Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

four wheeler experts look here please.

ok so ive been wanting a quad for awhile now and i was wondering if maybe some of you could help me find the one to look for thats right for me.

im not opposed to either 2wd or 4wd. i dont want a total torque monster like a 400ex. i want something more mid range for torque and id like to be able to go around 60mph. not opposed to faster but basically just dont want it to be slower. my buddy said torque wise i would want a 300ex but he said they top out super low and only go like 40mph.

so what do you guys think? im not looking for brand new by far either. i was thinking myabe a rapter 350 or something. any suggestions?
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Canam 800, that's what I got!
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

anything that big sound to pricey for me lol.

i should also note that im cheap to a point lol
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    Do you have any experience on quads? If so then dont get something youll get bored with... 400ex is a great quad and VERY reliable. You can buy different pipes to change where the HP hit comes from, weather bottom end grunt or mid range pull. Find a good 400ex for 1500-2000 bucks. I had a 300ex and warrior350(now raptor 350) out grew the 300ex quickly altho great little bulletproof quad. Warrior wasnt bad tranny just seemed sketchy from the get go... Still wasnt nearly as fun/fast/comfortable as the 400ex tho. Course nothing beats my honda 450r :P

RC Champion
    Get a dirtbike....way more fun and requires a lot more skill to drive.
    YZ450f is what you need.
    "I like rc cars"....."WHAT? YOU'RE KIDDING!"

RC Qualifier
    KTM 300 better than YZ

RC Champion
    Typical traxxas forums lol. someone asks a question with specific deatils and instead of trying to come up with something that meets their specific wants or needs, people suggest an entirely different object. PM pavementsurfer or wait until he replies to this thread. If I had to guess, I'd say he's got the most expertise when it comes to atvs on these forums.
    To the men and women of the US military, thank you

RC Champion
    I feel 4wds are the way to go. They can be fun and do a ton of work at the same time. They also dont get stopped by mud, trees, or the occasional small car. The 400cc models wont go much faster than 50mph so if your not happy with 40's then you would want something with a larger engine. If you do go with a 4wd just be careful at higher speeds. Also there are tons to choose from and unlike the 2wd's they dont get beat to death and have a big price thrown on them.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    4wd for sure, 2wd sucks unless your racing. I have a yamaha 450 and 700 the 450 is great and would be what I would recommend to you but if you want more power and speed and torque go with the 700! They are both 4x4 utility quads and are great workhorses but yet I also take them on the trails and go mudding and crawling as well. If you would like pics I could possibly take some otherwise you can find what I am talking about on google images.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Yes, 4x4 is the way to go if you want to have a unit with more uses than just recreation, but on the other hand the 4x4 will be cost more to buy, more complex and expensive to repair and will require repairs more often than a 2wd. I'm no expert and far from a pro rider, but i own a couple 350 4x4 quads (yamaha big bear & honda rancher) that i run strictly for fun and a couple little 2wd youth 110cc's for my 5yr old son. I shattered the front diff housing on the yamaha a few years back and for a year i ran it as a 2wd and i didnt really have any less fun when running it as a 2wd, but it was not a lot of fun when i had to fork the bill to have it repaired and returned to 4x4. Would it be nice to have a $10,000+ CanAm? Absolutely, but even though i have the means to buy one doesnt make me feel like i need to, or should. My 350 quads top out around 40-45 which is plenty fast for me as a recreational rider and dont see that kind of speed very often because i run with my son and his quads. If you aspire to be a pro rider and compete and plan to make a career of riding than the CanAm is the quad you want, but if you just want some fun with family or friends, imo a 350-400cc 4x4 would be plenty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent from Baldy's iPad using your wireless signal. Thanks!
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC Racer
    I have the YFZ-450, the 700 Raptor. Both awesome quads but each has it's own qualities. 450 is outright a fast bike. Great for the dunes, and flat out desert riding. Jumps great, light and easy to throw around in the air if you get sideways. The 700 is also a great bike for the dunes and desert riding. It's heavier, rides smoother but not my favorite quad for busting out huge jumps. But when we trail ride. I take the 700 because it has reverse. Bigger fuel tank and it's Fuel Injected. It boils down to what type of riding/terrain suits you.

