Better plug I can use Like a 3232 or maybe a 3230? are there any other Traxxas #'s for compatable glow plugs for the 2.5 or 3.3 engine?
    and even though we are not supposed to talk about aftermarket parts with my situation I think this validates me asking if anyone knows of a Brand and # of a Glow plug that is compatable and is a True Super Duty that I can use without this issue of them dying so quickly?
    I even checked my Micture by backing of 1/4 and I found that the truck has a hard time shifting into 2nd so I know I was running at the rich end for sure so there is no reason for these plugs to be burning out like they have.

RC Qualifier
    Well this is just Stupid now, I went through 4 Glow Plugs today. thats $24 minus shipping that is unreasonable.
    and I do have it narrowed down to 1 of 2 things either the way it is said to shut down the engine is very hard on Glow plugs or the newest batch of Traxxas 3232X plugs are faulty.
    Every single time I lost a plug it was when I shut it off by pinching teh fuel line off.
    Even though it ran the 3-4 Seconds Hige end of 3 low end of 4 and the HSN is set perfect or possibly a little rich the glow plugs would work fine and teh truck woudl run great until I went to restart after pinching off fuel line.
    I even had the truck die a few times when I was trying to get the idle a littl;e lower and it never once killed the plug. Actually it died probably 10 times total but no plug issues.
    Only when I pinch off fuel line, heck I can stick my finger over exhaust pipe and kill it and teh only side effect was it takes a while to restart and I usually have to start it with part throttle so it shoots off on me but at least it doesnot kill the glow plugs.
    When I first got this truck I had 1 glow plug but I did not have a Fuel line clamp so I found other ways to kill it like back off idle screw etc. only last few days have I had the actual fuel Clamp that comes stock with these and every since it has been the worst thing I could of been using.
    I cannot believe I lost 4 plugs today alone.
    I have one more left if It goes out I am done running until late January or if I can find something to sell online.
    It is so sickening as I just ordered 3 Plugs so I woudl be sure to have enough and since they used to last me well heck before this issue I do not remember actually having any go bad well I couldn't have lost more then one since I in total bought 6 plugs .
    I think I did have one go bad during the break-in of the 2.5 engine in Nov. I think it made it through 6 tanks then croaked but I was expecting that. today and last few days has been something weird real weird and I am really thinking it is the Traxxas plug itself.

That is very strange, I always shutdown mine by pinching the fuel line & haven't had an issue with the plugs burning out.

The DuraTraxx LR3 is a good plug too, it's a re-badged O.S. LC3 plug but @ $1~$2 cheaper then the O.S. plug depending on where you buy it from.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    After thinking a bit about this issue I am now thinking I may be incorrect by the Issue being the shutdown. as the Plug would still glow once started and the engine is running so it actually could break the coil and still glow and run the engine but of course once ya hit it with the EZStart or a Separate igniter it would not have a complete circuit to get it glowing.
    It just to me seemed to be the shutdown as I had it die a couple times and had no Issues restarting but once I pinched the fuel line it was done.
    I could depend on it being toast that how crazy this is. I even tried a couple times by pluggintheeh exhaust with my finger and it would restart after a few cranks antheeh throttle about 1/2 but I did not like doing that.
    I did see a specific tool designed to plug the exhaust outlet I assume some R/C Nitro Manufacturers suggest killing the engine by plugging the exhaust?

It is to bad I do not have the ability to somehow repair the glow coils that went bad it would be nice to know I could always fix those 6 Next to new Plugs somehow.
    I am curious if you or possibly anyone would know what happens when someone takes the Dual Chamber Resonator pipe and drills out the Stinger thing to a larger size?
    I read about that being an option for more power with the 3.3 especially when using one of the Larger Carbs like a 9MM or so.
    I have a Stock Black exhaust Pipe (the Plastic ones) I am thinking maybe I should try running that and see if that changes my plug life. It looks like my Pipe has been modded, I guess I could open up the Pressure nipple so I get more pressure to the Tank.
    Does anyone happen to have an Idea what the Pressure is supposed to be to the fuel tank when Idling and say when at WOT?
    The WOT would be a bit hardtheto get teh reading from but the Idle could be figured by just installing a pressure gauge with a T into the Pressure line.
    Also one other thing, I recently bought a New Nitro Fuel filter and installed the old one in the pressure line as I read it would help keep crud from ctheng from teh exhaust to the tank.
    I would notice a Lean condition same as if my HSN was set to lean if my Filters were restricting the fuels ability to get to the carb correct?

