Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Then you can get him one of these:

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    One of the best Dirt Trax TV videos ever!!!!

RC Champion
    Definitely! Look out pave... hes going to take your job! He memorized his lines and everything?
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

ok so i havent been on the forum in awhile but heres a little update for everyone......

so i finally got to ride my friends more stock 400ex and its deffinately not out of the question. only thing i wish is that the clutch lever was lighter.... which can be changed easily, and that the quad was a little longer for the amount of power. overall though i was very happy on his slightly upgraded 2005 400ex. it has an hmf exhaust on it, and has been re jetted and thats it. i got pics i can post up to from our riding.

and now the big news.......................

I HAVE MY OWN QUAD NOW!

i ended up getting it from a guy i work with and hes even letting me do payments on it.

its an 87 Honda 250x

now i knew going into this that it needed work so i cant complain to much. it smoked and had some transmission issues but was only $400. first gear was there then gone then there and gone again. second gear worked fine, no third gear at all, fourth gear worked fine, and it didnt even attempt to go into fifth. but reverse still worked to.

so the quad is over at my buddies house who is the big honda guru lol. but we started tearing it apart and we found a few things.

long story short it needs a full rebuild almost from the ground up in the engine (which we originally thought was just valves needing adjusted). but we did figure out why it was lacking gears. there was a couple of important thrust washer completely missing (engines been opened up before) on the transmission counter shaft as well as 2 gears on backwards. but after a few parts being ordered from honda and all i have all 5 forward gears now along with reverse. and on the bright side after finding it needed a full rebuild he lowered the price down to $300 for me. so that was pretty awesome.

there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Those are a decent bike, i used to have the three-wheeler version, 86 if i remember correctly. Best part about those bikes is that last time i checked, honda was still using the same platform in 2011 as the trx300ex. So the parts and upgrades available for that quad are plentiful to say the least. I had read that you can also stroke that motor and bring it up to 390cc which would be intense on that frame. Good luck with the rebuild.

http://www.atvrideronline.com/featur...r/viewall.html

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Competitor
    Might be way off but I love my ds650. Bought it brand new and the thing was run hard for along time with out no issues. For the money you got yours for put it back together and enjoy it.

video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krEoux2_Nb0

gone I think 3 miles plus on a wheelie

RC poster
    i am a atv/motorcycle mechanic. Its basically going to boil down to what you want to use it for. IMO, for an ATV that you can go out on all day, have fun with, and maybe even take ur girl along, i have to recommend the Suzuki 500 AXi with power steering. (or the 750 if you have the money) We work on FAR less of these, and the problems they normally have are owner induced. hardly ever do you have a electrical problem on one. they also have some matte paint jobs that are SICK. btw.. this ATV looks AWESOME with big wheels and tires.. the body lines are aggressive enough that big wheels and tires make it look right. google for some pics!

if your looking to have a blast on one, and go out and run 100 mph. DO NOT buy a new one. they are over priced when you can go buy a used one with some work for 2-3 grand. new or used, I have to go with the Raptor 750 with fuel injection. nothing else really compares right now.

if you want something to take the family out on, and you have kids.. then i have to say, spend the money and get the 4 seat Teryx. upgrades out the ying yang, as much horsepower as you want to buy, the chassis and running gear are built like a tank, and they aren't selling alot so you can get a good rebate on one that's been sitting a while.. not to mention there is room for camping gear and a cooler. i plan on buying one when me and the old lady have a kid in the 4-6 year old range. (which will be AT LEAST 5-7 years from now LOL)

Good luck
    Last edited by MX_Designs; 01-24-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by racerkilla View Post
    Might be way off but I love my ds650. Bought it brand new and the thing was run hard for along time with out no issues. For the money you got yours for put it back together and enjoy it.

video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krEoux2_Nb0

gone I think 3 miles plus on a wheelie
    3 miles is 15,840ft or 4,828m, did you get it on tape? Because thats over double the tandem wheelie world record. Ill check what the solo one is.