RC Qualifier
    I just say go look at them all. Then decide

ok to try and answer everyones replies at once and hopefully in order.

yes i have plenty of experience riding quads. ive had 2 for brief periods of time. the first was an 87 honda 250x, plenty of power for my needs and enough top speed as well. it would outrun my friends late 90's 250ex witch was partial manual (no clutch just shift). it had higher top speed and faster acceleration all around. but............... turns out the person who sold it to me did not have the right to sell it to me so i had to return it and i got my money back. my second one which i traded last winter was an 87 kawasaki mojave. if you dont know mojave's the intake valves were to soft of a metal and would start to tullip (suck down into the engine) and cause a big lack in power. both were 250cc quads. but ive ridden plenty of friends quads over the years. blasters, raptors, rancher 250's and 350's both, and my friends yfz450 which was built up and another friends 400ex that was built up. the one with the 400ex is the buddy i was refering to. his old one was just way way to much bottom end for what i wanted. hes just a little guy where im like 265lbs. and his would keep trying to just stand strait up on me. it was more annoying than anything really. he got rid of it though and now he has a bone stock 05 400ex. havent ridden it yet so maybe that one would be more to my likings. i guess ill just have to ride it and find out.

as for the next 2 posts in a row, i dont want a dirtbike what so ever had some before and was never a fan of them. so when i ask about what four wheelers people suggest theres really no need to even say "well get a dirtbike" i dont want one, end of story.

as for your reply reaper, i agree 4x4 is nice especially for mudding in deep mud. but at the same time theres nothing i would be riding that a 2wd should really fight me on getting through. in my old 250x i was going through mud pits as high as the seat almost fully submurged and never had an issue. its all about knowing how to ride and not get stuck as well though. the 350 rancher i rode would go 58mph though. i know this just because it had a spedometer on it lol.

again 2wd is all i really need. i mean i do live out in the country but most of my riding would be open fields, already cleared trails in woods, or fairly cleared out woods that are small enough i could still easily make my own path even with just 2wd.

deffinately not looking to be a pro rider, pure recreation is my purpose, just to ride not even work. theres 4x4 trucks for that. and i know what you mean by the 4x4's requiring more maintenace more often. my buddy had a polaris sportsman 500 that just always broke things for almost no reason at all.

as for needing to jump there will be almost none at all. i just enjoy trail riding through woods, crossing small small creeks and open fields. i mean ill catch a foot or two of air here and there but its just not my thing. might be because im scared of heights, idk. i used to race bmx and would catch massive air at times. i think my addrenaline pumping was the only reason i didnt just chicken out and bail mid air lol.

and last but not least is yours crawler. ive looked alot. ive been looking for years lol. i just mostly wanted to know what everyones opinions and recomendations are and if theres anything i should avoid due to just being complete junk.
    Drag It!

heres a pic of the one time i got my mojave stuck. and that just because i wasnt paying attention and cross rutted.

Drag It!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Now that looks like me down here. LOL I have a Honda Rancher ES-350, bought it brand new in 2000 and own it still today. Been kept in a garage and taken care of all its life. I take it out a few times a month and have a blast. Still original tires and such. Believe it has 2,000+ miles and maybe 300hrs, something like that. Tires look new but the nubbies are nearly gone. LOL

I've driven a handful of different ones. The one i had the most fun on was a 250EX 3 wheeler. I loved dumping the clutch on that machine. It was a blast to drive. I tore into it all myself had it bored out and a new piston. That sucker had some awesome top end. Only bad thing it went 65mph and no brakes. Nothing I'd suggest anyone doing. I was young then. You could drive those bikes practically anywheres.

I have always wanted a BRP ( Can -am ). They are just HOT. LOL Maybe one of these days or if I sell all my RC's off.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

ive actually ridden a 250ex three wheeler.......... ironically enough with no brakes lol. and yes it was fun, but not advisable by any means lol.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    Canam 800, that's what I got!
    Wait what? How could you even suggest that bike. You may as well ride a utility 4x4.
    Sl4sh mmp2400 - savage flux hp XL - vorza flux hp

RC Qualifier
    Utility that goes 100 mph and never gets stuck!

i couldnt complain to much for what i paid for the quad. it was fun to put around on for the most part.

and heres my friends old 400ex

Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    Utility that goes 100 mph and never gets stuck!
    that would be pretty legit, but so un needed
    Drag It!

my favorite pic of my mojave

and for the record there was zero ruts or standing water before i started lol

the one i cross rutted that did me in lol

Drag It!