RC Qualifier
    Been reading some Posts about Running Lean, Blowing Rods, etc. Now Factory settings state 4 Turns out HSN and 1.5 to 1.75 Turns out LSN for break in and that is Supposed to be rich.
    SO what would 1.75 out LSN and 4.75 out HSN be considered? Moind it I live in Portland Oregon, I believe at about 40-70 feet above seal level, humidity about 70% or higher, temps last week been between 40 and 50 F. One day was around 38. I always Pre Heat Engine with a 1500 watt Hair Dryer ran on low for about 5 min to slowly warm then hit it on high about 5 min to heat everything well, get Head real warm but not to hot to touch, DO not fill Tank till just prior to starting as I found it will flood if filled then heated up.
    Any Other suggestions what I can do to try to save my Glow plugs and even more important ensure I am not damaging Engine?
    I get great amount of smoke and am Running Special/Custom Blend 20% Nitro 12% Castor oil and 6% Synthetic.
    I had even ran the HSN at 5.25 out to get a comparison against 4.75 and at 5.25 I could not get second gear and it was slug like, at 4.75 it was snappy would wheelie ever so often, hit second well, never bogged or acted lean at all.
    I do not have a Temp gage nor a Laser Infrared Gun but did use the water drop test and got a decent sizzle without violent boil but not one that acted to cool either.
    This has got me so puzzled. I sure could use any Suggestions or Ideas as to what to try or maybe where to start checking for problems etc.

If you are going through plugs like that you either have a problem with your tune, a leak, old fuel sometimes but rare, or you have some internal debris....

There's no real issues with 3232X plugs that you would have that many problems...

try Duratrax LR3, OS LC3, Megatech Q, McCoy Mc59... Bet your going to see the same issue.... I don't think it's your plug spudler...

NOw I see you mentioning tuning the HSN,,, what about the LSN... If the LSN is not in tune, you can tweak that HSN till the cows come home and it will never be right....

Tune with 1/2 a tank of fuel and no more,,, make sure you tune with the body on as much as you can because that's how you run it... Follow this tuning sticky, for cooler weather you may want to preheat your RC by using a hair dryer... Some use a baby sock over the cooling head.... http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread....&goto=newpost
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    If you are going through plugs like that you either have a problem with your tune, a leak, old fuel sometimes but rare, or you have some internal debris....

There's no real issues with 3232X plugs that you would have that many problems...

try Duratrax LR3, OS LC3, Megatech Q, McCoy Mc59... Bet your going to see the same issue.... I don't think it's your plug spudler...

NOw I see you mentioning tuning the HSN,,, what about the LSN... If the LSN is not in tune, you can tweak that HSN till the cows come home and it will never be right....

Tune with 1/2 a tank of fuel and no more,,, make sure you tune with the body on as much as you can because that's how you run it... Follow this tuning sticky, for cooler weather you may want to preheat your RC by using a hair dryer... Some use a baby sock over the cooling head.... http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread....&goto=newpost
    I think I found the Problem, I think it is my Resonator Pipe I noticed the Output nipple seemed to have some Marks in it and I measured it and it is 6MM and I installed a Plastic Stock pipe and I noticed there is a huge amount of air flow out of the Line to tank nipple where I cannot feel anything coming out of the Resonator pipe. so I think I was getting lean issues sporadically depending on RPM and Load put on engine that is probably why I can run the LSN at 2.25 out rather then the 1.5 to 1.75 as mentioned in the break in Info what is werid is I ran the Resonator about a week before this started happening so I did not put the2 together. I lost my last plug today before I got to switch the pipes so when I have enough money to get some new glow plugs I will test out the old pipe and see if that fixes it. To bad I wasted $42 worth of glow plugs before I figured this out.