According to Guinness:

The longest tandem ATV wheelie measured 2,029.97m (6,660 ft) and was completed by Roger LeBlanc and Jeff Gallant (both Canada) at Riverglade Speedway in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, on 12 November 2011.

Not satisfied with just breaking the record, Le Blanc and Gallant managed to cover a distance over 8 times longer than the previous record holder.

Edit: i cant seem to find the record for a solo rear wheel wheelie, only for a side wheelie.

The longest individual ATV side-wheelie measured 22.30 km (13.85 miles) and was completed by Travis Pastrana (USA) at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah, USA, on 18 November 2008 for the MTV show 'Nitro Circus'.

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!

P2DE(S) - P4DE - EMAXX - FUNNY CAR - MERV
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 01-24-2013 at 11:46 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Qualifier
    Polaris 550. Not to expensive, but not to cheap either. Both for work and play!!! On demand All Wheel Drive too. My grandpa has one and it is a superb machine. I take it hunting through the rutty fields, tow cut down trees through his orchards, and sometimes just go on a joy ride. I have put over half the miles on his. P.S. They are pretty good a drifting too.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Competitor
    this is a mile long on a back road by my house with hills and pot holes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeqEpEX2ysQ

I have done 3 miles on a wide two lane main road near my house that is pretty straight. Once you get to about 55-60 mph in 4th I can go as far as the road will let me minus sharp corners or intersections.

ok a few things.................

baldy, thats a pretty sweet little right up you bought there. what makes it even better is that my friend owns a warrior lol.

racerkilla, thats some nice wheelie skills you got there man. i dont think i could ever ride a wheelie that good lol. i just can never seem to find the balance point. doesnt matter if im on a quad, bicycle or what. just doesnt work for me lol.

now for both of you together............ stop arguing now please, go pm eachother or something if you want to continue fighting about wheelies before my thread gets shut lol.

and now its update time: so i already placed the one order to honda for my missing thrust washers and such so now i have all gears again. and the other day i placed my second and hopefully last order directly to honda (expensive) for another washer i was questioning on the reverse idler shaft. also bought the inner and outer rotors of the oil pump since they are the ones that wear down the most. its better to be safe then sorry i feel. oh and last but not least i got a snap ring on the kick start shaft that was already all messed up before we touched it. so those parts should be in wed or thursday.

and

just now i placed my order for a full honda oem gasket kit off ebay which says that estimated delivery time is also thursday. so as long as everything comes in then i can atleast get the main case halves put back together. gotta keep making that progress!
    Drag It!

oh and before i placed the order for the full gasket kit i forgot to mention that the seller had ordered new bars for his quad and offered me his old ones for only $10. he thought they were just stockers.......... but............

They are not stock kfx 400 bars................... there 909 bars i dont know how good that makes them, but for only $10 how much can i really ask for? lol

i like how they sit up a little higher being on a smaller quad they feel so much better since i dont have to lean over to them as much

Drag It!

ok, so realize ive been slacking on the pics. but i finally got them uploaded so here ya go everyone.

heres my new washer for the reverse idler shaft, new snap ring for the kick start shaft, and the outer rotor for the oil pump (inner is still on back order at the moment). and after comparing the washer it was deffinately nowhere close to the right one.

i love when packages show up.......... it feels like christmas lol

so the packaging is namura but the gaskets are stamped D&K?

cleaning out some case halves

it all works again thankfully

i had to put brent to work some lol

case halves back together and going back in the quad!

Drag It!

and although it may seem like hes the one doing all the work from the pics its because of 2 reasons........... first being that i cant take a picture of myself working very easily. the second being that im still new to this so im learing as i go and brent (slammedRanger) is teaching me lol.

heres one with me in it finally lol

took the piston off, then i took it to work and cleaned it up with the parts washer to keep it.

so a timing chain is supposed to have this much side to side play right? lol

shoving her back in the corner for the night

and thats that for the moment.

