RC Qualifier

Water proofed my mamba monster

I got some .06"lexan and made a small box to enclose my esc.

I just used a knife to score the lexan and break it.I stuck it together with hot glue.I left the fan in and there is air all around.its real cold out so cooling should not be an issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Note

RC Enthusiast
    nice job! but your esc is not going to have any air when running, your going to have to take a lot of breaks, also make sure your esc doesnt get to hot and start the glue on fire. How is it going to cool off after a run? a much easier way would be too put plasti dip around the casing of the esc

RC Qualifier
    Nice one, that's thinking outside the box LOL.

Let us know how it works out.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

Interesting mod mate...I like your thinking ...I plasti dipped mine...so far working OK.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasman25 View Post
    nice job! but your esc is not going to have any air when running, your going to have to take a lot of breaks, also make sure your esc doesnt get to hot and start the glue on fire. How is it going to cool off after a run? a much easier way would be too put plasti dip around the casing of the esc
    It don't seem to get hot, its real cold out here, once the snow melts I'll take it off again, but the fan is going circulating air on the inside . I didn't want to plasti dip the ESC so I would still have warranty. I have lots of work to do on my dirt bike the summer and i've LCG/aluminum chassis'd 3 trucks, so my RC budget is blown now. besides who knows how much longer the waterproof mamba will be.

If you want to get fancy you could cover the bottom of the esc, and glue in around the connectors and heat sink. if I had some easier to cut material like a foam of some sort i'd try that in the summer.

RC Champion
    The fan is circulating hot air, which won't cool anything.
    I'd cut a piece of outerwears material for the top of the box and drill holes in the sides and cover the sides with out wears material as well.

http://outerwears.com/faq.html#q112
    Last edited by Zepher; 12-10-2012 at 08:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Frog skins are better it actually keeps snow out and lets air in,I just ran two packs through and it was fine

Sent from my Galaxy Note

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Nice one, that's thinking outside the box LOL.
    Well, technically that's thinking INSIDE a transparent box.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Ah yes BUT, the water will still be outside the box!

RC Qualifier
    i wonder if a ir heat gun would be able to tell the heat of the esc from the outside of the box? thats an awesome idea though, props, i just don't run mine in the rain or wet, makes a mess too with the mud and dirt when its wet
    EMBE
    Jato 3.3
    T-Maxx 2.5

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by davyjones'_fleet View Post
    i wonder if a ir heat gun would be able to tell the heat of the esc from the outside of the box? thats an awesome idea though, props, i just don't run mine in the rain or wet, makes a mess too with the mud and dirt when its wet
    Next time I run the truck i'll try. but its a blast in the snow, I only had the badlands on, they are not so good in snow. I may try the mashers or trenchers next time,

RC poster
    That's a good way to waterproof esc without voiding your warranty. I ran my e-maxx with MMM in box last winter and the temps were ok. When i ran non-stop for 15min the fan sometimes went on ,but the esc has never had a thermal cut off.(it also didn't burnt ;p) This is the picture of the box:

Instead of hot glue I used some electrical tape and foam for wires.

RC Qualifier
    I got about 2 hours in the snow and so far so good, the fan barely ever comes on. The best tires so far are the Mashers unless the snow is powder you get no where but on a snowboard sliding hill its a lot of fun!

RC Qualifier
    Nice. I am sure the cold ambients help though.
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Enthusiast
    Noway I could get away with it here in Houston. Dang humidity alone would probably fill it up.

I think it's a very cool deal though, good job.

RC poster
    Will doing this to mine for Snow just got about 8" over here in Ottawa region.

RC Qualifier
    On packed snow its a lot of fun I usually go to a hill where all the kids are sliding

Sent from my Galaxy Note