RC Qualifier

Help with chargers and Batteries...NIMH and Lipo charges..

Hi all,

I have a GT power RC charger (cheap and nasty I imagine, maybe part of the issue), i've only used it a few time now and ive read the manual several times but cant figure it out. I am unsure if Im doing it right or if I am messing it up..

I charged my 7cell, 3000Mah 8.4v traxxas batteries yesterday and I charged them at either 2or3 amps and they charged ok (took around 1hr got warm but not anything too much)... I got home and ran them, I then recharged at home and it would not allow me to charge them above 1.7amps (took around 2hrs), today I baught 2 differant ones (same 8.4 7c 3000mah trx batts) into work to charge and they will only charge at 1.2 amps (it stopped after25mins and said it was full). If I try to charge them at any higher amps it gives me an error message saying the input power drops below limit?

Why does the amps it will allow me to charge at change?

Q.2, I also have a pair of LiPo's, Team orion 3c 11.1v 45C 4500Mah batteries which I am changing to run parallel, (series is too much), and would like to charge any advice welcome... cheers..

any simple explanations would be much appreciated....
    Last edited by RevoDeano; 12-13-2012 at 02:31 AM.

RC Champion
    This is a non traxxas product so i would get a hold or the charger manufacturer .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    I am trying to establish if this is normal in all chargers or what... its the first time owning/using a digital type charger like this and wasn't sure if they all do this, if its normal or any sort of feedback really...

Do traxxas sell chargers other then those for the hump packs for nitro?

RC Champion
    Yes Traxxas sales chargers for all there batteries , That means Nicd/Nimh/Lipo's . 6-8 cell Nimh . up to 3s Lipos .These are all in one chargers .
    1 Rusty VXL

If your GT Power charger has a power supply built-in, it is most likely the culprit provided no settings have been changed. The Traxxas batteries should really not be the problem. There is no one cell getting hotter than the others when charging, is there?

The Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus, 6amp, LiPo, NiMH fast charger ($100, free shipping) is the best Traxxas charger for your applcation.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-14-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    I agree with ksb51rl, the problem is most likely your power source. Your power source is not providing enough power to charge at a higher rate.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    makes sense, I can charge them at around 1.3A, so I think its reasonable considering its a cheapish charger... Im in uk so getting traxxas products other then small parts/spares tends to be pretty expensive.. I had similar issues with fuel in my Nitro revo, I wanted to use traxxas fuel but cant get it in the uk.

its better to charge them slower anyway isn't it? someone told me that the slower the better and it seems to be taking around 60 minute-90minutes each to charge them.. I was a little worried as the Lipo's I have a larger and I thought I would end up having to take a day to charge both..