RC Qualifier

Want to go lipo...

Have the t-bone front bumper and servo guard....and the ESC fan...Otherwise bone stock VXL 4x4...I have been concerned about the fire dangers in using these batteries...But the performance gains are very much tempting...I will be needing a good charger and batteries of course.. Please help a noob..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Lipo are pretty safe, more accidents occurs if you mistreat them, puncture them, charge above the manufacturer recommends. Overall I prefer hard case packs.

there are pretty good packs
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html

charger
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 12-10-2012 at 08:53 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That's what I thought too but the fire thing is just if you have a bad wire terminal or soldering, overcharge, way overheat etc.
    these things aren't actually bad u just need to be careful with how you handle them...and get a lipo safe bag (for charging) other than that you have nothing to worry about and will never want to go back to Nimh again haha

RC Qualifier
    And that's where I got my lipo (what RC fan was saying)^^

And you can use lipo sacks for peace of mind but lipo is king
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    Once you go lipo you will ask yourself why you didn't switch sooner. No regrets.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    Once you go lipo you will ask yourself why you didn't switch sooner. No regrets.
    AMEN! Even 2S is faster and runs way longer than a high capacity 8.4V NiMH & 3S. And 3S run that much longer and you do wheelies in dirt with good tires! Another plus is they don't get burning hot like the NiMH's do and you keep power up right until they go on low voltage cutoff. My NiMH's are now collecting dust!

Got rid of my nimh after the first run of the pede.....peace

RC Champion
    even nimh, and the old nicad batteries can be dangerous if mistreated. after having lipos for about 3-4 months now. im a happy camper. i do keep them in a ammo box when not in use. plus alot of the best lipos are actually cheaper than nimh batteries.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    That charger Rc-fan linked to is great. You can hook it up to your computer if you are a data nerd and want to track charge/discharge info. Mine has been flawless.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    If you do get the charger linked above, make sure to have a volt meter(or google hyperion battery checker) handy to periodically check to make sure the balance circuit is working properly. I had one of those cheap china chargers, and while it worked ok for a while, it turned into a battery cooker and ruined 130$ worth of my lipos. Good thing it did not cause a fire before I figured out that it was overcharging my lipos. I picked up a hyperion charger and these are known to be very accurate and safe.

Also, if you have a problem with either of the 2 above linked products, good luck with getting anything replaced by hobyparts...

Check out SPC Batteries. Great value, company, and customer service...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Hobbypartz replaced a radio and swapped me some lipos in under a week. Great service in my experience.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post

Also, if you have a problem with either of the 2 above linked products, good luck with getting anything replaced by hobyparts...

Check out SPC Batteries. Great value, company, and customer service...
    They replaced me a pack that I shorted while soldering the connector, their customer service is pretty good. I never tried spc batteries, but the price is kind of high for soft pack with low c rating.

They sold me a radio, that all of the advertized functions did not work(expo does not work on that model), and would not refund me because I turned it on. I got ripped off on my first purchase, glad that your issues were worked out, but I will not order from them again.

I have never owned a soft case spc pack.

This is a 6500 50c hardcase (you can trust the c ratings) for 40$ with your choice of genuine deans or traxxas connector.
    http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=121
    Is that not a good value?

Look, Wasn't trying to start a battery war, just told the op to check out the company, thats all. If you do have any questions, or are in need of any assistance at all, Tom Himes will not steer you wrong. If you are in doubt of this company, contact them with any concerns(like the one expressed in the post above) and see for yourself...

Peace!

RC Qualifier
    Rag6, your comment to check out the company is fair. These Chinese companies are definitely hit or miss and you take some risk to save some money. If that radio was a gt3, its a beast with the overkill mod kit.

Not saying that the Chinese suppliers packs are full of problems. Many people love them. I owned a couple, and they were not great, not bad. I just find more value with another company.

Its like everything in life some good bad but most times you get what you pay for....peace