RC Champion
    Most of my 4 wheeling has been done on a 1999 kawasaki prairie 400. Its not the fastest or the most powerful but it has never skipped a beat. Be it cruising down the trail or hauling a 4 place snowmobile trailer around the yard full of brush. It also has an amazing ability to run on empty for the longest time. I look at it as a multi purpose vehicle. There is very little it cant do and since your not big on jumping a 4x4 should do everything you want it to and more. For example you could put a plow on it and make a little extra money in the winter plowing drives. But what it comes down to is personal taste and the budget. If you can get a 4x4 and like then you should. If you rather get a 2wd for just driving around then that's good to and may be cheaper.

Also my prairie has never had engine or drive train trouble. But its the older style with a straight axle. The newer independent setups may be more expensive to own. I have not had to live with one.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

yeah i wouldnt be out in the winter anyway since im allergic to the cold, and alot of people just have snow blowers around here anyway lol. ill probably just end up going 2wd unless i come across a good price on a 4x4.

but as far as 2wd goes............ any in mind around the power of a 400ex or just under? that are reliable as well?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    i got a 02 warrior, and it is a blast. dg exhaust, and maxxis rear tires. it slings the mud thats for sure. not a fast quad. gearing could help, but im a trail rider. not a speeder. never has failed me in the 7 years i owned it. plus it still looks new. it does sit under a tarp alot in the garage.

winter time it is awesome
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You shouldnt write off the 400EX so quickly. It is by NO means a torque monster. The 400EX is probably one of the most mild full size 2X4 ATVs out there right now. The Raptor 350 isnt really a good choice as your a full size adult and its pretty underpowered. Especially if youve run a 250 2 stroke in the past.
    The only other bikes id suggest if you want a 2X4 sport STYLE ATV with a manual clutch would be raptor 700 (sure, lots of power, but its VERY useable and can be ridden every bit as smooth as any 400) or a Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS... the Polaris is, hands down, the best sport style trail bike ever made. The IRS makes it super smooth and because it has huge ground clearance (no solid axle hanging down) it can go through mud many 4X4s struggle with.

I dont want to sound like a know it all or a jerk but man, the Honda Rancher 350 can NOT go 58mph. Ive tested a bunch of them and while the Honda 350 motor isnt bad, it aint that fast.

Stay away from all 450's. High maintenance, sharp power bands, not trail rider/mud rider friendly. Ive ridden dozens of 450's on the trail and, given better options, they are not a good choice.

I have ridden ever sport style ATV on the market today and in the past 10 years. Took a trip to California this past summer to ride Honda sport ATVs at a motorcross facility and in at the Pismo beach dunes. I was VERY impressed by the 400EX (now called the 400X, but same thing). FWIW, heres a link to the test ride I did on that bike:

450R

Raptor 700

Polaris 525 IRS

Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I know you probably wouldn't want one that we have.. Polaris 700 twin sportsman 4x4, and you might be a little big for our predator 90, I know I'm almost to big for it..
    the 700 will move for it's size.. it would do 60 easily, I've only done 45 or so with it, don't want to blow the tires off...that would end very badly.
    I can hook up a car trailer to the 700 and pull it around the yard easily, can even back with it as well... sinks the rear end quite a bit but it will do it, with no car on the trailer that is..
    there's not much that it won't do.. it's done everything I've asked it to do!
    Polaris is the way to go!!
    Last edited by ithrowstones; 12-09-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    Never trust a fart.

60mph is a pretty tall order in the ATV world. 55mph is pretty standard for your mid bore ATV's of pretty much any style. 60 is possible in some situations but you need to go up beyond 500cc's to get 60+ easily.

Many many many (most) people THINK their ATV does 60mph or brags about how their ATV goes "THIS" fast... but, an actual GPS measurement proves that it doesnt.

A Can-Am 1000 will do almost 80... so will a polaris sportsman 850. The arctic cat thundercat is slow, the grizzly isnt a bullet either. Arctic cats 500 and up bikes are all pretty soft but their 450 is really fast (over 50mph).

Most 450 class sport ATVs will do 60+... The raptor is a rocket. The Raptor 350 is a 40-43mph bike. The 400X (or 400EX) is fast for what it has under the hood. Id guess somewhere in the mid 50's. Its an impressive ATV all round and I think its the one the OP should seriously consider.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    You shouldnt write off the 400EX so quickly. It is by NO means a torque monster. The 400EX is probably one of the most mild full size 2X4 ATVs out there right now. The Raptor 350 isnt really a good choice as your a full size adult and its pretty underpowered. Especially if youve run a 250 2 stroke in the past.
    The only other bikes id suggest if you want a 2X4 sport STYLE ATV with a manual clutch would be raptor 700 (sure, lots of power, but its VERY useable and can be ridden every bit as smooth as any 400) or a Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS... the Polaris is, hands down, the best sport style trail bike ever made. The IRS makes it super smooth and because it has huge ground clearance (no solid axle hanging down) it can go through mud many 4X4s struggle with.

