RC Champion

Thinking of getting one!

I'm in the market for a small scale truck. I was thinking about a mini E-Revo but after seeing the video for the mini Summit, my mind is basically made up!

If I get the truck, what are some upgrades I should look at doing first? Also, I've seen people running lights on theirs. I want front, rear, and roof rack lights. Will the one's from the big Summit work or will I have to rig up my own lights?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You can steal parts from the big Summit, or work up your own harness. Traxxas has dropped the ball behind the desk on the light kit for the little guy... the product was announced as "coming soon" I think over a year ago, possibly longer.

It might be cheaper to get a Revo and buy the needed parts to mount the body and picking up a set of tires.
    A good portion of Summit owners end up changing over the arms to Revo RPM (as RPM does not and will not make them for the Summit), switching over to Revo rockers to help axles last longer, and switching over to stock Revo axles due to the weak pin design of the stock Summit.

Here is what I have done to my Revo... keep in mind that not all of these will work with the Summit, but most of them will:
    This is what I had when I very rarely walked away broke.

Steel hollow balls (7028x) to reduce slop
    3M mushroom tape along battery doors to hold the body on
    Aluminum knuckles to reduce slop and add strength (I have HR but recommend GPM or GH)
    A BlueBird 390 servo due to the stock being known to fry/strip itself
    RPM a arms at all four corners (Front-80692, Rear-80602)
    Center differential (7014) upgrade to help handle the power of
    2200mah 2S 20C LiPo's ran in parallel for ~1 hour run times
    23/50 gearing gets me to ~30mph yet keeps temps in check
    Shimmed front and rear bulkheads... *LINK*

Especially do that last part... extremely cheap preventative procedure.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Rock crawler + speed demon = awesome if only it was 1/10
    Xo-1, rusty vxl, slash brushless i love traxxas

RC Champion
    I want to buy a Summit, not a Revo. The Summit is only $10 more. Buying an converting to a Summit will be alot more than that.

I'm not concerned about RPM arms, I will just replace them if I break them. Why are the Revo rockers better? Also, if I put on Revo axles, what else do I need to change for those to work, or are those a direct replacement?

I want to get the Summit and bash it around as is, then upgrade as I break or notice weak points.

I've also seen some people running dual servos. Wouldn't it be better to just upgrade to a better, single servo?

With stock gearing, what speeds will I be getting on 2s and 3s? I plan on running 2 2s packs in parallel like you do.

Lastly, what exactly does the center diff do?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacattack98 View Post
    Rock crawler + speed demon = awesome if only it was 1/10
    Can I lock the diffs on this one with the remote like the bigger Summit?

I just saw this in the Tower Hobbies description:
    **NOTE the ESC and motor CANNOT handle dual LiPos, if using dual batteries, both must be NiMH.**

I ran dual lipos on my 1/16 Rally and people have said they run dual lipos on the Summit. Is running dual lipos safe?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-09-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: post merge

The rockers are to reduce drive line angle... the stock Revo shafts are not up to the task of such sever angles, neither are the stock Summits, really. Even aftermarket axles break quite frequently with the LT rockers on.

"I've also seen some people running dual servos. Wouldn't it be better to just upgrade to a better, single servo?"
    In my opinion, yes. A single servo completely eliminates the possibility of the two servos fighting to the death.

The center diff basically sends power to the axle with the least traction... sounds like it is something you do not want, but for what I do with my RC, I like it; a lot. It also helps my axles last longer by reducing shock load.

Here is a speed calculator.
    I have another from a member of a different forum in Excel format if you want to PM me.

The 16th does NOT have remote locking differentials.
    BUT, Traxxas does sell a part that once installed, locks the differentials.

Running LiPo's in series is not acceptable with the stock power system... parallel is fine though. Not sure why the warning says "dual" and does not use proper terminology.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 12-09-2012 at 07:09 PM.

RC Qualifier
    if it were me, I would buy the revo unless you really like the look of the summit body. Revo is less prone to break. I only bought the mini summit as it looks more like daddys monster truck otherwise i would have bought a revo if it was for me.

RC Qualifier
    hey for shimming, you just shim on one side right? just 3 shims between the bearing and the teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    You can steal parts from the big Summit, or work up your own harness. Traxxas has dropped the ball behind the desk on the light kit for the little guy... the product was announced as "coming soon" I think over a year ago, possibly longer.

It might be cheaper to get a Revo and buy the needed parts to mount the body and picking up a set of tires.
    A good portion of Summit owners end up changing over the arms to Revo RPM (as RPM does not and will not make them for the Summit), switching over to Revo rockers to help axles last longer, and switching over to stock Revo axles due to the weak pin design of the stock Summit.

Here is what I have done to my Revo... keep in mind that not all of these will work with the Summit, but most of them will:
    This is what I had when I very rarely walked away broke.

Steel hollow balls (7028x) to reduce slop
    3M mushroom tape along battery doors to hold the body on
    Aluminum knuckles to reduce slop and add strength (I have HR but recommend GPM or GH)
    A BlueBird 390 servo due to the stock being known to fry/strip itself
    RPM a arms at all four corners (Front-80692, Rear-80602)
    Center differential (7014) upgrade to help handle the power of
    2200mah 2S 20C LiPo's ran in parallel for ~1 hour run times
    23/50 gearing gets me to ~30mph yet keeps temps in check
    Shimmed front and rear bulkheads... *LINK*

Especially do that last part... extremely cheap preventative procedure.

The number of shims varies from RC to RC. I cannot tell you how many you will need.
    Shims only go on one side... and the location is covered in the link provided.

Be sure to read the entire thread. Lots of information in there.

RC Champion
    I went to my shop the other day and bought a Mini E-Revo.

I have a thread in that section, so please add your input.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The number of shims varies from RC to RC. I cannot tell you how many you will need.
    Shims only go on one side... and the location is covered in the link provided.

Be sure to read the entire thread. Lots of information in there.
    yea, just wanted to make sure it was one side