RC Qualifier

Electric Traxxas Funny Car Vs Traxxas Nitro Funny Car

I just got done looking on the jato forum and watching some U Tube videos of jato conversion funny car deal that has the 3.3 nitro traxxas engine in it. Looks like its competive with the electric funny car. Who would have thought.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    LOL what does that build have to do with drag racing in 132 feet or 165 feet. With nitro vs electric funny car.
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    lol, i saw the title "electric VS Nitro" and i thought this would be a very competitive with the funny car dragster.....
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 12-10-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    hes build is set up for top speed and not drag racing
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    lol, i saw the title "electric VS Nitro" and i thought this would be a very competitive with the funny car dragster.....

RC Racer
    I for one would love to see any nitro drag setup compete with its electric counterpart...its the underdog in me...

1. Electric is PROVEN to be more capable from a physics aspect.
    2. Nitro is VERY finicky to tune and get the setup right
    3. Electric cars are predictable and repeatable...STUPID easy.
    4. Nitro burns your eyes ears and throat....

.......the hot rodder in me HAS to go with Nitro.....but the scientific-me digests the numbers and keeps coming up with better odds for the electric cars. only time will tell where the crown will sit with the Traxxas funny car racers!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Well Im sitting down with my popcorn LOL its looking pretty good for the nitro set up
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@HPL View Post
    I for one would love to see any nitro drag setup compete with its electric counterpart...its the underdog in me...

.......the hot rodder in me HAS to go with Nitro.....but the scientific-me digests the numbers and keeps coming up with better odds for the electric cars. only time will tell where the crown will sit with the Traxxas funny car racers!!!!

RC Racer
    This should open some eyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxKGoH7FBkY

Last edited by Jack@HPL; 12-18-2012 at 09:01 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@HPL View Post

no offence but you must not play with to many big power electrics and im not talking vxl's either . i have run nitro cars for about 15 years and electrics for about 6 years both have there pro and cons but to say electrics are stupid easy is to speak with out knowledge , as you turn a screw they plug in a coumputer ,you change clutch spring ,they loosen a nut , everthing is realitive . look at everything the people who bought the rtr funny cars go through to dial there cars in ,just as you have . i have been following your build and you have a really nice jato. but all take work . on the other side of the coin for electrics it all about traction they have all the power they could ever need and the nitro it all in how you tune the motor and weight this should be a good battle. i hope to see some good times from both types of cars

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sdash View Post
    no offence but you must not play with to many big power electrics and im not talking vxl's either .

Oh dont worry...I have 1/10th scale cars running 125mph on 4s ....multiple mamba 6s buggies/trucks....and a slew of other electric touring cars/conversions....I am no stranger to the game.

my electric Traxxas funny car runs 2.4@66mph in the 132....on unprepped concrete.

...in the end I compare the elctric to the Nitro cars and can HONESTLY say the electric cars are effortless compared to Nitro....tuning an electric setup is very predictable...you make a little adjustment to power delivery in castle link(or what ever software you use) and bam it just works!....Nitro cars have strange inconsistencies that require constant adjustment...Electric cars dont need adjustments for lower density altitude and fuel types.....you just dial the power you want in and run your battery of choice. Nitro cars need a clutch(which needs to be physically dialed in with springs) and a 2 speed tranny (which again has to be dialed in manually).... Nitro is a delicate balance at all times....just look at the amount of successfully fast Nitro cars vs. Electric....electric usually outnumbers nitro 10:1 at most races. Theres a reason.

...Im just amazed that this Nitro setup performs so well that I can confidently put it up against any of my electric buddies and be competitive!
    Last edited by Jack@HPL; 12-19-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    http://www.facebook.com/RCDrags

RC Qualifier
    and your car runs great and is impressive i know some of my drag cars (nitros) were pretty easy the tune once you got them pretty close it was small adjustments and around me we are 50/50 nitros vs electrics so we go thru this argument almost every event but good luck to you hitting your 2.4 my friend

RC Racer
    yea I suppose some areas have a different split....but here there are SO many people in the sport....and I see mostly electric everywhere I go. Thanks for the kind words!....
    http://www.facebook.com/RCDrags

RC Qualifier
    I have been r/c drag racing for 30 years. What kills me is the nitro vs electric deal. Everybody cries like little girls. If you make it fair apples to apples it then becomes very interesting. For me it's sad to see were the sport is now. Everybody is lazy and oh can I make my slot car any smaller and lighter and put a bigger brushless in it. They might as well be slot cars. the electric guys talk smack all day long. Lets think about why? Hmmm they have a chassi that weighs nothing and they have brushless motors that make 5+ hp and thats instant power. So yea they like to pick on the nitro guy that only making 3hp and it takes while to build that hp so yes I can see were they come from and not to mention how easy it is to tune. Now lets build real scale cars and make the hp and torque and engine rpm the same now it's a different ball game its a more level playing field. Many of times I brought out my .90 rossi dragster I built wich makes 7 + hp and insane amount of torque and squashed many electric dragster that was the same size as my car or smaller. All Im saying is make it fair make it equal, then lets see. Lets put a rossi .90 in one of these 1/10 scale slot cars I call them lol. Now we are talking. Everybody likes to take the least path of resisant easer, remote controls, fast food. I would like to see a real scale drag racing class. That would be fun