Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RC Racer

My wife bought me a Summit.....

Hey guys, new to the community and had a few questions.

Neighbors and friends have RC cars and I have always wanted one. To my surprise, my wife bought me a new Summit. Upsetting thing is, she thought she bought me the one with the upgraded LiPo batteries and that it would go 60 miles an hour lol. The one that I opened, for my birthday present, was a Traxxus Summit, but with the regular 3000 mah batteries. Where she thought she got me the skill level 4 Summit, I actually got the skill level 2 Summit. She was upset, because she wanted me to go out and beat the other guys on the block who run Nitro RC cars, I dont see that happening.

I am sitting here in my living room, looking at this nice truck, and my wife is mad because she said the Traxxas dealer told her this would be ready to run out of the box, little to our surprise, we still have to purchase the charger for the batteries.

I told my wife how grateful I am, but she says she wants to buy me the Mango motor or something along those lines.

So guys, fill me in. What can I do to make this fast? Can I just switch to LiPo batteries? does my current ESC or whatever that is, support the use of different batteries?

Is the current titan motor worth a darn?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-10-2012 at 11:19 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The stock Titan is a very nice motor...
    If you want fast, you probably want a different RC, as the Summit is designed for slower speeds... 20-30 tops. You would have to change out quite a few parts to make it durable enough at speeds greater than this.

I don't know of any 10th scale stock Summit that claims 60mph, LiPo or not.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The stock Titan is a very nice motor...
    If you want fast, you probably want a different RC, as the Summit is designed for slower speeds... 20-30 tops. You would have to change out quite a few parts to make it durable enough at speeds greater than this.

I don't know of any 10th scale stock Summit that claims 60mph, LiPo or not.
    Okay, thank you for the info.

After looking through the information my wife did, when purchasing this vehicle for me, I dont see where she read 60 mph hour either. She really put her heart into this and thats all that really counts. She said she researched electric RC cars for nearly 4 weeks, looking for the perfect one for me. And just because of that, this one is the perfect one. I was just curious if I would be able to get some more speed out of it lol. Heck, I dont even have the battery charger for it yet lol.

There are quite a few threads on battery chargers... the best advice I can give you is to ask around for some real-world feed back on what you want to buy before you buy. There are lots of "affordable" chargers that are actually quite dangerous for your packs. Take your time and try not to get overwhelmed... I am not sure how much you know about this hobby. Also, if you plan on staying in electric RC, your charge system will be the backbone of the hobby... treat it as such. RC's will probably come and go as you find what works best for you... but most likely, your charge system will remain.

I suggest starting with what you have... after you get a charger, of course... and find out how you like it in stock form. Then after a bit, decide what really needs to be improved. I had lots of grand plans of dumping lots of money and parts into my Summit to make it into something it was really not designed for... all of those plans went out the window once I drove it first hand. I must say... I have "fast" RC's... I have more fun and spend more time with my Summit than I do my fast RC's.

Here are a few links on chargers:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...charging-setup
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rger-vs-cooker

BTW:
    Kudos to your wife... and to you for respecting her gift to you.

RC Racer
    There are quite a few threads on battery chargers... the best advice I can give you is to ask around for some real-world feed back on what you want to buy before you buy. There are lots of "affordable" chargers that are actually quite dangerous for your packs. Take your time and try not to get overwhelmed... I am not sure how much you know about this hobby. Also, if you plan on staying in electric RC, your charge system will be the backbone of the hobby... treat it as such. RC's will probably come and go as you find what works best for you... but most likely, your charge system will remain.

I suggest starting with what you have... after you get a charger, of course... and find out how you like it in stock form. Then after a bit, decide what really needs to be improved. I had lots of grand plans of dumping lots of money and parts into my Summit to make it into something it was really not designed for... all of those plans went out the window once I drove it first hand. I must say... I have "fast" RC's... I have more fun and spend more time with my Summit than I do my fast RC's.

Here are a few links on chargers:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...charging-setup
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rger-vs-cooker

BTW:
    Kudos to your wife... and to you for respecting her gift to you.
    Excellent info Jimmie, I honestly appreciate your time. I will keep updated, and I dont doubt for a second, that this Summit will be awesome.

You know whats odd? It just hit me, the only other rc car that I have ever owned was bought for me for Christmas when I was 13 y/o. Guess what it was? It was that Traxxss race car that had two tracks (like tractor treads) on it and went up to speeds of like 60 mph. I believe it was a Traxxas. Now thats crazy.

I am here to help...

A lot has changed since then, that is for sure!
    I was out of the hobby for about 10 years and EVERYTHING changed during that time... prices, technology, top brands, terminology... everything. Took me about 8 months to catch up! All it really took though was a lot of reading and questions... questions to the right people, that is. lol

Pretty much everyone on this forum will lend good advice... this forum is by far, Traxxas' best tool.

RC Competitor
    Congratulations! Your wife made a very wise investment.
    I bought 2 the other day, 1 for my 7 year old son and myself for Christmas. (Black-Green)
    I have a Losi Buggy and truck and though they are fast, the Summit is around very cool. I am not interested in speed,
    been their done it. Rock climbing, kicking dirt and everything in between the Summit does effortlessly. You will See!

Broncojoe

If you want to love this truck (first adjust the servos so there is no conflict between the steering servos and no binding of the T-lock servos or shift servo!) and then go and drive it places that you think it cannot possibly handle. If you drive it in a parking lot or baseball field, you will likely be disappointed. However, on the trails it shines. I drive mine on trails where I am continuously told by other hikers, "It will not make it down that." My usual and totally truthful reply is, "Why not? It just made it UP!" I cannot tell you how many times this has happened. I have to start bringing cash on my hikes so I can lay bets, lol.
    (J/K, I do not condone betting.)
    Many RC vehicles are exciting. Some are simply exciting because of what they can do. For example, many of us also have RCs that can go 50, 60, 70 mph or more. That's neat. The Summit is exciting for what you can do together. It is an adventure machine simply because it forces you to find something to challenge its prodigious abilities. In doing so, you are often challenging yourself physically by having to keep up with it and mentally by figuring out not only how to surmount significant obstacles but also by finding obstacles significant enough to trouble a Summit.
    I admit that he fast stuff is pretty fun - I have a few other Traxxas models, all much faster than the Summmit - but speed costs money. You can go on a 4-hour excursion with a Summit by bringing one extra set of (LiPo) batteries and when you return to "GO" the only cost to you will have been the electricity to charge the packs. To say that you can without much care spend man-DAYS of driving time and not break anything is not an exaggeration. Yes, things do break. I may finally have to rebuild or replace my rear diff and a couple driveshafts have snapped along the way, each the driver's fault. But this is after 18 months of ownership during which time it has collected at least 75% of my total driving time. That's not too shabby.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    If you want to love this truck (first adjust the servos so there is no conflict between the steering servos and no binding of the T-lock servos or shift servo!) and then go and drive it places that you think it cannot possibly handle. If you drive it in a parking lot or baseball field, you will likely be disappointed. However, on the trails it shines. I drive mine on trails where I am continuously told by other hikers, "It will not make it down that." My usual and totally truthful reply is, "Why not? It just made it UP!" I cannot tell you how many times this has happened. I have to start bringing cash on my hikes so I can lay bets, lol.
    (J/K, I do not condone betting.)
    Many RC vehicles are exciting. Some are simply exciting because of what they can do. For example, many of us also have RCs that can go 50, 60, 70 mph or more. That's neat. The Summit is exciting for what you can do together. It is an adventure machine simply because it forces you to find something to challenge its prodigious abilities. In doing so, you are often challenging yourself physically by having to keep up with it and mentally by figuring out not only how to surmount significant obstacles but also by finding obstacles significant enough to trouble a Summit.
    I admit that he fast stuff is pretty fun - I have a few other Traxxas models, all much faster than the Summmit - but speed costs money. You can go on a 4-hour excursion with a Summit by bringing one extra set of (LiPo) batteries and when you return to "GO" the only cost to you will have been the electricity to charge the packs. To say that you can without much care spend man-DAYS of driving time and not break anything is not an exaggeration. Yes, things do break. I may finally have to rebuild or replace my rear diff and a couple driveshafts have snapped along the way, each the driver's fault. But this is after 18 months of ownership during which time it has collected at least 75% of my total driving time. That's not too shabby.
    Excellent info, can you share with me how to adjust the servos, or a link?

RC Qualifier
    I also need some help with setting the servos up, there's so many and I want them done right the first time.

That's a sweet Christmas gift by the way
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Qualifier
    grace, to alight the servo's...all you have to do is disconnect the screw from the bottom of the servo(servo horns), on both sides, you might have to remove the servo guards to get to the screw, remove the servo horns from the gear on the servo so that they are totally disconnected and will not interfere with the servo when you turn it on. when you have them free on both sides. turn the transmitter on and set the steering trim to zero. turn the car on next and let the servo's zero themselves out, now that they are zero'd out. i leave the car on just in case they get spun again somehow. you want the steering arms to be 90 degrees at every angle and the front wheels are straight...just like this picture below...once you have them all lined up to 90 degrees and lined up to the servo gears, snap them both on and see if you can hear them fighting against each other at all. you might get a little tic every now and again when your driving but thats fine. that is how i did all my trucks and its worked great. hope that helps and enjoy your new truck man.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    What about the diff locking and gear servos?

RC Qualifier
    This may be of some help as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSrAvhm3b1g

Sent from my iPhone using autocorrect

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TQi View Post
    What about the diff locking and gear servos?
    Just make sure that the servos don't humm or buzz. That will cause them to prematurely fail. Check to make sure that the linkages don't bind on anything. If they do you will need to "tweak" them so they don't.

My linkages didn't bind but the one for my rear diff lock was too long, so I had to pop the plastic ball joint off the servo horn and use the adjustment threads to shorten it up. I used nearly all of the adjustment I had.

There are also tips in the FAQ I believe.

RC Qualifier
    @ his grace, you'll love this truck, trust me. Give it a chance.

Speed is over rated IMO. I have a 1/10 scale nitro stadium truck that
    tops out @ 80mph. Dont get me wrong, it's a rush having that capability
    at my finger tips but ...Its one dimensional.

I can rock crawl, mud bog, snow plow, hill climb, tow, etc with my Summit
    I cant do any of that with my 1/10 scale. It just goes fast.

I'd suggest converting to LIPO'sand a decent charger.
    You"ll pick up a little speed, you'll certainly have longer
    run time.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Competitor
    i agree with the rest here, i just got a summit and running it flat out sucks. get it on some boulders, mud, water, rocks,trees, and you will have fun. i took mine out to the lake and climbed some rocks that my friend was telling me no its not going to do
    that, then he becomes my spotter telling me what way to turn haha. the stock 3000 batterys are ok in low gear, but in high
    gear they dont last long.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by davyjones'_fleet View Post
    grace, to alight the servo's...all you have to do is disconnect the screw from the bottom of the servo(servo horns), on both sides, you might have to remove the servo guards to get to the screw, remove the servo horns from the gear on the servo so that they are totally disconnected and will not interfere with the servo when you turn it on. when you have them free on both sides. turn the transmitter on and set the steering trim to zero. turn the car on next and let the servo's zero themselves out, now that they are zero'd out. i leave the car on just in case they get spun again somehow. you want the steering arms to be 90 degrees at every angle and the front wheels are straight...just like this picture below...once you have them all lined up to 90 degrees and lined up to the servo gears, snap them both on and see if you can hear them fighting against each other at all. you might get a little tic every now and again when your driving but thats fine. that is how i did all my trucks and its worked great. hope that helps and enjoy your new truck man.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Hey bud, I really appreciate the advice, looking forward to doing that once i get off work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
    This may be of some help as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSrAvhm3b1g

That was a great video! Thank you

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroTrout View Post
    @ his grace, you'll love this truck, trust me. Give it a chance.

Speed is over rated IMO. I have a 1/10 scale nitro stadium truck that
    tops out @ 80mph. Dont get me wrong, it's a rush having that capability
    at my finger tips but ...Its one dimensional.

I can rock crawl, mud bog, snow plow, hill climb, tow, etc with my Summit
    I cant do any of that with my 1/10 scale. It just goes fast.

I'd suggest converting to LIPO'sand a decent charger.
    You"ll pick up a little speed, you'll certainly have longer
    run time.
    Okay! So do i need to do upgrade the esc with a lva when i get the liPo's? Just curious, why dont i need a lva or lvc with the NiMh batteries that came with it? Or is the lva located within the NiMH battery pack?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks machinist

LVD is built into your ESC if you have the tqi remote, they started putting LVD on the evx-2 earlier this year sometime

RC Racer
    Thanks machinist

LVD is built into your ESC if you have the tqi remote, they started putting LVD on the evx-2 earlier this year sometime
    Yaaaa one less thing to purchase, good deal. Okay, i will go out and buy those LiPos today. Now, i am guessing i need a different charger then? The owners manual suggests purchasing the TRX EZ-Peak part #2930 for the charging of the NiMH batteries, not sure if that would charge the LiPos though. I will do some research

