Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Insane 1/16 E-Revo MMM 1/8 esc 6s power and 2650 / 3800kV castle

Hey!

I am in the making of a ridicioulous 1/16 e-revo.

Mamba Monster Max esc + 3800kV 1410 Castle

Tenbol 540 motor mount on 1/16 e-revo making it happen!

Or Mamba Monster Max + 2650kV SuperBigBlock.

on 6s !!!!! 2x 3s 1600mah 25-50c packs in series / 2x 3s 1800mah "45c" packs in series.

In short:
    1/16 E-revo with Mamba Monster Max ESC on 6s 25,2V + either 3800kV Castle 1410 motor or MMM 2650kV motor.

I calculated that the 3800kV will at 25,2V run at 95760 RPM max. It is rated at max 100 000 rpm, so i think that would work, if i watch the temperature. So I will use my DX3S with telemetry reciever to keep close watch on the temp.

I am considering using the MMM 2650kV motor, but i think it may be too long?! (I think it is 2 cm longer).
    I also have other alternatives, I shopped a lot on Castle`s black friday sale, so i got 1x 2650MMM combo, and 5 other 540motors in different kV (higher up to 7700)

What gearing should i use? / How do i calculate that?

Why am i doing this?
    Because I got two e-revos, one with Velineon and one with custom brushless.
    I don`t need two e-revos so I thought it would be hilarious making one of them totally useless and stupidly overpowered.

What am i expecting?

I expect a more or less totally uncontrollable, unbelieving e-revo that would probably strip all gears and diffs before i reach 100m down the street. I am prepared for this, but I will try my luck for the fun of it.

I am expecting a theoretical top speed of 100mph, and I expect never reaching this speed as previous experience has showed me that the e-revo flips over before you reach top speed on 3s almost every time.

"Buy the XO-1" nah, I allready got it, but I want to see what will happen with a super powered 6s big block speed geared 1/16 e-revo.

What do you guys think?

I have allready shopped motors and esc`s for 700$ from castle, so they are in the mail! And the Tenbol motor mount is sitting on my desk

I think I have to change some diffs or gears on my e-revo though last time i ran it it made terrible sounds... Diffs? which other gears is it probably? it has seen a lot of bashing and jumping!

Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated!

Which pinions / spurs should i get? What fits? links would be appreciated
    Last edited by Pirathore; 12-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Team associated 21141 are shims for the diffs so you don't strip them, which might end up happening either way
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC Enthusiast
    Ahh cool thanks for the tip, just bought it on e-ebay after getting your advice!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC18T-RC18R-...item5aec220213

How am i supposed to use the shims? one on the inside of each axle / on the backside of the gear?? I am a real novice when it comes to diffs and driveline stuff... But from before i allready have the CVD axles actually, one of the e-revos is pretty hopped up with alu stuff can post a picture later today

RC Enthusiast

Sorry for crappy quality on pictures... iPhone + bad lighting, will try to see if i can get my Nikon working later on in the project.

RC Enthusiast
    This is my current inventory, so if any of you have another suggestion for which combination of motor and esc i should use, here is what we have to work with

Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    The 3800kv 1410 motor is only rated for 3S, will it take 6S?
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

Probably not.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirathore View Post

Sorry for crappy quality on pictures... iPhone + bad lighting, will try to see if i can get my Nikon working later on in the project.
    i think your bumper in the last picture is broken. i don't get in a hurry to fix broken bumpers for a good reason. if you break one then ou'll probably break another.

good luck on your mega motor upgrade. it oughta go fast and do nonstop backflips.

RC Qualifier
    i just had the 3800kv motor in my merv with a sct esc in it. and took it back out for the stock setup. it was super powerfull but slow. even with a center diff, it would do wheelies all the way down the street! i had it geared 28/50. that was the tallest gears i could fit in it without the motor hitting on the shock bolts preventing me from getting a correct gear mesh. but....i was thinking of trying a 30 or 31 spur or whatever you can find closest with a 45 tooth pinion. never got to try it though. i got bored with the wheelies and the center of gravity being so high. if you don't slow way down it'll flip over. i never had heat issues and that was on 3s wich is max for the sct. that thing will be insane on 6s. if your interested in speed, go with a higher kv motor. definately shim the diffs!! i went through ALOT of em untill i shimmed. then no more problems.....oh yeah and post a vid when you get it up and running!!! good luck.
    addicted much....

