Hybrid View

RC Competitor

Break in questions?

What is the coolest outside temp that would be safe to break in a 3.3?Also the coolest temp it should be ran in after broke in?

RC Competitor
    i dont like running mine if its below 40 out. especially breaking in. wrap a baby sock around the head to keep ur temps above 200. but keep an eye on temps. if the temps start climbing then just start pulling the sock or whatever u use up the head to expose it. u dont want to lean out the mixture while breaking in. u want it rich when breaking in. factory settings on carb should be good enuff. might have to richen HSN a lil bit. but i know guys that run colder temps out then that. i just say below 40 cuz its too cold for me. lol.
    revo 3.3 tmaxx 3.3 ofna hyper 7

Some run them in the dead of winter. If you do break-in, read the manual on how to do it for winter. You'll need to cover the head to keep the temps up.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I've heard of wrapping the head,sound like a good idea.I was just wondering if temps in the 40's(like now)would be ok.Just don't want to ruin it quick if i do use it!

RC Champion
    you stand a better chance of ruining your engine in cold temps (especially during break in).. if you are new to it and can't wait.. then try it with the advise given.. i usually don't break in my engines in temps less than 60...
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

RC Champion
    If you're able to wrap the head and keep it running at proper temps you should keep it running through the entire process.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Qualifier
    Living in UK our weather is normally cold and wet, so I would usually run the truck in weather around 60F,
    I use a sock around the head... you can use cardboard or whatever you have to insulate it to keep it warmer, the idea is during break in you get the motor up to the correct temps to ensure a nice snug fit for piston to sleeve, if you dont get it up to temp you may find you will prematurely wear the sleeve/piston. after running it get in into the house(warm) asap to ensure the motor doesn't cool to rapidly, I also used a hair dryer/blower to heat the motor before trying to start for the first few times during break in as my piston/sleeve where so tight the ez start wouldn't crank it.. its a pain and can be a bit of a task to break in correctly in the cold so recomend waiting if possible
    read the handbook and break in proceedure and it does give advice about how to break in in cold weather, although again not recomended... I am sure if I remember right you can also run a little leaner? to increase temps... maybe richer cant recall now.. but you get the idea..
    Last edited by RevoDeano; 12-15-2012 at 09:30 AM.

RC Champion
    Rich and 200 is all you need to achieve during break-in, which is not always easy to do. Other than that, make sure you don't rev it out until it's fully broken in.
    The instructions in the manual are very basic and only enough for Traxxas to "cover their behind".
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum