Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Lipos/Charger Questions...

Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding lipo chargers, and lipos. I've been planning on getting 2 Traxxas nimh 5000mah batterys for my Summit down the road. But, after looking at lipo prices and specs, now I'm not so sure what I want to get. I just found for the same price that 2 Traxxas nimh 5000mah batterys would cost, I can get two SPC 2s 8200mah lipos, for the same price! Wow, that sounds good! Untill I realized I would have to buy a lipo charger... So, what would be a good lipo charger under $120, that would be good enough to help my lipos (If I got lipos) last a long time. I also still want a charger that could almost guarantee that they wouldn't get damaged, puffed, or runined if I used it properly. (<My mom's wishes. )
    I just want to get a good enough charger, so that down the road I won't wish that I got a better one. So want to get a charger that I can be happy with, and enjoy, and get one that would be good for lipos. Thanks! -Wolfslash16
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    My reccomendation in that price range is the Thunderpower TP610C ac/dc
    It has excellent quality charge and balance software and will treat your packs extremely well. It has an 80 watt built in power supply and 10 amps of charging power. So you can charge a 2s pack at a full 10 amps. Your 8000's would take about 50 minutes each to charge. Or, you can get parallel adapters and charge both at the same time in about 1 hour 40 minutes.
    This is the charger I personally use as my travel charger and its been excellent. They go for about $115 shipped on eBay or amazon.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    It is going to be hard to beat Pav's recommendation with that price cap.

The next step I would recommend is a 20amp iCharger 206B for about $125, plus $25ish for a SPS, and $20ish for a ParaBoard.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Ok, looking at the lipo specs, a 2s lipo is 7.4 volts. But, the 7 cell nimh are 8.4, so, wouldn't that make the 2s lipo a downgrade? Just thinking out loud here!

Fully charged voltages are higher.
    LiPo chemistry dips down a lot less than NiMh, and can deliver way more amperage.

If you took two identical RC's and two identical RC drivers, with the only difference being the batteries... in the beginning of the race the NiMh will probably be faster. But, by the end of the first few laps (and sometimes not even that long) they will be neck and neck because the NiMh's voltage has dropped to match the LiPo's voltage. As they continue to race, LiPo's consistent voltage and amperage availability will allow the LiPo powered RC to pull ahead and win, meaning at this time LiPo has the higher voltage and the higher amperage availability. If the track is really twisty and forces the driver to slow down and power out of corners, the superior amperage availability of the LiPo will actually beat out the higher voltage of the NiMh and the LiPo would not fall behind, even in the beginning.
    Also, if you want to take into account weight and dimensions; the same capacity LiPo is probably going to be about half the weight. If you match the weight, the LiPo will be about twice the capacity... meaning that while the NiMh is being charged (and NiMh can only be safely charged one at a time vs LiPo's capability to be safely charged in multiples) the LiPo still has enough capacity to race another heat... or two.

Ok, who knew. Thanks Jimmie!

Oh wait, here's another question... I found that Traxxas makes a 8 cell 9.6 volt nimh, for only $50, so how would that compare to a 2s lipo? I know it won't fit in a Summit chassis, and it would weigh alot, but I'm just asking for curious reasons. Thanks!

It would compare closer to a 3S LiPo...

8 cell NiMh fully charged would be about 12v
    3S LiPo fully charged will be exactly 12.6v

It won't fit so no real reason to contemplate it.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Not to mention 8 cells would be over volting the EVX2 ESC.

Not to mention 8 cells would be over volting the EVX2 ESC.
    It won't fit so no real reason to contemplate it.
    True, didn't think about that last one. I wish they would work in a Summit, that way I wouldn't need to buy a lipo charger!

Yep it's an extra expense but a good one with decent LiPos will make you forget NiXX and last you thru many vehicles.

I wouldn't say NiMh will be forgotten.
    My daughter LOVES 19 volts coursing through the wires of her 12 volt Power Wheels.

3S in parallel on a 6V PW, LVA installed.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Anyone even thinking about NIMH being better than a lipo has clearly never run one. There is no comparison.

