RC Qualifier

Fans and Heatsinks Needed?

I am not running Lipos and the body allows air movement. Seems fans would not be needed and just get dirt and debris and then fail?

RC Competitor
    i ran heatsink wit fan and still burnt the motor on stock batt,traxxas said i must be a good driver when sent in for warrty

RC Qualifier
    If you're not running lipo, don't worry, be happy! Everything's safe. Motor won't burn from the heat.

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanhello View Post
    If you're not running lipo, don't worry, be happy! Everything's safe. Motor won't burn from the heat.
    That's balogne. Just because he doesn't run lipo doesn't mean he's suddenly invincible. I guarantee that if he were to drive it through tall grass in a jerky manner, the motor would overheat (assuming the battery doesn't blow up first)

garywi - Get a temperature gun. If the temps get over 180*F, stop driving and gear down.

http://www.duratrax.com/accessories/nitro/dtxp3100.html
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

I always put a heatsink with a single fan on all of my rc's! Its cheap insurance against overheating a motor
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

Yes take note from the guys always run the vxl fan on the esc and a single fan on your motor just to be safe and even put some vent holes in the body because the cooler you keep your stuff the better it will run....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zball94 View Post
    That's balogne. Just because he doesn't run lipo doesn't mean he's suddenly invincible. I guarantee that if he were to drive it through tall grass in a jerky manner, the motor would overheat (assuming the battery doesn't blow up first)

garywi - Get a temperature gun. If the temps get over 180*F, stop driving and gear down.

Yes... ermh... I mean: you are not safe at all, put some fan.
    Lol sorry for false information... When I was on nimh, battery was hotter than everything else so I thought...
    Last edited by emmanhello; 12-12-2012 at 09:30 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Yes... ermh... I mean: you are not safe at all, put some fan.
    Lol sorry for false information... When I was on nimh, battery was hotter than everything else so I thought...
    You definately need good cooling if you're going to run hard. I burned up motors and ESC's on NiMH before I got a motor heat sink and ESC fan. Those batteries get really hot. I recently switched to Lipos, and they just get warm, but I'm going to upgrade to the twin fans w/ motor heat sink combo I've got on order which is due in tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

Rob what brand of twin fan are you getting and how much did it set you back?...peace

RC Qualifier
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

those fans will keep your motor happy just make sure you use the battery slot from the receiver and not the esc hope that helps...peace

RC Qualifier
    what about the single integy fan, can i plug that into the esc
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Rob what brand of twin fan are you getting and how much did it set you back?...peace
    It's the IntegyT8534 that should arrive today and cost $15.58 on ebay including the shipping. They're readily available in several colors for the heat sink on ebay. Fans are clear plastic housings & blades.

Nice man that will help your motor stay nice and cool are you going to run it from your receiver so it does not overload your esc ..peace

RC Qualifier
    Hi, I ordered an Integy fan for my Rally and Stampede. Of course it comes with a two pin connector which will not go into reciever. What adapter do I need to plug into the receivers..

RC Qualifier
    heat sink can handle all conditions
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Nice man that will help your motor stay nice and cool are you going to run it from your receiver so it does not overload your esc ..peace
    Ran it today on a 3S Lipo 4000Mah all the way out and the motor stayed much cooler. I soldered up a harness to tie it in with my ESC fan, because I've already got a 4 light set and glitch buster plugged into the receiver. The ESC handled it with no problem as they're rated for 2.5A @ 6V. I would recommend this setup if you run hard. Before I put it in I got a motor so hot the rotor broke and was spinning without even turning the pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by atclauss View Post
    YES!! It made a big difference in motor temp. The ESC easily handle these (and the ESC fan and the Traxxas light kit) as it's capable of 2.5A @ 6V.

Good man i am glad it made a differance to your motor it pays to make a good purchase for your truck...peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by f687s View Post
    heat sink can handle all conditions
    I've got two burned up motors that say otherwise!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by garywi View Post
    Hi, I ordered an Integy fan for my Rally and Stampede. Of course it comes with a two pin connector which will not go into reciever. What adapter do I need to plug into the receivers..
    They should have a pigtail with a standard servo type male plug at your local LHS if you want to go that route.
    No advantage to it though, as all the 6V BEC power has to come from the ESC anyway so it doesn't make any difference which end you plug it into.

RC poster
    I recommend gearing down to a 9T pinion, adding an integy motor/fan heatsink, vxl fan, and a dual fan wiring harness to keep everything cool.

The Integy fan can be found on ebay as well as the VXL fan & 9T pinion.

Here is a link to the dual fan harness:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150971114274...84.m1555.l2649

I ran 9-13t pinion when i had the vxl system in place and ran fans on the esc and motor but also put vent holes in the windshield just to let max cool air flow to my system and it worked so well on 2s and 3s running it very hard on all types of surfaces.......peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zball94 View Post

I run 3S Lipo on a short track with 13/54 gearing. I've got the Traxxas fan on the ESC and Dual Integy fans w/heatsinks on the motor. After a pack the motor is at 148 and the ESC at 86. This is the best cooling setup I've found so far after experimentation to end failing motors and ESC's before getting the extra cooling. I think I've found it!

And if you dont mind your bodyshell looking a bit mad max put holes in the windshield so it gives the fans all the cool air they need to help drop temps..peace