RC Competitor

hard decision: rustler, player pro, or jato?

this will be my first nitro truck/car. but i had some fast electric and i learn very quickly. for my first into vehicle, i was wondering what truck would be the best/fastest. i dont want it to be borring eighter. i am going to ride it on the streets and on dirt (going to make my own track in a local unused dirt parking lot and free riding too of course), and on snow. i know the fastest one is the jato but it isnt 4x4 so it isnt good in snow or not as good for dirt as well. i know that the slayer is very good on dirt but flips easily on tarmac and the rustler is as fast as the slayer but isnt 4x4 and wont tip as easily and i read that it can get boring too.

so people, can you help me deside which one would be best for what i want to do and tell me if im wrong?

thx a lot!

RC Champion
    no idea. had the rustler, and jato. better tires and they do fairly well in the dirt. id never run a nitro in winter, but thats my preference. ive never owned a slayer. so that would be my option. ive had his bigger brother (revo) with no complaint either. sorry im not much help.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    As I own a slayer pro and rustler, I would say rustler ONLY because I have more fun driving it....lighter and faster and more stable. You can upgrade WAY MORE and you can tweet it a WHOLE LOT more than the slayer pro.

Tires are limited if you stay with the 2.8 size BUT with the rustler platform, you can convert it to the nitro slash (Fairly easy)once the parts become available...Im guessing february.

The Slayer is awesome - really cool and you can convert it to a Revo with a gear change in the tranny, tires, arms, axles and links.

I think what I'm trying to tell you is this....you cant go wrong with either but If you enjoy "tinkering", in my humble opinion, the Rustler would give you hours of fun!
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 12-10-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Old age got me again

RC Competitor
    ok thx but is there another car that is 4x4, equal or superior to 50 mph and stable?

RC Champion
    you should get the stampede 4x4 vxl

RC Champion
    Revo 3.3, slayer and t-Maxx are your choices for 4x4

RC Competitor
    the only one that actually goes fast is the slayer but it tips. is ther a buggy or a truggy that goes 50+?

RC Competitor
    so which one would you say, the jato or the rustler?

@ajcar

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie_5015 View Post
    so which one would you say, the jato or the rustler?

@ajcar
    id have to say if you got the money. a jato 3.3 is the most up to date. rustlers are upgradable for a 3.3 motor so i wont rule out that either.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

I would go Slayer if you want a nitro, that way if you want, down the road you can convert it to a Revo!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    I have both the Jato and the Slayer. once you put the sway bar kit on your slayer, the tippyness is almost completely gone, and I run mine on a lot of different surface types. My Jato is a completely different animal...with the right tires it will do OK off road, but my slayer has much more control now, and more tuneability in it. So in short, the Slayer pro will be the most truck out of all 3, but also one the one with the biggest learning curve. The Jato will be difficult to control the speed at first but on asphalt its insane fast. Also it is a pretty basic set up, making it easy to learn. Sorry no personal rustler experience....and I like to speak on experience.
    I'm crazy, no really I am.

RC Champion
    My Revos do almost 50mph, are stable on and off road.

I put a set of dirt hawgz on my jato and it ran very well on and off road with them.
    I also got a set of trenchers, but they were only good off road since the turning radius on the street was huge. Used the entire street to turn around.

I also owned a slayer, fun off road but rolled over to easy on the pavement.

RC Competitor
    so if i decide to buy the jato, are there any other upgrades besides the tires and trenchers?

btw, nice trucks!!!

RC Qualifier
    why not try the new nitro slash?
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Competitor
    if you go with the jato, I would consider upgrading the braking parts, there is a steel disc out there

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by f687s View Post
    why not try the new nitro slash?
    i say it tips over a lot, on the street

RC Competitor
    not necessarily, since it uses a different base than the slayer, it will have its own separate issues.

A Slayer, just because it's 4x4...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.