A lipo can flow more voltage to the power system when the power system asks for it so you get a truck that, while maybe not as fast at FULL throttle, FEELS faster everywhere else and CAN be geared up a little bit more.

Longer run times, less weight, cheaper prices (these days), faster charging... no comparison. A 2S lipo is better than a 7cell nimh and I would take a 2S lipo over a 9 cell nimh as well... not because of top speed, but overall performance.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    I just got my 2s 8000mah lipos two days ago, and they are bad to the bone. Just make sure you charge them under the lipo setting not the nimh setting if using an onyx charger lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    I went with the Traxxas Ezy Peak 6 charger/dual 2 cell balance board and two Redback 2S 5000mah 30/60C lipo's for my Summit - awesome power and run times! Didn't even use my NIMH's that came with the Summit - sold them right away
    PHOENIX Bandit,Summit,Funny Car,Darkrayne Rustler

Ok, I thought I'd bring this thread back up because I've got more questions... I've been looking at getting a lipo charger for some time now, and I think it's time to get one because my nimh chrager is starting to give up the ghost. I still need a nimh charger because I have 6 nimh packs, but I want to get one that does lipos, and one that is cheap. After looking around, I've decided to get the Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus 6amp Charger. It's only $100, it charges nimh and lipo, and it does everything you need for lipos! Now, here comes the questions... (Bear with me here) 1. I plan on getting two SPC 8200mah 2s lipos to use in my Summit, about how long of run time would that give me? 2. How long would it take to charge both of them (At the same time, or separatly), and what it the best amp current setting to charge them at? 3. What is the guide lines to maintaining/owning a lipo? How often to balance them, when to cycle them, when to put them in storage mode, and/or anything that will make them last longer, and be safe. I need to care for them in the safest way possible, my mom is TERRIFIED that I'll blow one up or something like that. Thanks for all the help guys! -Wolfslash16

1) 1.5-2 hours (minimum)
    2) To charge both at the same time from LVC about 130 minutes; from storage about 70 minutes.
    To charge one at a time about half of the figures above.
    3) Balance every charge, they don't need cycling, storage voltage if unused for more than a day. It has been proven if they are only charged to 4.10/cell that the amount of life cycles can nearly double. As long as you do not puncture or abuse the pack, chances are very extremely slim that they will catch fire or vent.

BTW:
    The 10 amp iCharger 106 can charge LiFe, LiPo, LiOn, NiMh, NiCd, and lead-acid... costs $90. Reduces charge time to 80 minutes for both 8200mAh batteries... that is 50 minutes faster. But, you will need a power supply... this one is easily converted without soldering for $11 shipped to your door.
    I am not trying to change your mind... just making sure you know of all the options.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 01-02-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Dang.........Jimmy did it. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 01-02-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Ok, thanks Jimmie! Thanks what I was looking for! I'll probally still get the Traxxas one because I trust their products, but thanks for your opinion! Do you have a link(s) to where I could buy one? Thanks!

Buy the Traxxas? or the iCharger?

There is nothing not to trust about iCharger...

I use a icharger as well quality is good.
    But the separate p/s may be scaring you off.it shouldn't it is the same as a plug in the wall charger.just the supply is outside of the charger instead of crammed into the charger box.

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 01-02-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    It is going to be hard to beat Pav's recommendation with that price cap.

The next step I would recommend is a 20amp iCharger 206B for about $125, plus $25ish for a SPS, and $20ish for a ParaBoard.
    I just got my iCharger 206B from Progressive RC SHIPPED to the US for $124.99 and it came with a free board, stickers, and a LIFE SAVER candy! LOL. Brilliant idea, Progressive It arrived in 3 days.

My truck comes TOMORROW but the power supply wont be here until the next day! Can I use my car battery to power the charger?

That may be so, but it is also above his previous price cap of $125 after the power supply is figured into the mix.

Yes, you can use your car battery to power the charger... just set the low limit high enough so your car still starts!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    That may be so, but it is also above his previous price cap of $125 after the power supply is figured into the mix.

