RC Enthusiast

Engine has been sitting for years, now want to start it

My RC car has been sitting for a couple years. I want to fix the chassis and get it going again so it will be ready for spring. It is a jato 3.3 and is brand new. We broke it in like the manual said. Then enjoyed it for a week or 2 until the chassis broke in half. Then it was put in a box in the garage.

So I want to put some fuel in the chamber to help lub it up for a few Days. Then a new glow plug, and to manually rotate it to see if it will even turn.

Do you guys have any recommendations??

RC Qualifier
    You should take it completely down and clean it all in denatured alcohol.then reasemble.
    nutty like a squirrel turd....!!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Really??
    I mean this thing was brand new and barely used ... Literally.

I used this "after run" lub because it is suppose to help prevent, break down any corrosion and my 1.5 (which has been siting for just as long) is now freed up after 10 minutes. I will check the 3.3 in the morning. Here are pics of what broke on the jato.

RC poster
    I just bought one a few months ago that had not been ran for a couple of years.
    I just flushed the fuel tank, replaced the fuel lines and lubed the motor with WD 40 and it started right up with no problems.
    It runs like new.

RC Enthusiast
    The 3.3 is still stuck. I will try the wd40 and see where it goes

RC poster
    Put a lot of the WD 40 in the carburetor and take out the glow plug and fill the cylinder also.
    it should loosen up after an overnight soak.
    You may need to turn the engine over with the flywheel to get it unstuck.

RC poster
    I forgot to add after you put the oil down the carburetor turn the engine upside down to get the oil onto the bottom of the piston and to coat the bottom end of the engine. this is probably where it is gummed up.

RC Enthusiast
    Well I did put the "after run" lub last night in the carb, chamber, exhaust port. Then this morning put wd40 in the same spots and it is all good. It took some muscle but now it turns freely.

That is something I didn't think about in regards to flipping it so it can get the under side. I will get the piston at TDC and put some stuff through the carb and exhaust port again

RC Enthusiast
    Got the 3.3 to rotate now. .... Just letting them sit lubed up and will start to fix the front end of the jato after the holidays.

RC Champion
    Use a heat gun or hair dryer next time. It will free up easily after a few min

RC Enthusiast
    Well now you tell me.