Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Photobucket has that ability

Sent using lipo power

Thank you, I just signed up, and they also have an app for my droid razer, nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    So does Facebook... I upload my pics and videos to a locked (meaning only I can see it, or people I give the link to) folder and then after it is uploaded; you view the picture, right click, and select "copy image location". At this point you come back to the forum and select the third icon from the right; the one that says "image" when you hover over it, and paste your image location into the box in the popup, then click "ok". Then the picture will be shown like this:

More information:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...sting-Tutorial
    Thank you for the info, I dont use facebook, wifey and I decided we wanted to close that door. To many relationships in trouble because people dont know how to act on FB

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Amen to that brother. Shut down facebook about 3 years ago and dont miss it one bit. I realized how narcissistic I was becoming. Always updating my status and posting pictures of myself. It was all about me and the truth is, the world doesnt need to know that much about me.

If the climb requires actual crawling, youll win. If it simply requires a fast approach and alot of throttle, you may still win but dont be afraid to use high gear with the diffs unlocked and just run at it. Ive got a bunch of spots I run at, bit and and rock walls and stuff. Its fun to take a fast run at a steep incline and see how far you can go. You often end up barrel rolling down the other side... but its fun non the less. Do whatever you have to do to beat him. The summit is better in the real world than any muggy any day.

Heres an example of where the summit is most at home:

Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 12-13-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

But notice that pav is using YouTube there. It's a bit of a pain to have two accounts but the truth of the matter is that photobucket compresses the heck out of videos and can't come close to rivaling the quality of YouTube videos.
    However, wanna talk about people behaving badly? Check YouTube comments. That's a whole other discussion though.
    My advice: practice and CHEAT like there's no tomorrow. Especially make sure the uphill portion is too slippery for a mountain goat wearing crampons and carrying a winch. You should still do okay. Anything without locking diffs...less okay.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Amen to that brother. Shut down facebook about 3 years ago and dont miss it one bit. I realized how narcissistic I was becoming. Always updating my status and posting pictures of myself. It was all about me and the truth is, the world doesnt need to know that much about me.

If the climb requires actual crawling, youll win. If it simply requires a fast approach and alot of throttle, you may still win but dont be afraid to use high gear with the diffs unlocked and just run at it. Ive got a bunch of spots I run at, bit and and rock walls and stuff. Its fun to take a fast run at a steep incline and see how far you can go. You often end up barrel rolling down the other side... but its fun non the less. Do whatever you have to do to beat him. The summit is better in the real world than any muggy any day.

I hear ya. That video was AWESOME

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    But notice that pav is using YouTube there. It's a bit of a pain to have two accounts but the truth of the matter is that photobucket compresses the heck out of videos and can't come close to rivaling the quality of YouTube videos.
    However, wanna talk about people behaving badly? Check YouTube comments. That's a whole other discussion though.
    My advice: practice and CHEAT like there's no tomorrow. Especially make sure the uphill portion is too slippery for a mountain goat wearing crampons and carrying a winch. You should still do okay. Anything without locking diffs...less okay.
    Lol thats funny. Okay, where does my toggle need to be front, middle, or rear?

Rear is unlocked: best for an all-out straight speed race while not destroying your diffs. I'm not sure you'll want to compare the stock Summit's top speed with many other RCs.

Center is front diff locked: best for moderately difficult surface conditions and/or terrain that is steep enough to present the danger of the rear wheels trying to drive under the fronts, thereby flipping you on your back and ignominiously losing to a Muggy. Letting the front wheels pull you up also tends to make the chassis squat lower to the ground, lessening the chance of flipping.

Front is front and rear diffs locked: for all other conditions where you ain't goin' nowheres without all four tire churning at the same time. NOT TO BE USED IN HIGH GEAR unless you are willing to pay the high parts price. If you can design a course where you HAVE TO run with both diffs locked (I suggest moderately steep and highly slippery) then the other truck has no chance.

RC Racer
    Rear is unlocked: best for an all-out straight speed race while not destroying your diffs. I'm not sure you'll want to compare the stock Summit's top speed with many other RCs.

Center is front diff locked: best for moderately difficult surface conditions and/or terrain that is steep enough to present the danger of the rear wheels trying to drive under the fronts, thereby flipping you on your back and ignominiously losing to a Muggy. Letting the front wheels pull you up also tends to make the chassis squat lower to the ground, lessening the chance of flipping.