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by airmaxx23 View Post
    The 3800kv 1410 motor is only rated for 3S, will it take 6S?
    I honestly dont know, it`s rated for max 3s, but it also is rated for max 10000RPM (says on the back of the can "max 100.000rpm").

3s is 12,6V x 3800kV = 47880RPM with recommended max battery size.

but the 2650kV MMM motor is good for 6s right? i believe i have seen people do it, even though it is rated for max 4s.

With 6s = 25,2v x 3800kV = 95760rpm out of max 100000rpm ?!

I mean, it should be a "light" load, in regards of light weight wehicle... and why should it say max 100 000 rpm if it could not do it?

I would think that the warranty goes out the window, but i would believe that it works.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    definately shim the diffs!! i went through ALOT of em untill i shimmed. then no more problems.....
    Which shims did you use? Do you think the ones i ordered from Team AE will be good for the purpose?

Yup, bumper and wing/body mount rear is broken. My other revo even got the chassis broken, i have a new one laying around but been too lazy to fix it yet... (was doing a lot of high backflips on a 1/8 buggy track).

Will of course post video!

RC Qualifier
    *Associated RC18T Differential Shim Set (4) ASC21141. These are the ones I used last time. I tried to post the link. But I can't figure out how to do it on my phone. They come in sets of four. Get two sets and that'll be enough for both diffs.
    addicted much....

RC Enthusiast
    Ahh cool, those were the one i bought on eBay last night, 2 sets! Great success

Are there any other driveline part that needs upgrading changing? (I have the CVD axle kit from earlier).

RC Qualifier
    Center cvd's as well.
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Our little batteries will never be able to feed it. under load the voltage will drop below 3.2 volts and you will never get that rpm out if it. And it will not be good on the motor ,esc and batteries
    That's why when castle had their sale I bought a 7700kv bb and passed on the 3800
    With my neu 1112 small block with the best batteries I see below 3.2 volts

All motors have a sweet spot and even though castle says 100,000 best to stay around 60,000+
    Last edited by 50togo; 12-11-2012 at 10:30 AM.

RC Qualifier
    50, where'd you get the neu small block? Can you use it with the vxl3m or sct?
    addicted much....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This place is one of the cheapest http://www.espritmodel.com/neu-1110-...es-motors.aspx

The 3M can barely handle the stock motor... I doubt it will handle one with more power.

RC Enthusiast
    I am not using the 3m stock bl esc, i am using the MMM - Mamba Monster Max 6s from the 1/8 E-revo.

Since you will never be able to feed it enough due to the limitation of battery power, you better put the MMM in a bigger car and stick to a MMP. To get a 3800 to make some serious rpms, you need 3S. With the higher Kv rated motors, you can stick to parallel 2S batteries with a higher amp rate.
    In the end the batteries will be the limiting factor.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    Ahh cool, thanks for the input. I have 2 complete MMP kits in the post as well (big order). So if MMP will give the best result, ten the MMP will be used. I am planning on running not 3s, but 6s. to get insane rpm right on the verge of what is possible (95760rpm on 25,2v / 6s).

the batteries im using has 50c burst, at 1.6Ah giving 80Ah burst and 40Ah continous, is this not enough to feed the MMM?

How much Amperes does the MMM need?

Ahh cool, thanks for the input. I have 2 complete MMP kits in the post as well (big order). So if MMP will give the best result, ten the MMP will be used. I am planning on running not 3s, but 6s. to get insane rpm right on the verge of what is possible (95760rpm on 25,2v / 6s).

the batteries im using has 50c burst, at 1.6Ah giving 80Ah burst and 40Ah continous, is this not enough to feed the MMM?