so how u guys liking the progress?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    lookin good. bet you cant wait for the first run. shoot bet you have to breaker in first also. was thinking of takin out my warrior for some snow fun tomorrow. gotta love quads. lol peace
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

so as weird as this is about to sound my friend told me this. he was told by a professional factory racer that when they rebuild an engine the heat cycle it x amount of times then give it to him and tell him to ride it like he stole it. he asks isnt that wrong? arnt you supposed to break them in easy? they said they have done research and have found a 20% increase or decrease in power. if you just take off like a bat out of you know what it will have more power then if you baby it first.

so......... i know what im doing!

but yeah, i cant wait lol
    Drag It!

well once again brent couldnt get traction and my tires ended up on his quad.............. funny how that works hugh?

all in all though it was a solid long fun weekend. worked from 7-noon sat, came home showered went over to brents house with the intentions of working on my quad but instead i meant him at his friends where we decided to ride his at. i flipped his 400ex over in a field and then we shortly after proceed to get our drink on if you know what i mean. lol finally went to bed about 5am this morning to wake back up at 10. then we rode the quad some more and went back to brents to finally work on mine lol. but basically the left side of the engine is more or less done now.

now i just gotta get my other part of oil pump im waiting on, timing chain and what not, as well as the clutch and then the other side can go back on as well.
    Drag It!

ok...... just a little update here. the inner rotor for my oil pump came in today and i went to pick it up on lunch break.
    Drag It!

another small update...............

so my buddy brent was able to get the jug over to the machine shop the other day for me and............... basically i dont know if i can get away with just .020 over because the cylinder is not even round anymore, its in an oval lol. to be safe it has to go .040 over so thats what i shall do. only going to cost me $45 for the bore and hone and preperation of all the rings.
    Drag It!

well more progress was made this weekend. nothing to major really as far as actual work. i cleaned up the final passenger side of the engine (clutch cover). which meant pulling out the old oil filter as well. it had a gasket like it was supposed to and everything for the oil filter but for some reason they decided to put on a bunch of rtv over top of all that. the oil filter was on backwards and its clearly labeled on it in big letter this side out and the other side says this side in.......... oh and the spring in there was missing as well. found out that both the o rings on the drivers side access holes to set the timing were gone so i got some in place there as well.

i removed the reverse cable and plan to mod it like moose did on his. i removed the parking brake cable that was all melted and of course didnt work like on every quad. i pulled the oil pump apart and replaced both the inner and outer rotors...... man were they pretty eaten up over the years........ the case parts of the pump had a little wear but nothing to serious luckily. just some lightly visible rings from the rotors spinning. i removed the stock clutch lever, and i think thats about it really. got some parts on the way as well and says that they should all be here on either thursday or friday.

parts ordered:

D.I.D timing chain
    E.B.C. dirt racers full clutch kit
    good condition timing chain guide........... to replace my bad one
    757 parking brake block off plate
    easy pull clutch lever
    oil filter cover with spring and bolts.............. because my spring is missing

so i can officially say its really coming together now. ill be ordering more parts pretty much every weekend until my tax return comes in then i will order the rest of what i need. but theres not a whole lot left at this point to order.

edit: also want to add that i was in need of grips but i found my odi grips from when i raced bmx years ago. i bought them lightly used from a friend but never ran them myself. all the screws were messed up so they need replaced but i did see just the clamps on ebay with screws so im in debate of weather to just get those or buy the whole new grip set lol. but ill probly just get clamps for now. also have some pics to post as soon as i upload them.
    Last edited by 08kgraves; 02-17-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    Drag It!

inner rotor came in a few days ago

old oil pump parts on top..... new ones on the bottom

did a little re- organizing............

the ODI grips that i have already

Drag It!

so some solid work went in tonight. the whole bottom end is officially back together in the 250x. grips are on now, parking brake block off is on. still need to run wire for reverse mod. picking up oil filter in the am. oil is in the quad. piston is on the way, manual timing chain tentioner is on the way, and carb rebuild kit is on the way as well. easy pull clutch lever is here in town but didnt register in time to pick up so now have to wait until monday.

lame

ill get some more pics up probably at the end of the weekend. tomorrow were gonna go riding slammedRangers 400ex and my other friends in town with his warrior.
    Drag It!