RC Qualifier
    Yeah that one doesn't do Lipo, I'm not an expert on good chargers, I just ordered the traxxas ez-peak 6 ot something with the dual 2s balance adapter for it. Won't be the fastest but I'm in no rush. Spc racing have the best lipos im told, I just got a pair of 50c 8000mah 2s that should have more run time then I need

Oh and they're cheap, unless you live in Canada lol then customs tax evens it out to regular prices almost

RC Racer
    Yeah that one doesn't do Lipo, I'm not an expert on good chargers, I just ordered the traxxas ez-peak 6 ot something with the dual 2s balance adapter for it. Won't be the fastest but I'm in no rush. Spc racing have the best lipos im told, I just got a pair of 50c 8000mah 2s that should have more run time then I need

Oh and they're cheap, unless you live in Canada lol then customs tax evens it out to regular prices almost

Okay great. I am checking out spc racing now. A dealer in town has 2 LiPo's for sale at 67.00. They are 2's.

RC Qualifier
    For 2 that sounds like a good deal, make sure they're at least 5000mah so you can have some decent run times

RC Racer
    Man, they have lipos for sale that are pushing 8000mah, 2s2p. I wonder if we can run those in our summits? Will that destroy our titan motor? Hmmm

As long as they fit in the battery compartment, they have 2S voltage (8.4v max), and at least 3000mAh; you can run them in a Summit.

RC Qualifier
    No that's the ones i was talking about, they're premo

RC Racer
    As long as they fit in the battery compartment, they have 2S voltage (8.4v max), and at least 3000mAh; you can run them in a Summit.
    Hey Jimmie, thanks bud. Will i see a big difference in power? Speed? Run time? From the 3000mah nimh batteries compared to the lipos 5000 or 8000 mah?

mAh will not affect speed at all... mAh is the measurement of capacity of the pack; how big the tank is. So, the more mAh you have, the more run time.

Voltage is what effects speed.

RC Racer
    I guess i need to make sure the connectors fit, i have the traxxas high current connectors or something like that.

All Traxxas RC's have Traxxas connectors in stock form.
    These are purchasable and with a little practice and the right (not expensive, about $12-15) equipment, you can solder them onto whatever battery you choose.

RC Racer
    Well forget that. The dealer was asking 69.00 per lipo 2s 5000 mah battery, onyx brand.

I am going to order from spc racing and get the same speck battery for 29.00.

I did purchase the onyx 245 battery charger, pretty cool

RC Racer
    All Traxxas RC's have Traxxas connectors in stock form.
    These are purchasable and with a little practice and the right (not expensive, about $12-15) equipment, you can solder them onto whatever battery you choose.
    Oh okay, that clears things up

Did you order another male Traxxas High Current Connector? It looks like it only comes with one charge lead that terminates in a THCC. You can modify the other lead (my suggestion would be to remove the "standard" connector and solder on the Traxxas male) or you can buy one of these charge leads.

I'd suggest the 40C/8000mAh SPC packs for $45.95 each.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Did you order another male Traxxas High Current Connector? It looks like it only comes with one charge lead that terminates in a THCC. You can modify the other lead (my suggestion would be to remove the "standard" connector and solder on the raxxas male) or you can buy one of these charge leads.

Well crap!!!! I already ordered them argh. It said it comes with the traxxas connector, do you think its not the same one on my esc?

RC Racer
    Did you order another male Traxxas High Current Connector? It looks like it only comes with one charge lead that terminates in a THCC. You can modify the other lead (my suggestion would be to remove the "standard" connector and solder on the raxxas male) or you can buy one of these charge leads.

Hold on! The onyx charger does come with the correct adapter, i checked before i bought it. I thought you were talking about the new lipo batteries i ordered from spc racing.

RC Racer

The dealer told me he didnt think that the 8000 mah would fit in my summit, is he wrong?

If SPC says it will fit, it will fit.
    Sounds like your dealer is incorrect.

RC Racer
    I have to say after speaking with Tom with SPC racing, i am super pumped. I just bought the 8000mah lipos from him. He said i could just exchange my previous order of the 5000 mah lipos. I guess my hobby dealer here didnt know what he was talking about by saying the 8000's wouldnt fit. I highly recommend Tom, very cool guy and great customer service.

RC Racer
    Did you order another male Traxxas High Current Connector? It looks like it only comes with one charge lead that terminates in a THCC. You can modify the other lead (my suggestion would be to remove the "standard" connector and solder on the Traxxas male) or you can buy one of these charge leads.

I just ordered these, 1hour run time will be alot better then 15 minutes