Thread: Dying an ESC?

RC Champion

Question Dying an ESC?

I'm blacking out my 16th Rally and I intend to Rit dye the ESC and servo. Does anyone know what will happen? The only thing I'm really concerned about is that it will dye the plastic over the LED, but that can be sanded off... probably.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Champion
    Do not try to rit dye the esc. That is NOT a good idea. The only way you could possibly do that is if you took all the lectronics (Circuit board) out of the case and just dyed the case black. To do that you would have to take the esc apart and melt away all the plasti dip stuff that traxxas uses to waterproof stuff. The whole esc is encased in a thick layer of it.
    The servo would be more possible. You could just take out the motor and board and dye the case pretty easily on that.

EDIT: Actually don't do the servo either. The plastic is a lot weaker and will more than likely just melt. I tried dying my ez peak charger casing and it just melted.
    Last edited by upbasher; 12-14-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Champion
    Even though it's waterproof?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasTuesdays View Post
    Even though it's waterproof?
    Water proof, it's not. Water resistance, Yes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The plastic used to make the ESC and servos doesnt dye well... its not the same stuff used to make the chassis and other grey parts. its harder and has a smooth finish. Ive tried to dye similar plastic and it didnt work. It was all blotchy and most of the dye just wiped right off.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Dying the ESC has been tried.
    The individual used RIT and all the "right" precautions... ended up with a fried blue ESC. The plastic did not take on dye and submerging the ESC in hot water is NOT what Traxxas meant by waterproof... aka voided warranty.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    When my VXL-3m was fried I decided to see if the same was possible by actually opening the plastic case, it was very difficult to open but I got it. The electronics looked pretty much glued to the bottom case, I think at best you could dye the top half but like others have said it might not even absorb any color, and to remove the top half of the case you will have to unsolder all of the motor and battery connectors, and remove the plug that goes into the receiver.
    I like turtles.

RC Champion
    Ok thanks. I know about the non-porous plastic... Wasn't sure about the ESC plastic though. I guess I'll have to get a different ESC and servo because blue just isn't going to cut it.

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Maybe you could do something with small cut pieces of black tape or paint? I'm sure that would work on the servo at least.
    Last edited by zball94; 12-15-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Qualifier
    I got black wood stain to dye my servo and ESC. Turned out pretty good. Just dip a rag into the stain and rub it onto the parts. Be sure the wear rubber gloves unless you enjoy having stained hands for several days.
    Slash 4x4 stock
    Slash 4x4 MMP 2400
    KB Fiesta

For the record, you can dye your ESC and it works out well. Have to know how to dye right though. HAS to be right temp and such. That being said, its electronics so.....

But Youtube User DarkEclipticHeart, has done several, and I personally know hes had this VXL ESC dyed for some time now with no issues. It also looks real great, and his decals are perfectly intact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1nH3oUtzYA

But be Weary, and follow his instructions. he mentions doing electronics in his vid. I personally... Just replace the ESC for black
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..