RC Qualifier

2.8'' beadlock aluminum wheel

Hi guys!
    I was searching in the web for 2.8'' beadlock wheel, but I was sad to find none. This is the only thing I found: Motorworx Racing wheel. They are very expensive wheel, said to fit traxxas jato. I didn't find any review about aluminum wheel, I have no idea how they could perfom. The only thing I heard was that many person prefer beadlock over glued wheel.
    So, I have the money, I'm a bit a compulsive buyer, I bought them.
    Here's a bunch of picture of the installation in Trencher tire:

They have the weight reducing channel

It wasn't too easy to insert them with the foam...

So, the tire (if I have the good one) is supposed to be between the disc and the wheel.

Making sure the rubber isn't squeezed under the disc

Now, 80 screw in total! (10 each beadlock)

Final result:

My first impression is that they look great and the tire seem to be held in place pretty good. The rubber can still be removed from the beadlock if you pull hard. They are a bit heavy (about 2x heavier than plastic wheel.)

I will test them on my stampede tomorrow, I'm gonna tell you how it goes. More pic coming!!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-12-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    Motorworx makes very good wheels, but two things to watch for: first you increased the rotating mass of the wheels by quite a bit. You motor now has to work harder and awkward landings may cause more damage. Second, beadlocks typically can't hold up to big power, but these being aluminum, they might be okay since you can get the bead locked down better than plastic bead locks.

Good luck. They look awesome.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    They look amazing!
    You should not be able to pull the tires out by hand...
    Make sure you use thread lock on all 80 (Jeezzz!) of those screws!

Hope you ordered 4 rear jato rims, as the fronts have the bearings mounted in the wheel.

I want them more, every time I scroll back up to your pics lol...
    Unfortunately, they only seem to come with 2 12mm hex and 2 front bearing type. I think the price is right, but only if they offer all 4 rims with the hex drive...

1 wheel weighs 11.5 oz. Thats about 3x the weight of a stocker. Def gear down 2 teeth and re adjust your slipper.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-12-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: post merge
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    1 wheel weighs 11.5 oz. Thats about 3x the weight of a stocker. Def gear down 2 teeth and re adjust your slipper.
    I think 11.5 oz is for wheel without weight reducing channel...
    Also, if you buy from their website, you can choose between 2 hex and 2 bearing OR 4 hex. I agree the price is right, I found on other website and on eBay for 150$ + 50$ for weight reducing channel + 40$ shipping to Canada... I paid 138$ for everything!
    I have the 2400kv combo, so I think it can handle it easily

RC Qualifier
    My opinion....Waste of time. I'd put bead locks on my Crawler but not on a basher.

They look so good man but they are way out of my price range but i have 3 kids and cant believe how heavy they are thats going to put some strain on your drivetrain no matter what motor combo you are running and remember weight kills speed man..peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Those do look great!!!!

I hope they dont hurt performance too much. I had some heavy bead locks on my MERV and they looked and worked really well but man the weight of them really hurt the performance, so much so I ditched them
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    About the weight, they're 7oz (200g) each
    versus weight of a plastic wheel = 3-4oz (85-115g)

That's about 50% heavier than plastic one... With the trencher on, that's 12.5 oz each wheel. 3 pound in total versus about 2 pound for trencher mount on desperado
    Conclusion: you add about 1 pound of weight on your RC for going with these aluminum wheel

Just make sure you give them a review after a few runs to tell us what you think dude ....peace

RC Qualifier
    I thought of going this route for bashing with the dog, as he likes to catch it by biting on the tires and sometimes I have to do a little repair/reglue. With the $$ penalty and weight penalty, I'm glad I stuck with my Revolvers. They hold up much better than the Desperados or stock wheels as far as not cracking and staying round. I've finally got the traction and power where it needs to be to out accelerate him from a standing start (unless he's too close to start with and the tires spin too much) so I don't want to take any steps backward. They do look cool though!

RC Qualifier
    So, I'm installing them on my p4de rear wheel.
    I did a ballooning test and it gave weird result:
    Reference test, low speed no balloning

Medium speed, ''squared'' ballooning?

High speed, weirdest ballooning....

It seems that these wheel are made for crawling, not for bashing and high speed :-(

Ok guys, I just saw a major problem that makes them incompatible with the stampede 4X4:

This pic explain it all, front link rubs the wheel and makes the steering impossible. That's it. I'm glad I saw this before they have been used, I will be able to sell them as new, or try a refund with the seller...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-12-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: post merge

That sucks dude i really hoped they would work for you man ....peace

RC Qualifier
    Yes that suck, I'm sad but I happy too because I was worried about the weight and the ballooning, this is how the truck would look if they would fit:

What I learned from this experience: Alumuminum beadlock wheel are good for crawling, not for speed or bashing. They will add about 1-1.5 pound of weight in your RC, so make sure your setup can handle the extra weight.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    What about adding wheel extensions? That would push the wheels away from the c-blocks and carriers.

