RC Racer

loosening slipper

I've got a Summit running dual Kershaw DeWalts, HR steel spur gear and heavy duty slipper. I was recently running around the back yard when I lost all grip in the slipper. The locknut on the slipper had screwed itself all the way out to the end. So, I tighten it back up, drive 20 feet and it wound right back out again. Ok, replaced with a new lock nut....still doing it. Added a washer between the spring and the nut as well as a new bearing at the other end of the spring. No luck.

Any ideas?

Also, I have almost a full rotation of the spur gear worth of play, is that normal? Is it time to rebuild my gears?

The play is normal... there are a few threads on how to eliminate the play. It is actually the design of the transmission gearing that causes the amount of play.

How about lock tight on the slipper nut?
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    I figured you'd be the one to respond Jimmie!
    I thought about it, but if something is actually wrong, I'm just putting a band aid on it. I've had this for about a year and it's the first time this is happening.

I am not sure what is the cause... I wonder if the threads are stretched or something?? I know steel spurs are hard on equipment... but I have not heard of this happening - at least not with a solution.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

I have experienced this problem with my eRevo a fair bit...exactly as you are describing. Twice in 1 year.

I ended up replacing with a new heavy duty slipper kit and the problem went away...IDK; there didn't look like there was much wear on the pads and slipper plate but was worn.

I think what was happening to mine was that from the wear on the pads and plate, this causing the slipper too slip more than allowed. Because of this everything around in that area started to heat up hence the nut unwinding itself...that's JMO, you may need a new heavy duty slipper kit.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Try using 2 luck nuts. Tighten one like normal to where you want it then snug the next one up against the first. The second nut should stop the first from moving. Use new lock nuts.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Racer
    Good idea. I'll give that a shot today before I spend the money on a new slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Try using 2 luck nuts. Tighten one like normal to where you want it then snug the next one up against the first. The second nut should stop the first from moving. Use new lock nuts.
    I tried that...I had no luck...their wasn't enough thread to get the 2nd lock nut on all the way...maybe I should of tried a washer and spring washer. I will try next time this happens.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    I have experienced this problem with my eRevo a fair bit...exactly as you are describing. Twice in 1 year.

I ended up replacing with a new heavy duty slipper kit and the problem went away...IDK; there didn't look like there was much wear on the pads and slipper plate but was worn.

I think what was happening to mine was that from the wear on the pads and plate, this causing the slipper too slip more than allowed. Because of this everything around in that area started to heat up hence the nut unwinding itself...that's JMO, you may need a new heavy duty slipper kit.
    +1. I had this happen on two of my summits and tried everything to stop it so I ended up spending the 7 bucks on a new clutch and the problem went away.
    _______^_
    /______l__\____
    l_l O l_____l O l

RC Racer
    The second nut was a good temporary fix but I wasn't comfortable with it. I ended up getting the Robinson Racing e-Revo slipper. It eliminates the spring alltogether and seems a lot more solid than stock. Had to get two new RR pinions too as my LHS mentioned that the RR spurs tend to shred most pinions unless you match theirs up.