RC Racer
    12% synthetic & 6% castor, that 18% oil, you could also try getting a fuel with less oil in it, it may not solve your problem but you will get better performance from your engine. I went from a fuel with around 18% to one with 12% & the difference was huge, was easier to tune & had more power & I could get my Revo doing wheelstands pretty easy as well.
    I never had a problem with the Traxxas 3232x plugs myself, they seemed to last ok.
    REVO 21tm grunt & JQ Products "The Car" GO NITRO

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the Info, I will have to go get a 1/4 Torque wrench so I have something that is rated in in. Lbs.
    I checked my Resonator Pipe and it has a 6mm hole on the output nipple thing and I was hardly getting any flow out of the return to Tank nipple, I installed the Plastic Pipe that comes with the T-Maxx Classic and I noticed a large amount of air is blowing out of the return to tank nipple if I was having a wide range of Mixture settings as RPM and Load was put on the engine.
    I bet that explains why I was running at 2.25 out for LSN and 5-5.5 out of HSN. I knew the tuning would be different with the different pipe but never expected it to cause this much problems.
    I was going to try the stock plastic pipe and see if it made anything better but I rolled teh truck on its lid and before I could flip it over it died and toasted my last glow plug.
    Unfortunately I do not get my check until saturday so I may not be able to run it or test anything until then .
    I did get some pics of the plugs but I am not sure if I can get a good pic of the actual coils enough to see what is happeneing although I think it is lean at some point during running although it is not acting lean at Idle nor when I do WOT passes. but if the exhaust is teh problem that could explain why it is not so obvious as to what is going on.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I have a Gallon of Fuel that is 20% Nitro and 16% Castor maybe next I will try 20% Nitro and 12% Castor and see how that works, But actually I am not having any Issues with Power it seems to me I have plenty of power I just do not want to be short on Oil as I cannot afford to replace an engine every Gallon or 2 I would rather run 18% oil and sacrifice a little power to get the extra life out of teh engine as long as that much oil is not going to cause any damage somehow.

If your weren't getting wnough pressure to the fuel tank that would definitely be a serious problem...

Now you can see if there is a blockage in the resonator pipe, soak it in some Denatured alcohol and then use a paper clip to chase down the hole of the pressure nipple...

But this is the first time I've heard of an issue like this with a TRX resonator.... Sure it was not a leaky coupler, leaky header gasket or bad connection on the pressure line side?

That one plug,,,, definitely lean.... I see carbonization..... Hopefully you haven't ran it too much like this, that can bring an engine to an early grave if it has seen high temps for a few tanks... Did you notice high temps? I would think the temps would be up there...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

I measured both the stock plastic pipe & the aluminum Resonator pipe I have.
    Resonator stinger is 5.47mm & plastic stinger is 5.70mm.

Put new bit of fuel line to the resonator & blow through it to see if it's gummed up & soak it if it is.
    It is a big improvement over the plastic pipe.

Like NN said look over the coupler, header & header gasket too & replace them if they have any significant damage.

Ouch that is an expensive lesson!

On most camera's there is a setting called Macro, it's for taking detailed pics up close

Pic #2 doesn't look too bad.

Note the deformed whitish color of the coils, it was lean at one point in it's life.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    Well I switched to the plastic pipe and it appeared to loose a Plug as soon as I shut it down and It was running way rich as it took about 7 seconds to shut down, but then later when I was looking at the 2 plugs with my Glow plug ignitor to see which one was bad they both lit up.
    SO having a 6mm size hole and not a 5.7mm in my resonator that would not be causing a lack of back pressure or running lean issue?
    I will run some of the cleaner I have especially for Aluminum and Carbon etc. and see if that helps, it will kill my polish but that is the least of my concern as now I am afraid to even run it this has me completely puzzled as I ran it alot back in October and november and did not have a single issue.
    I checked for a leak at the header by applying soapy substance and plugging off the exhaust nd found no leaks.
    I do not know what to do now I was sure once I installed teh plastuc pipe I would not have an Issue although it will not run at all at the 2.25 LSN and 5 HSN setting that is way to rich for the plastic pipe but was smoking plugs with the resonator pipe.
    I just bought 3 new Plugs and I will get pictures of teh 2 I ran for a couple minutes but other then that I am at a loss and maybe I will just park it till better weather comes along or I can get one of these temp guns as I have been using teh water nethod and it seemed to be fine but obviously I am along was from fine.
    SO depressing as I was just starting to have fun too.

RC Qualifier
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Here is the new pics this is the best I can get with my camera from what I have tested, the plug in the electrical tape jaws is the one that supposedly went bad though when tested with my External Ignitor lit up fine and the one with the brass ring is the new one i ran for a few seconds.
    I will try to get a pic of a new plug non used in a few minutes.
    I have the Resonator pipe soaking in some Chemical that disolves carbon but does not damage aluminum.
    I could barely get the truck to shift to second so I was assuming I was running pretty rich and with it taking almost 8 seconds one I pinched the fuel line I was thinking it would no way be running lean enough to burn a plug unless by having it so rich caused the extra heat on teh plug.
    Any suggestions on what carb settings i should try to start with seeing how the stock ones appear to be way to lean.
    Maybe I should remove teh carb and blow out all the jets (passages) I run a Filter on the Fuel line side and the pressure from the exhaust line just to be extra sure nothing is getting in the fuel and I cleaned them both out and found basically nothing on them.

RC Qualifier
    @wildman4910 I have a Kodak Z1485 IS Camera and I do have some Settings to take Pictures like Flowers, Nightime, fireworks, etc but nothing for close up except the flowers one which did not come out very well.
    I tried to set the camera on a Tripod and used teh 2 sec delay to ensure I did not move it and got a close as I could, next I will try using Manual and see if I can come up with something better as I can zoom in on the camera istelf and get a much better picture much closer then it turns out here.
    I hopefully will figure this out and hopefully figure out the truck issues so I do not need all these pictures.

RC Qualifier
    I just took new Pictures of the 2 new plugs I used but I realized I had something in the picture that I need to remove so I will get new pictures minus the can lol

That plug didn't look bad.

That camera has a macro setting, it's the "flower" setting for taking up close pics, lighting is the key to getting a good macro pic.

Sounds like it was very rich if it won't shift.

Try starting at 5 out HSN & 3 out LSN & tune from there.

I'm running 3.5 out on the LSN on my 2.5 & that's where it seem to be really happy at with an ambient of around 80~88f

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    Ya that was what I remember from the break-in, that it would be to rich to probably shift.
    I thought those plugs looked ok too even though the one acted weird yet I have checked it 3 times now and all 3 times it will glow fine with the ingnitor.
    Maybe this whole time I have been to lean LSN although I was getting a good 3 to short 4 second run when pinched.
    I will set the LSN to 3.5 and see if that helps, I was thinking since the factory says 1.5-1.75 I would try 2.5 but to be safe I will try 3.5 worst case is it wont idle correct?
    and since you mentioned 80~88F I am positive at 45~50F the air is much denser and would surely need to be richer.
    Just out of curiosity what approx RPM range should the Shift point be? could I have it set to high(as in causing the engine to rev to high before shifting) It seems to shift OK previously before i had plug issues.
    Maybe for now I should lower it a bit till I get the mixture perfect and am no killing plugs anymore then adjust from there, I had it set kinda high as I was running up a hill across a road and up another hill and it was shifting into second at a bad time and bogging on the second hill but right now I am just running out on teh flat until I figure this issue out.
    Or can I have it set to high if it is shifting when not to rich?
    It seems to shift before it sounds or looks like it is out of the powerband the way it is now, I was just curious.