Wheel Extensions

Just an idea, hope it helps. Any questions PM baldy he is running a set, just not sure which ones.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    What about adding wheel extensions? That would push the wheels away from the c-blocks and carriers.

Wheel Extensions

Just an idea, hope it helps. Any questions PM baldy he is running a set, just not sure which ones.
    I'm pretty sure this can solve the problem, but finally, I don't want them anymore!

Undertand. Was trying to help you keep that awesome look'n setup. Maybe for a crawler later on where weight for traction is needed?
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

boys you know weight kills speed and that will not do...peace

Dig, I would be afraid to add that much weight out so far. I am a fanboy of wheel extensions, but not with all that weight out so far...

If these rims would fit the front carriers, they would be perfect for my pede 4x4 build. Those extensions are 25mm per side or 25mm total width extension? If its a 1/2 inch per side, I think I could make it work for my truck...

To the op, if for some reason they wont let you return them, pm me...

Ok, what if...

You used an alum c-block, cut off the red portion, used a thinner profile hollow ball, and blam! they could work.

The ballooning could be taken care of with taping?

You could also grind a little off of the beadlock ring also for more clearance... Dont give up!

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Dig, I would be afraid to add that much weight out so far. I am a fanboy of wheel extensions, but not with all that weight out so far...

If these rims would fit the front carriers, they would be perfect for my pede 4x4 build. Those extensions are 25mm per side or 25mm total width extension? If its a 1/2 inch per side, I think I could make it work for my truck...

To the op, if for some reason they wont let you return them, pm me...
    Very true. I know baldy runs some big treads and wheels out that far. But like you said the weight is the killer. 25mm = nearly 1". They are actually considered 1" extensions. LOL

Its a shame they werent 17mm because you could use adapters and those would move the wheel away from the c-block/carrier.

Like rag6 noted you could upgrade to alloy c-blocks and grind the outer portion and bolt the rod end/ ball to the inner c-block. Being alloy this would hold very well vs plastic. Also use CS fasteners vs SS, they are stronger. On the tires use double sided carpet tape. It works wonders to keep them from ballooning. You can get a little creative and make them work.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Diggers right man dont give up your combo is more than strong enough and your pede will so boss with them wheels.....peace

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure than I could make them fit. But I think I changed my mind on aluminum wheel, they won't fit the type of driving I have. I mean, I like to bash, high speed run, drift. The brushless motor and the whole stampede isn't great for crawling, which these wheels seems good for.
    I saw an opportunity to sell them on eBay more expensive than I paid. 200$ for those?!?! I paid 125$!!

RC Qualifier
    hpi makes a hex extension (generally used for the wheely kings) i tried to mount hpi wheely king tires to my slash, didn't fit... was about to sell them and came across those hex adapters- (and they are alloy too!) link to what im talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Wheely-K...item3a553ce719 im sure they're are better deals of this adapter, it was the first ones that i saw, so i posted them for the picture reference
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

Now those are ½" per side, and would be much better than the 1" extensions...

Do the wheel pins and everything else line up correctly?

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanhello View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure than I could make them fit. But I think I changed my mind on aluminum wheel, they won't fit the type of driving I have. I mean, I like to bash, high speed run, drift. The brushless motor and the whole stampede isn't great for crawling, which these wheels seems good for.
    I saw an opportunity to sell them on eBay more expensive than I paid. 200$ for those?!?! I paid 125$!!
    Yeah, i cant see those aluminum wheels looking too good after some hard bashing.
    The price is jacked way up because those wheels are on backorder right now. Better sell em while they are still a hot commodity!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    Sold them on ebay for 163$!!! and I paid 134$!!

RC Qualifier
    Win!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The simple solution is to remove that small piece of plastic and use the lower mounting hole....

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Qualifier
    that's it guys... Thanks for your help, I'm sure I could make them fit, but I preferred to get rid of them.
    It's nice to try new things, but it's awesome to make money for trying them

Here's what I learned from this: Aluminum wheels are beautiful but will add much weight to your RC, so it's preferable to have them for crawling. The beadlock is awesome, way better than gluing and I'm sad that there's no any affordable 2.8'' beadlock wheels.

RC poster
    was interested in some 2.8 aluminum beadlocks and found that the 2.8 motoworx wheels have redesigned their 2.8s addressing the issues discussed above. They are way lighter and allow a lot more clearance for the linkage. They also use the slw adjustable hubs. Definitely worth checking out.

RC Qualifier
    Looks good as long as you stay away from trees and curbs.

Sent from my phone.

And even better if they stay away from my wallet too at $160 for four.......peace
    Last edited by spenniepoos; 08-05-2013 at 02:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Aluminum is pretty strong, I wouldn't be so afraid of trees and curbs, but if they break, ouch! Right in the wallet!
    They definitely look awesome!
    ... for the fun of excess!

I am sure I could find something to put those on...

Me too dude if my bank account would let me but I will stick with my desperados and trencher combo and one I will get round to using my dirt hawgs..........peace

Spencer