RC poster

TRX 17mm hex thread size?

Hi All,

First post on this forum, so be gentle . . .

Does anyone know the thread size for the Traxxas 17mm wheel hexes and stub axle?? Im thinking about getting some Nyloc nuts instead of the blue wheelnuts.

When I first put the hexes on, I found the nuts on the left hand side came undone quite quickly due to the vibrations. So I started putting some threadloc on the nuts. This works fine, but its a real PAIN to get all the dried threadloc off when I take the wheels off.

Just thinking it would be much easier to have a nyloc nut maybe with a spring washer behind it. Anyone know??

Cheers,
    Pete

Please watch the Language, including abbreviations.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-13-2010 at 11:22 PM.

I will attempt to get an answer later today. I assume the question is 1.00 or 1.25 mm?

Edit: my digital caliper reads 5 mm for 4 threads, so 1.25 mm pitch.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-14-2010 at 12:08 AM.

RC poster
    Firstly, my apologies for use of language.
    Thanks for the thread size. 1.25mm sounds right, the hub is 11mm so I will try to get some nylocs from my local diy store.

Thanks for your help, I will keep everyone posted on how we get on.

cheers
    pete

The nominal size of screw or bolt is typically its major diameter, or the diameter at the crest of external threads. I measure this to be 12 mm on the Traxxas hubs.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PH1
    Firstly, my apologies for use of language.
    Thanks for the thread size. 1.25mm sounds right, the hub is 11mm so I will try to get some nylocs from my local diy store.

Thanks for your help, I will keep everyone posted on how we get on.

cheers
    pete
    Pete welcome. Also alot of us use a quality 17MM socket to lock down on that locknut. The plastic tool is not sufficient. I have been using a Snap on 17mm socket for almost a year now and have not had one fall off yet.
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

I've never had a problem with either the wheel nuts coming loose or the plastic "wrench". That said, Snap-On is always a welcome addition to a tool- or pit-box. I went the easy route and bought a Craftsman deep 17 mm socket so I could use one of my "Binford" power tools for wheel removal and replacement.

In researching for original question, I saw that the reviews on the usefulness and longevity of nylock nuts were mixed, at best.

Thanks to RcPocketRocket for reminding one of his manners: Welcome to the forums, Pete.

RC Champion
    I have not had any problems with the plastic "wrench" either nut where do you get hold of the snap on ..

Thanks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    I've never had a problem with either the wheel nuts coming loose or the plastic "wrench". That said, Snap-On is always a welcome addition to a tool- or pit-box. I went the easy route and bought a Craftsman deep 17 mm socket so I could use one of my "Binford" power tools for wheel removal and replacement.

In researching for original question, I saw that the reviews on the usefulness and longevity of nylock nuts were mixed, at best.

Thanks to RcPocketRocket for reminding one of his manners: Welcome to the forums, Pete.
    +1 same with me. I have never had an issue with the plastic tool, or losing wheel nuts.

RC Champion
    Snap On tools is the Cadillac of tool manufacturers. They are found almost exclusively by private S.O. Tool truck drivers that visit the local automotive shops. Although I have a large rolling cabinet full of them from my days as an auto mechanic, I don't think I would buy them again. And I certainly would not buy them for RC work. They are too pricey for the basic sets they sell. A nice set of Craftsman tools from Sears, or Husky from Home Depot are more than nice enough, even for professional use. I actually carry a set of Stanley tools in my truck for doing home remodeling work when a socket and ratchet are needed. Snap On does make some specialty tools that are worth the price but that's on a as needed basis. Now that I'm out of the field, I have several broken sockets that I can't easily get warrantied. At least with Sears, you can just drive there, swap out the tool and leave.

As for locknuts, is there enough threads sticking out to accept them? I have 14mm on mine so I'm curious about that. My Losi Blah Blah truck has 17mm and there is only a tiny bit of threads sticking out when fully locked down. I went the Locktite route simply because I didn't think a Nylock would bite on all the way.
    Phs 2 S-Maxx build- 24/54 gears. Can U say faster?

RC Champion
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC poster
    Thanks all. When I had the problem, I had tightened the nuts with the plastic tool. Since then, I have found an old 17mm socket and ratchet. That plus locktite has been fine. I am a little reluctant to rely purely on the tightness of the wheelnut, hence I looked at nylocs. Unfortunately, all nylocs in M12 diameter are really wide, sothey won't fit. So I have found another solution which is to use shakeproof washers. I will try this and see how it goes.

Thanks again al for your help.
    Pete

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrash
    Could you elaborate a little?
    Phs 2 S-Maxx build- 24/54 gears. Can U say faster?

RC poster
    I am running a Rustler VXL with the 17mm wheel conversions on it. I have found blue loctite to be a pain so I now put teflon tape (the kind you put on a shower head threads to keep it from leaking) on all of my wheel hex nuts. I have not had a wheel come off and it is much easier to remove the wheel when needed. Hope that helps a bit.