Front is front and rear diffs locked: for all other conditions where you ain't goin' nowheres without all four tire churning at the same time. NOT TO BE USED IN HIGH GEAR unless you are willing to pay the high parts price. If you can design a course where you HAVE TO run with both diffs locked (I suggest moderately steep and highly slippery) then the other truck has no chance.
    KSB, excellent description!!! I really appreciate your knowledge in this area, as well as many others. Dont think I would enjoy this car as much if I didnt have the support you all offer.

I will be posting a test run within the hour.

RC Racer
    Quick question?

When charging my current 8.4V 3000mah batteries, why does the digital readout say the battery voltage is charging up to 10-11volts if the battery is only an 8.4V?

I know, silly question,

RC Racer
    Okay, got my test run in. Guys, all I could record the runs with was my Droid, couldn't find my camcorder, so its going to be pretty crappy, plus, I was trying to steer and record at the same time lol.

First vid: I have tried and tried to rotate the vid but It wont let me, it just keeps reverting to the side angle, so you will have to turn your computers sideways unless someone knows a trick to rotate the angle:

RC Racer
    I hate to see the summit dirty. Took off the shell, and dirt is all around the motor. Would it be okay to blow it off with the air compressor?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Yes, it is good to blow it off with an air compressor.

You call that dirty?

And this is not the dirtiest Summit I have seen:
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 12-14-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Haha thats what i was thinking... Thats dirty??? Your not even trying :P and besides, i think the summit looks best when all dirty, just like it should be! Just like my jeep wrangler, looks good with a little mud all over it!

RC Racer
    Yes, it is good to blow it off with an air compressor.

You call that dirty?

And this is not the dirtiest Summit I have seen:
    Ha ok gotcha.

RC Racer
    Can you all see the vids? Not sure if i posted it correctly

Quote Originally Posted by his grace View Post
    Quick question?

When charging my current 8.4V 3000mah batteries, why does the digital readout say the battery voltage is charging up to 10-11volts if the battery is only an 8.4V?

I know, silly question,
    Battery cell voltages are rated two main different ways: nominal and maximum.
    For NiMH cells, 1.2 Volts is nominal but they will charge up to 1.5 Volts or even higher and then fall back to their maximum voltage, usually around 1.4 to 1.5 Volts. Therefore a 7-cell (8.4V) NiMH pack can read 10.8V or higher during a charge but will most likely fall back to 10 - 10.2 when removed from the charger.

For LiPo cells 3.7 Volts is nominal and 4.2 Volts is maximum. Due to the different chemistry and different charge methods, there is hardly any voltage fallback with LiPo cells. This is a good thing since damage starts occurring at 1% over maximum voltage!

RC Qualifier
    Yep, nice roll at the end there
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Racer
    Battery cell voltages are rated two main different ways: nominal and maximum.
    For NiMH cells, 1.2 Volts is nominal but they will charge up to 1.5 Volts or even higher and then fall back to their maximum voltage, usually around 1.4 to 1.5 Volts. Therefore a 7-cell (8.4V) NiMH pack can read 10.8V or higher during a charge but will most likely fall back to 10 - 10.2 when removed from the charger.

For LiPo cells 3.7 Volts is nominal and 4.2 Volts is maximum. Due to the different chemistry and different charge methods, there is hardly any voltage fallback with LiPo cells. This is a good thing since damage starts occurring at 1% over maximum voltage!
    Thanks for explaining that, makes sense now.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TQi View Post
    Yep, nice roll at the end there
    Baha that was my first vid, and i rolled it right off the back lol. Skill level 1

RC Qualifier
    Lol at least you get to drive yours, I'm checking my tracking number like every 4 hours to see when my chargers coming hahah

There's no set date but I'm thinking next Friday.. hopefully sooner !!

I hate the wait! It is KILLER!!

RC Racer
    Lol at least you get to drive yours, I'm checking my tracking number like every 4 hours to see when my chargers coming hahah

There's no set date but I'm thinking next Friday.. hopefully sooner !!
    So you are just waiting on a charger?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post

Nice video!

That area looks really familar. Is that the same place where we we ran the Summits on the rock pile and I also rode in the side-x-side over the 70' table top?