RC Qualifier
    Wow check this out does this sound strange to you?
    I cleaned out the resonator pipe and I assumed it was better, it seemed to be under water pressure but I connected it to the Truck and just to see if I was getting pressure to the tank and of course fuel to the carb I cranked it over (with a new Battery and Glow plug wire unplugged so it cranked fast) and get this I could get the fuel to come out of the line quite well (shot out actually) when I plugged the outlet but as soon as I took my finger off the fuel whent back down teh line and did not even have enough pressure to push it up at all, I would of expected some fuel to at least come out of the line maybe not shoot out but at least run out but I got nothing.
    So I read where somones outlet was 5.7mm I am reducing my outlet from 6mm back to 5.7 and see if that changes anything.
    This has to be the reason I was running lean and why the plugs were burning up.
    I know when it is running the rpm's are faster then cranking but I would of expected more pressure to teh tank cranking then what I got which was basically nothing, I can see now why this was so hard to start and why when i installed teh plastic pipe it fires up super easy without having to prime at all.

RC Qualifier
    Well I guess I fixed it, I made the Output back to 5.7MM and I ran the LSN at 3 and the HSN at 5 which was a bit rich but I Slowly leaned it out and Got to a Setting I can live with and haven't lost a plug yet, I guess I really was running lean as I noticed the Power is not there especially off Idle but I can live with it.
    I think I am 2.25 out on LSN and 4.75 HSN I am just going to stay here until I can get something that will give me an Accurate temp reading either a On board Sensor or a Hand Held Unit.
    Either way I am happy I am not smoking plugs no more, I guess I could pull the plug after a decent run and compare it to the Glow plug chart thingy to get an Idea of where i am running.
    Kinda like a Plug test in the auto world ya run it good and Shut it down and coast in and check the plugs.
    Is there anything special I need to do to get a good plug reading other the shut it down Quickly after a good WOT pass?

RC Qualifier
    Ok So far I have been running I think 5 Times now and not a Single plug issue. I really must of been running lean with the change in Temp. Good thing I am running fuel with 16% Castor so I am pretty sure it was getting plenty of Lubrication as it was always blowing Blue Smoke, that may have also been one of the Causes so Now I always Run rich and go from there, I am getting pretty good at Telling when I am rich and Lean now without paying attention to smoke that Much, I know it really REALLY Smokes alot when Rich and Is Sluggish.
    And Spit Fuel all over my tool box and Unfortunately I left one drawer Open so all my Electrical Connectors, Pliers Strippers, Metters Etc. Etc, need to be removed anbd washed LOL.
    Thanks again for all the Help I SO greatly appreciate it.

RC Qualifier
    Ok No Longer loosing Plugs but it seems I may be Overcompensating Rich due to loosing so many Plugs.
    AT WOT seems to be fine but when I first start or it idles a bit when I hit throttle it dies and in order to restart I have to Hold Throttle Open then it fires Up.
    I am thinking my LSN is set to rich aand when I come off Idle it dies or if it idles to long it dies.
    I did change over to the Ofna Tank so In case that makes any Difference.
    Id does Bog a Bit off Idle to but seems to clean out after a couple milleseconds and runs strong through first and second gear and does not appear to be running hot and Actually seems to be running quite cold at Idle.
    I was thinking of Leaning LSN about 1/16th to 1/8th and see if that Helps but do not want to bring back the Glow Plug problem.
    I am kinda Discoraged by what happened with teh plugs out of no Where Meaning Prior to that Section of Time i had not lost a Single plug and set the HSN and LSN like teh manual says and all was fine then all of a sudden my settings were no good and I keept loosing plugs and now I have no Idle or Off Idle stability it seems I am having to restart the truuck 10+ Tines in a tank or 2 run.

Try leaning the LSN a little just like you said, 1/16 or so at a time.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    You need to get fuel with less oil content. The extra oil is causing your engine to run poorly, and your tuning to go lean. Your plug issues are from running lean, whether it's tuning, lack of fuel pressure, or an air leak.
    Get some fuel with 12% oil or less and you'll see what your engine is capable of. Most engines can run as little as 8% oil and still give the same lifespan as you'd get with 16%.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum