RC Competitor

2.5r post breakin issues

Ok so I just broke in a new piston and sleeve on my 2.5r. Took it out to tune it yesterday, idled and ran low rpm just fine while it warmed up (in the low 40's here in Texas). When I would give it WOT it woulnd sputter and just stop!!! LOTS OF SMOKE. Even when I leaned it way down to where it wouldn't run and nearly richened it up so that it would run, I got lots of smoke and just shut off. Starts right back up and idles fine. No amount of adjustments seemedto remedy this. Any thoughts??????

RC Competitor
    ur to lean bro. being in the low 40's ur gonna wanna richen it up. put in a new glow plug too. after breaking in ur piston an sleeve maye gettin bad. what are ur temps?
    revo 3.3 tmaxx 3.3 ofna hyper 7

RC Qualifier
    I would try a glow plug, and see what happens. You may also have to wrap your cooling head to get the temp up.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Competitor
    I broke in with temps in the 60's, wrapped the head with a childs sock, temps at break in 210-225. Max temps now around 235, and yes new glow plug as of yesterday. You sure it could be lean???? Its smoking like a freight train!!!! And I did fatten it up almost 2 turns from factory at one point!

RC Competitor
    whats ur pinch test on LSN? shud be 3 second. usually when my LSN is to lean it wil do what urs is doing. do u have ur idle gap set at .007 to .10? i like to use a broke off piece of credit card. u are adjusting everything at half tank right?
    revo 3.3 tmaxx 3.3 ofna hyper 7

RC Qualifier
    What kinda glow plugs are you running? Also you might make sure your fuel lid seal is good, it could idle and not hold enough pressure for more than idle. Are you running an in line filter? I had a similar problem with an inline filter. What condition are your fuel lines in? Exhaust header tight, and coupler not torn, and sealing good. It will probably be something stupid when you figure it out, and will for sure be the last thing that you check. LOL
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Competitor
    Fuel is maybe a month old 3/4 gallon traxxas 20%, kept indoors. Traxxas 3232x plug, its all I run. Everything mentioned I had apart cleaning and replacing when I put in the new piston and sleeve. Ran good during break in and didn't have this problem during the WOT portion of break in??? The only change was the temps??? Anyway im going to teardown and recheck, gotta be something stupid!!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I would recheck everthing, because you had it all apart. Keep us posted I bet it is something stupid.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec