RC poster

Getting my mini Slash home for Afghanistan...

Hey guys, new to the forum and Traxxas... been into RC since my old RC10T back in the day. I have a question for some of the folks I've seen on here that have had thier vehicles overseas. Were there any issues with getting your RC home on re-deployment? I figure that Lipo's would be a problem, but anything else? I bought a mini Slash out here, love the thing to death (I went mini because of portability), and spend many after-shift hours winding down from the day on our little volleyball court making all kinds of a mess. Since I can't drive my Camaro out here, gotta get my speed jones somewhere... Anyway, any help you guys could give would be appreciated. I don't leave for a bit yet, just worried about running into issues going home.

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the forum!! These guys will guide you in the rite way!! Thank you for serving us, not many people appreciate it, but I do, I'm 14, and these guys help me all the time. Wish you the best of luck!
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    RC lipos fit into the same category as AA batteries. You can carry them with you but should not check them in your baggage. YOu can carry as many as you like. THere are limitations on batteries when they get larger... but no 1/10 or 1/16 RC battery is above the threshold. I brought 8 2S lipos back with me from Myrtle Beach (to canada, so it was international) and the guy at security at the airport just took a look at them... that was it.

The car itself wlll be no problem. Just put it in your bag. But dont fear flying with lipos. They are considered in the same category as batteries for your camera or laptop... or headphones for that matter.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies! Atclauss, I appreciate it... it's good to see young people that appreciate service members, gives me hope for the future! Pavementsurfer, thanks for the info. I had also heard that customs can be **** about how clean the truck is, with Afghan dust carrying God-knows-what, any truth to this? I know from my last two deployments (to Iraq) that the customs guys like to be VERY thorough.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I know even when I travel between the US and canada with my ATVs they dont like it when the bikes are dirty. If you give the truck a good clean up (if its mostly stock its waterproof remember) it should be fine. Plus, it will be in your checked luggage so you wont have to answer for it directly. Ive never had a dirty item cause issues.

My cleaning routing for a dirty truck is to remove any non waterproof components. Spray with a soap mixture (I use Spray 9) and hose it off. Then dry it with compressed air. Not sure if you have access to stuff like that but generally once im done the truck looks brand new.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I always wondered what servicemen carried in those big green dufflebags. Apparently RC equipment. Lol.

Welcome to the forum soldier!!!
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    As many times as it's been on it's lid, and the rocks I've driven through a couple times, it will never again look brand new LOL.

Usually my cleaning consists of canned air, with a dry toothbrush for the stubborn stuff... and a wet wipe for the body... I'm still a lil wary on the waterproof thing. But it will prob get taken apart and deep cleaned before I pack up and go.

As far as how I got it here, I bought it online and had it shipped. Just not very trusting of the mail getting it home. I was mainly worried about a customs agent (we get all our stuff searched on the way home) taking my new favorite toy...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by atclauss View Post
    Welcome to the forum!! These guys will guide you in the rite way!! Thank you for serving us, not many people appreciate it, but I do, I'm 14, and these guys help me all the time. Wish you the best of luck!
    Many thanks for what you guys do.
    Matthew 7:7

RC poster
    we arent allowed to send ANY batteries back luggage, mail or even toughbox :/

RC poster
    im new as well
    im 12 years old and dont know a lot about rc cars
    can sombody tell me if bringing my hobbypeople sandstorm to glamis sand dunes is a good idea
    thanks

RC Champion
    You may want to look into it a little more, for a while now but not long i havent been able to get Lipo's shipped into canada from the States, i read up on it and they are in a different class then AA batteries now.

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    Thanks for your service, I'm 13 so I don't know much about getting it back here, though.