RC Racer

2.5 to a lrp z.28!

Ordered a lot of stuff in the past couple days to get this conversion going.

I already converted it to a 3.3 minus the 3.3 motor. Still going to get the Robinson racing wide ratio steel gear set and steel drive shafts too. Looking on getting an extended 3.3 chassis to make it a little bit longer than the stock 3.3 chassis. All I've seen is the vantage carbon fiber chassis with longer steel center shafts. Any company make an aluminum version?
    Here it sits as of now...

RC Champion
    I don't think the traxxas mount will work with that motor unless you make it a bump start. There's not enough clearance for the pull start.
    Rustler-3.3,Revo-Hyper .21,Jato-3.3
    lots of mods

RC Racer
    Its actually a new era big block motor mount. The seller didn't know what it was. So a pull start will fit.

RC Racer
    I ordered the wrong clutch bell tho...

I'm looking for a hardened steel clutch bell in 17-18 tooth for the 8ight clutch....

RC Competitor
    yes that is a new era mount..good find and great price..i was looking for one for a while and just recently got my new era mount..im all ready for my winter project...was the throttle linkage and little plate that goes on top of mount included?

RC Racer
    The little plate and throttle linkage wasn't included. The seller said the mount was never used or had a motor bolted to it. I bought the jato linkage and I think I can get it to work. The plate I will make probably out of steel.

Hopefully everything will be here by Friday.

Going to order E-Revo diff cups too.. should I run the E-Revo spider gears with the I bar or can I assemble it with the 3.3 diff parts?

RC Racer
    Man its taking forever for my parts to come in... the motor mount the guy said it was sent back to him and he resent it out yesterday... the exhaust was suppose to be here yesterday.... I ordered a tekno 18t 1/8 clutch bell and it don't fit the 8ight clutch... but I got the motor!!!
    Last edited by ausher1880; 12-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.

RC Racer
    Got the mount. Still waiting on the exhaust, another clutch bell which better be the right one this time, and air filter... contemplating whether or not to order the RR steel wide ratio gear set or wait for next check. I gotta move the transmission forward because the clutch bell is bigger.

The linkage bracket and the throttle assembly I made. works great.
    Last edited by ausher1880; 12-15-2012 at 09:48 PM.

RC Racer
    Got...
    LRP Z.28 S3
    New Era big block motor mount
    3.3 chassis
    Robinson Racing steel wide ratio gears (just ordered them dang impulse buy!)
    Slayer pro receiver and battery box
    SportWerks 053 side exhaust pipe
    RPM a arms
    E-Revo diff cups
    TRX aluminum pushrods and turnbuckles
    GTR Teflon coated shocks with TiN coated shafts
    Robinson Racing steel slipper spur
    18 tooth clutch bell

Still need to get...

Steel center shafts
    Steel drive shafts or I may go with Summit drive shafts
    Two high torque servos
    Different tires and rims
    Tekno hi capacity tank kit
    I think that's it...
    Last edited by ausher1880; 12-16-2012 at 02:10 AM.

RC Racer
    Roll bar I made to protect that pretty cooling head. The mail man better drop off the pipe today!!!

I really had to hack up the body to make everything fit
    Last edited by ausher1880; 12-18-2012 at 09:31 AM.

RC Racer
    Just wait till you get it running. I know what its like not having a LHS. Closest hobby shop to me is 97 miles way. I had to order all my Spec 3 conversion parts offline. It's all worth it though when you get to drive it. It's a monster.

RC Racer
    The lhs is about 20 miles from be, but he pretty much just carries OEM parts no aftermarket stuff. Buddy going to lend me his exhaust.

RC Racer
    Got the exhaust. The original exhaust I ordered disappeared at some post office. According to the tracking number it was processed on the 8th and never left. The eBay store gave me a $50 credit for another exhaust all they had was the jammin jp-1
    Was hoping the Robinson Racing steel wide ratio gear set was here too...

I may have to split the header pipe and add a coupler to make some room for the pipe. Or maybe I'll heat it up and bend it...

RC Competitor
    Hi ive just brought a lrp z28r spec 2 im hoping to put in my revo 3.3 could i use the traxxas big block conversion kit or will i need to everything you have done. I know i cant make my own mounts and stuff like you have ( awsome by the way ) my revo have a rc solutions roll cage and foc fitted. If anyone can help me with this ide be very greatful im starting a thread on it.

RC Racer
    Yes you can use the Traxxas BB mount, but you can't use a pull start with it so you'll need a starter box.
    If it ain't broke, fix it till it is! BB Revo

RC Qualifier
    Have you gotten to bash that thing yet what are you breaking if anything
    drive it like you stole it

RC Racer
    Only thing that broke is a rim. Must of hit something. Haven't ran it hard yet. Barely broke in. Been too cold and I've been trying to take it easy. I can't wait for all this snow to melt...

RC Qualifier
    Ya my tm523 is breaking things left and right

RC Racer

Don't have to worry about gears breaking. Just everything else connected to it. The snow and ice is keeping parts from breaking. I'm sure when it all melts parts will be breaking.

RC Qualifier
    Ya I did the rr tranny gears I just keep breaking the pins in it that hold the gears

RC Qualifier
    These LRP engines are epic! Your gonna have a tough time keeping wheels on ground with a 2.5 chassis! keep your eyes out on ebay, can usually get the between 5 and 10 dollars, wont help heaps but it will help!

I've got the LRP .32 BB on my beast, its ridiculously powered. i've also got the RR standard ratio gears, 18t vented hardened steel clutch bell and the RR slipper. Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but i would recommend once u are happy with slipper tension to but something on that will secure the slipper tension nut. mine and others i have read seem to come loose, fine one second, slipping the next. I found a dab of locktite works well.

The LRP .32 has eaten out 2nd gear of my RR tranny before, slipper was to tight and was basically direct drive. the fact remains it broke a steel gear.... :O Only ever broken one tranny pin in my revo's life, standard or modified.

your gonna love it dude!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do58Hk_ANFs
    Last edited by detoboy1; 01-01-2013 at 09:24 PM.

RC Racer
    I did put a o ring between the two concave washers and loc tited the nut because it did come loose and wouldn't shift into second. I'm thinking of picking up the .30 or .32 as a backup. I like the zr.30x because of the higher rpm.

I never heard of anyone destroying a RR gear. Hope I don't have that happen. I think my slipper is adjusted just right. Still wheelies, but slips enough to not break anything, but I haven't pushed it hard enough yet.

RC Qualifier
    if it slipping u shouldnt break anything. i usually run on dirt or gravel 99% of the time and like the direct drive feel, rather wheels be burning out than the slipper. i broke my gear on some unforgiving asphalt.