How much Amperes does the MMM need?
    The MMM itself doesnt consume the power, the motor does. The ability of the MMM (>125A) wont be reached by far. The MMP can handle >100A, so that is more than enough.
    I doubt if you can make any motor consume so much power in a small car like the Merv to give the MMP a hard time.

RC Qualifier
    What is your goal speed,torque, just to say you did. The 2650 probably wont fit and if it does i dont think you can get enough battery or gearing to really put it to use. The 1410 may work but from the sounds of it cant get the gearing to make it work either. From your post it seems your hung up on revs which if thats what you want throw that 7700 1406 in there and see what you got. If you want torque and revs throw that 4600 in there on 3s that thing will fly. Thats whats going in mine next week

RC Qualifier
    I have been running 3750kv 550 motor on 6s geared 39/45 on foams and summit tires and only broke 100* one time. I've been running this set up for about a month without any issues with the exception of melting a center diff. I don't know what the actual real time specs are but I also get about 1/2 hour + run times. Will be getting an eagle tree set up at tax time to post some real data. The diff melted at approx 70mph while being followed by a chase car, so it wasn't a short run. Trinity Epic n MMP n Trx 3s x two in series.
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Enthusiast
    Castle arrived, I now have the building blocks to make my brushless castle / kingdom lego style...

My goal is speed, I want to make this capable of 100mph at least in theoretical speed, as in. It would do 100mph if you were able to get it up to that speed without loosing control / flipping over.

I want to make something insanely overpowered, just for the fun of it / awesomeness.

RC Enthusiast
    Wow, thats awesome... I thought i was pushing it, but you`ve allready been there! Thats awesome!

What is the diameter of the motor you are using? I see that it covers the shocks, but it seems slimmer than the MMM motor ?!
    as in smaller diameter, i think the MMM might touch the shocks...

But anyways, the 3800kV is my number one pick at the moment as i think it will fit, and be insane... But the MMM 2650kV motor should make more power?!

RC Qualifier
    Looks to be 1 3/8 inches. As a note that was 100deg not mph. According to this (http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html) my theoretical speed should be 161 @ 87k rpm. No way I'll ever see that. Melted the center diff around 70 with a persute car. It is however very fun to drive, just play with your punch control. I use the brushed motor set up and added a heat sink to the front plate. Center diff gone. I've noticed a lot of people use 540 big blocks, wich I have but I really prefer this 550 big block.
    Last edited by Mrmerv76; 12-13-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Add picture
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Enthusiast
    That scriptasylum calculator was incredible! With all motor and car alternatives etc.

I put in this and got this:
    Differential Ratio: 2.6
    Transmission Ratio: 1.9384615384615385
    Other Ratio: 1
    Spur Tooth Count: 45
    Pinion Tooth Count: 43
    Total Voltage: 25.20
    Motor KV: 3800
    Tire Diameter (inches): 3.6
    Tire Ballooning (inches): 0
    Motor Current Draw: 0
    Motor Coil Resistance: 0
    Spur/Pinion Ratio: 1.05 : 1
    Total Ratio: 5.27442 : 1
    Tire Circumference (inches): 11.31 inches (287.27 mm)
    Rollout: 2.14:1
    Total Motor Speed: 95760 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 194.45 mph (312.35 km/h)
    Effective KV Value: 3800
    KT constant: 0.36 oz-in/A
    Motor Torque: Amperage not specified...
    Final Torque: Amperage not specified...
    Final Power: Amperage not specified...

I know this exist for the 1/16 e-revo:
    Spur Gear 45T
    1/16 Slash, E-Revo
    TRA7045

And the "Tenbol" guy sells this:
    48P Hard Coated Alum Pinion Gear, 43T
    RRP1343

Which obviously fits in regards to the Tenbol mount. I saw he listed this gearing combination on 3s on his "speed recipes" page.

So i am 95 % sure the pinion will not interfere with the edge of the Tenbol mount.

This is a big question for me...

Which gearing should i run? Especially Spur gear? which size?

RC Enthusiast
    I checked with the 2650kV motor as well on the same 43/45 gearing. and i got this:
    Motor KV: 2650
    Motor Coil Resistance: 0.0035
    Total Motor Speed: 66780 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 135.6 mph (217.82 km/h)
    Effective KV Value: 2650
    KT constant: 0.51 oz-in/A

I am really not sure wheter or not the 2650kV motor will physically fit?!

RC Qualifier
    Everyone over looks the 43t spur made by HR and the one by integy. If you want max gearing that'll help you out.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Qualifier
    Yup its a fun calculator, just keep in mind it's free rev not with any load. I.e weight of car, aero n traction drag and battery resistance/ power delivery. 50 told me about an eagle tree data logger, that's my next step.
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot

RC Enthusiast
    How do i separate the battery doors from the chassi? I have been working on my other e-revo for hours! changing the main structure (big grey main part) after doing some backflips the day i bought it... (the rear end broke of completely....)

How do i remove the battery doors so i can put them on my new chassi?

I don't know about the rest of you guys but getting the doors off the 1/16 chassis isn't worth the $3 to buy a new pair.

I ALWAYS break at least one of the tabs getting the door off. usually the last tab. end up needing replacement anyways lol.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    Since the chassis is trash already I just use a razerblade or an exacto (very carefully mind you) cut the "retaining straps" on the chassis.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

I checked with the 2650kV motor as well on the same 43/45 gearing. and i got this:
    Motor KV: 2650
    Motor Coil Resistance: 0.0035
    Total Motor Speed: 66780 RPM
    Vehicle Speed: 135.6 mph (217.82 km/h)
    Effective KV Value: 2650
    KT constant: 0.51 oz-in/A

I am really not sure wheter or not the 2650kV motor will physically fit?!
    If you want something done bad enough, you will finally succeed. The question is, what is the use besides some sort of "cool" factor?
    According to your speed calculator results you seem to use 4.2V per cell for Lipo voltage. When a Lipo delivers power close to its max specs, it will never deliver power at 4.2V. Not even fresh from the charger. Better use something like 3.7 or 3.8V.
    If you are using amp hungry motors like the 2650 and 3800, it will probably be worse considering that you are going to use batteries that fit in the compartments.
    Another thing: 6S is above the specs for both motors.

RC Enthusiast
    It is just as you are saying the whole project is utterly useless and retarded... It will probably make the car totally useless...
    It is some sort of cool factor, and it would be fun to see how fast it could go, and how it will behave when you punch the throttle.

anyways... I did a chassi transplant last night.

i used the exacto knife trick on the old chassi, as recommended by one of you guys (thx!) cut open the old chassi. worked great.

Note, this is my other e-revo, this one will be be used "rationally" maybe on a track and some bashing, the way it`s meant to be used.

I have done one error though... i put it together with a ****ed up rear diff... it is pretty bad and it binds...

Think i just have to order 4 diffs on ebay $$$$ :/

Is it good for the car to shim the diffs? or is that just a short term solution when you are pushing for extreme performance?

(i wonder if i should shim the diffs on my standard car also)

There is nothing wrong with making a weird sidestep every once in a while. But even in doing extreme things, there is always a choice between totally useless and something that makes just a tiny little bit of sense.

RC Enthusiast
    True, but again.. The thing is, i got two 1/16 e-revo...
    And i personally believe that the original e-revo on 3s lipo is too extreme, and at the same time it makes just a tiny little bit of sense.. This is what i believe about the original e-revo on 3s...

And considering i got two, i want to make one that is just ridicioulous...

My goal is making it capable of 160km/h / 100mph. And if i ever were to reach 150km/h I would call it a great success!
    (I never expect it to reach these speeds, as i think it would flip or take off...)

RC Champion
    I think it's awesome. It's so ridiculous that its cool. It's not your only RC... Not even our only merv... So why wouldn't you go for it?
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you