RC Qualifier

Big Bore Shock's rebuilt...

I rebuilt all four Big Bores shocks last night as they were very stiff. The culprit was the O rings (the large disc that lets the oil ease through). Replaced these and the shocks are perfect again.

So it seems the stronger shafts make these the weak point and they deform over time causing excessive friction...

RC Champion
    by" large disc that lets the oil ease through" do you mean the pistons. If you are swapping pistons be careful. Ultra shock pistons are slightly larger diamater than the big bore ones. Everytime I put RPM pistons in a set of big bores I have to sand them down a hair.

There is a bit of an art to shock building. With the big bores you have to make sure all of the stack of spacers, o-rings and shields go into the bottom of the shock straight and true. I always build them with the shaft in the shock. Also Associated's green slime helps to pre-lubricate the o-rings.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 12-14-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    I rebuilt all four Big Bores shocks last night as they were very stiff. The culprit was the O rings (the large disc that lets the oil ease through). Replaced these and the shocks are perfect again.

So it seems the stronger shafts make these the weak point and they deform over time causing excessive friction...
    That is called the "piston."
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Ah yeah the pistons.

I took the ones out of the stocks shocks and used those. They seem to be working much better now.