Yes, you can use your car battery to power the charger... just set the low limit high enough so your car still starts!
    Thanks, Jimmy!

Ok guys, one last question! Are SPC lipos any good? Any one have any good/bad experinces with them? These are the two lipos I plan on getting. http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=153 I know they won't fit without cutting the battery vents, like in this thread... http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...LiPo-batteries Any info it missed? Also, do you need to do anything special when you get a lipo? Like charge it, then drain it a few times before use? Sorry if that's a nOOb question, but I really don't want to do somthing worng. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 01-03-2013 at 07:41 AM.

I have yet to read even one bad experience with SPC.

LiPo's should come at storage voltage. Some perform a break in the first few cycles by taking it easy... no full throttle instant pulls and so forth. Others charge, drop them in, and go. What you do is up to you... either way is not going to hurt them.

Spc for the 2+ hours of low speed crawling climbing ....Very very happy with them

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    ... I know they won't fit without cutting the battery vents
    Many times a battery pack does fit into the Summit and just needs a little thought and extra effort to wiggle the wires in or at the most, slightly widen the notch where the wires exit the battery bay. In the case of the Summit and regardless of the battery type, some people prefer to open up the rear battery bay vents and pass the wires out through that opening, however it rarely required.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Many times a battery pack does fit into the Summit and just needs a little thought and extra effort to wiggle the wires in or at the most, slightly widen the notch where the wires exit the battery bay. In the case of the Summit and regardless of the battery type, some people prefer to open up the rear battery bay vents and pass the wires out through that opening, however it rarely required.
    What he said. If you do open up the vents, don't bother leaving any of the fins in place. Just take them all out.

I prefer them through the vent.keeps the wires inboard and out of harms way.A bit more protection for the wires

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    The batteries that I got have to go through the battery bay vents. The wires come out of the pack vertically on one side of the pack, not parallel to the pack like others I have seen, so there was no way I could possibly get the wires though the stock wire slots. Not a big deal though and I'm not worried about anything getting in the battery bay because I run the Dusty Covers anyway

To be blunt, I have the same packs and I never considered it necessary to run the wires through the vents. I have run them the standard way, opening up the gaps for the wires a little. I have run the left one with the wires coming out of the front of the battery bay by creating a mirror image of the stock wire passage in the rear. And I now run them through the vents. I do like it better but the "have" to is IMO an overstatement.

RC Qualifier
    I see you guys were talking about the iCharger, and with the separate power supply that plugs into the wall, how does that connect to the actual charger? Which power supply would you recommend, and how much does it cost?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Well icharger 206b is 125 shipped then a power supply can be bought for cheap and do the work your self for about 20-30 for that so about 150 maybe. EBay has some psu.'s for about 40 ready to go. The more amps the better on the PSU
    DEU 8:18 ESV

iChargers have 4mm banana connectors. The power supply should have banana sockets.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    To be blunt, I have the same packs and I never considered it necessary to run the wires through the vents. I have run them the standard way, opening up the gaps for the wires a little. I have run the left one with the wires coming out of the front of the battery bay by creating a mirror image of the stock wire passage in the rear. And I now run them through the vents. I do like it better but the "have" to is IMO an overstatement.
    I can post pictures. I do not want to bend the wires that come off the battery pack. I would have to bend them 90* and I just don't see how that could be good for the pack. I don't know what packs you have, but these will not go through the stock opening on the right side of the truck.

RC Competitor
    at first I thought my SPC 8200's were too big and not wired properly but I was wrong. It just takes a little bit of finesse and you can gently manipulate the wires a bit. I have no problems getting mine in, I only remove the top plastic spacer and have made no modifications. I just ran them for at least two hours, just crawling around with occasional bursts in 2nd gear. AMAZING!

Slight update: 4 days ago I bought the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus 6 amp charger for $100! So far it's been great! Execpt the fact I found a bad cell on one of my batterys, it's been great. I'm hoping I can order 2 SPC 2s 8200 lipos tonight!!