RC Qualifier
    Yep just the charger with the dual 2s board, orange shocks for the rear, and the roof lights for better night driving

The wait is killer lol, it sucks

RC Racer
    Yep just the charger with the dual 2s board, orange shocks for the rear, and the roof lights for better night driving

The wait is killer lol, it sucks
    Whats with the orange shocks for the rear?

The rear end sags... a way to fix that is with double orange springs (like what is on the front) for the rear as they are stiffer than stock.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Some time ago I tried stiffer springs on the back of my Summit and while the high speed handling definitely improved, the overall articulation of the suspension suffered noticeably. Since I use the truck primarily for trail type crawling, suspension articulation is more important than high speed handling.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Some time ago I tried stiffer springs on the back of my Summit and while the high speed handling definitely improved, the overall articulation of the suspension suffered noticeably. Since I use the truck primarily for trail type crawling, suspension articulation is more important than high speed handling.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Got my batteries last night, thanks again.

RC Racer
    Daddgummmmit!

I just got my batteries (lipo) and accidentely charged them on the onyx charger with the settings set at NIMH!!!! crud.....
    Now when I try to go back and and charge them on the lipo setting, I get an error code of 7, I believe high voltage!!!

Are the batteries ruined?

Do you have a voltmeter?
    This way you can check cell voltages.

RC Racer
    Do you have a voltmeter?
    This way you can check cell voltages.
    No but the battery charger said they both were at 9.3 crud

RC Competitor
    hope they dont puff....i did that once and the battery was ok for a couple of hours, then it swelled up like a balloon...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If the packs did not swell or puff, try to run the packs or find some way to discharge them as soon as possible.

RC Racer

Cool

OKay, I went ahead and ran the LiPo batteries even though I accidently charged them under the NiMh setting, which charged them up to 9volts eekkk. My Summit's light stay red even with the lipo's in them, I believe that may be due to the high voltage charge it just received. After running the lipos for about an hour, I tried to plug them into the charger, and the charger read them at 8.4 volts. So I guess I will let them sit and hopefully they will lose some charge and be back in normal range. I pray I have not destroyed them.

Conclusion, it did awesome!! Those batteries really wake this Summit up, I could even tell it was quicker and stronger, or it felt that way.

Okay, so Jeremiah took his Muggy and I took my Summit, and it was pretty awesome, I destroyed him on the climbing and basically anything to do with all terrain while in the pit. His constantly stalled and had to be restarted and this and that and then he finally destroyed his clutch while I ran over him. here is some of the videos:

this was after a few runs, we wanted to see who could run over who, I ran over him and stayed on top of him and he tried to get out from under me and burnt up his clutch: not sure why our voices are messed up

he dared me to just go full blast off the cliff:

trying to upload the actual few runs we did.

Be very watchful of those packs.they do not self discharge you will need to run them down.Do not over discharge them. just want to make sure you are aware of the possible risks involved.
    These batts pack a large amount of potential energy.If mistreated they can create a bad situation quickly.

Sent using lipo power
    Last edited by jamann; 12-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

You should also start a YouTube channel its free and easier to share your vids.full speed off a cliff you say..I'll try that ...lol the beginning kinda shows its a pretty tough truck lol looks like you had fun and that is what it's about
    http://youtu.be/MrpgkHHh0l8

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    His nitro was broke down, so we did this one with mine, and he was still talking mess lol

Last edited by his grace; 12-15-2012 at 03:08 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    You should also start a YouTube channel its free and easier to share your vids.full speed off a cliff you say..I'll try that ...lol the beginning kinda shows its a pretty tough truck lol looks like you had fun and that is what it's about
    http://youtu.be/MrpgkHHh0l8

Sent using lipo power
    Awesome vid! I will start a you tube channel

RC Racer
    Get this, the guy i competed against this morning who was talking about how junkie electric rc cars are is now being a summit lol

That's all it usually takes....to see or run one in person.The realization of what this truck is capable of can be a surprise

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Awesome thread you guys have here with lots of great info. Guess what. My wife bought me a Summit too. It was for our 25th wedding anniversary at the end of last month. Ive only had a chance to run it a few times, but so far its awsome. She also got me a pair of Traxxas Power Cells 2s 25C 7.4v 7600mah Lipo batts. I already had a lipo compatible charger so I was set. The Lipos really make it get up and go. So far Ive only broken the front bumper mount. I replaced it with a new one and changed the rear springs to double orange. And thanks to this thread, my steering servos no longer hum.

I cant wait to see the video of the OP's race with the Mubby!