RC poster

HELP Tmaxx has been sitting! engine wont turn over?!

Hey so the tmaxx has been sitting for about 1-2 years and no i didn't do any after run or anything before it sat... i know thats bad. There is still some gummed up fuel in there. The ez start will try and turn the motor it turns the electric motor just a little bit not the whole was around. When i try to spin the fly wheel by hand or screw driver it wont budge at all. so i took the engine apart and used some WD40 in the glo plug hole and am letting it sit for a bit. anything else i should do??
    Thanks guys im new to this

RC Enthusiast
    I just went through this with my .15 engine. submerged the entire engine in DENATURED alcohol for a few days and then turned the crank nut with a 4" adjustable prob. with about 10-15 ft. lbs. of force and it turned. (plug out obviously) probably a good idea to tear it down to components and flush everything out just to be sure. while you're in there you can check bearings and lubricate for startup...just me .02

RC Enthusiast
    p.s. by crank nut I mean the back side of the motor with the ez start off. mine was an 8mm I believe.

RC Qualifier
    Take it all part i like wd 40 to live everything when I put it back together but i would clean everything with brake clean seems to work well also if you let the crankcase sit overnight In like penetrating oil it will help the bearing and you can blow out if needed and always keep after run oil or wd 40 in it when the truck sits

RC Enthusiast
    you don't have to take it all apart for it to run, but for it to run and last it's the best bet. x2 on the penetrating oil, too or atleast the denatured alchohol seems to cut through the glue that the old fuel has turned into. let it soak, then hit it with some q tips and a toothbrush, not a wirebrush and get all the old gunk out. brakeleen is good too but is a caustic so be careful with the bearing seals and any rubber orings in the carb. once everything is clean blow it out real good witha compressor to get rid of any loose debris. repeat if necessary. On the traxxas website under the original owner's manual pdf there is a walkthrough on how to disassemble/reassemble the entire motor with parts schematic if you need help. Just did this, not a big deal and I'm no mechanic but these things are actually pretty simple to take down and reassemble.

RC poster
    I cant find denatured alchohol anywhere does it have a different name? i have heard soaking it in a solvent can work as well.. is Mineral sprites a good solvent to use i have some of that in my house? im currently using WD40 and spraying it and letting it sit, the engine is out of the truck now, after hrs of WD40 i still can not turn the engine over by the silver crank gear.
    WWhats do you think?
    Thank you

Any local hardware store should have it.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UMrbK3exnc8
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    pull the plug n pour a little marvel mystery oil in there should do the trick

RC Enthusiast
    not sure about the mineral spirits but IDK. as far as I know denatured alcohol is called just that. there is also a product we use in the refineries a lot to loosen frozen bolts called Kroil and that would work real good too because it gets into really tight spaces and have used it on frozen lawnmower engines and such to free them up. try walmart for any of this stuff?

DO NOT USE MINERAL SPIRITS..... WD-40 and Denatured or Marvel Mystery Oil, even using nitro fuel is OK but not preferred... But mineral spirits are not good on O-rings or the bearing spacers inside the engine bearings.... Bad stuff for internal engines... Fine for paint brushes....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Competitor
    just put wd40 or something like it whenever u get the chance my dad had to do this to his 2 2.5's cause they sat for like 4 years and try turning it over with a pull start rather than by hand

RC Racer
    Remove the glow plug. Wrap the flywheel with a rag. Take a pair of channel locks and gently rotate the flywheel back and forth. If this doesn't work. You have bigger problems.

RC Enthusiast
    if you never ceased the motor it's just gunked up... let it soak and be patient.