I dont want to sound like a know it all or a jerk but man, the Honda Rancher 350 can NOT go 58mph. Ive tested a bunch of them and while the Honda 350 motor isnt bad, it aint that fast.

Stay away from all 450's. High maintenance, sharp power bands, not trail rider/mud rider friendly. Ive ridden dozens of 450's on the trail and, given better options, they are not a good choice.

I have ridden ever sport style ATV on the market today and in the past 10 years. Took a trip to California this past summer to ride Honda sport ATVs at a motorcross facility and in at the Pismo beach dunes. I was VERY impressed by the 400EX (now called the 400X, but same thing). FWIW, heres a link to the test ride I did on that bike:

450R

Raptor 700

Polaris 525 IRS

why you say warrior is under powered. im almost insulted. my warrior keeps up to any 400ex. your quads are out of most peoples price range. i only paid 1500 bucks for mine. i bet it cost 1500 bucks a year in gas for that 700 raptor.

^^ This is the problem with asking ANY public forum for advice, especially when it comes to powersports. No one EVER wants to admit there MAY be a better choice than the one they made. Im not in any way biased to one ATV over another. I dont own any of them so I dont care which is best. Getting offended by a comment like that is not reasonable. Have you been able to test nearly every sport quad on the market in the past 10 years? I have. I speak from vast experience, not just my personal opinion and feelings about one or two or ever 5 or 10 models.

I didnt say the warrior is underpowered... but I should have. You have to realize its a very old 350cc motor. A stock warrior only puts out like 18 horsepower on a dyno. Compare to just a stock 400X (400EX) at 27hp and you can see why a 350 warrior might be in the "lower" horsepower range.

As for price, I wasnt suggesting 08kgraves buy a brand new 400X, 450R, 700EFI or 525IRS... I was simply giving him some resources to better understand how they compare. You can buy a 400EX thats a few years old for amazing deals. Heck, theyve been making the thing since the 90's. Same goes for the raptor. You can get them that are 6 and 7 years old for great deals. Hondas been making the 450 for a while and you can usually pick up a used one for decent $$... but its not the best choice IMO. The Polaris is, in reality, a pretty rare bike. They didnt sell well so there arent many out there. BUT... polaris doesnt have a great reputation in the sport ATV world (for a number of reasons... non that should stop a buyer from picking up a used one) which means they dont hold their value well so you CAN get a used IRS polaris for decent money. They also made a Predator 500 IRS that was NOT popular so they are out there cheap.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 12-09-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

hey hey hey now, no fighting allowed............... i dont want my thread closed. everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

but yeah i guess your right, most people just say there quad goes speed "x". i mostly just want something i can have fun on that isnt going to be to much if you know what i mean. like i said my friends old 400 was decked out. which may be why i didnt like it. he rides way more than me though so he probably loved it and was just used to it. im not ruling out the 400 all together. i still havent rode a stock one, so i might like that much better especially until i get more used to it. but i think ive come to conclude that i will stay away from 450's all together since they are way more race specific and require much more maintenace.

it would still be some time before i was going to purchase. just looking around for now and wanted some others opinions as well
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    get a honda utility atv. they are still fast and can haul a cooler or whatever else you need and can climb mountains and have high ground clearance.
    Slash 4x4
    MERV

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    The warrior isnt underpowered... I didnt say that. But you have to realize its a very old 350cc motor. A stock warrior only puts out like 18 horsepower on a dyno. Compare to just a stock 400X (400EX) at 27hp and you can see why a 350 warrior might be in the "lower" horsepower range.
    yes i amagine most people want the bigger power. thats ok to. im no speed freak.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyjlewis View Post
    get a honda utility atv. they are still fast and can haul a cooler or whatever else you need and can climb mountains and have high ground clearance.
    like i said im not really opposed to anything for the right price tag. still would like to stay away from 450 race quads for maintenance reasons but thats it. if the price is right and i like how it handles then thats all that matters
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Now that looks like me down here. LOL I have a Honda Rancher ES-350, bought it brand new in 2000 and own it still today. Been kept in a garage and taken care of all its life. I take it out a few times a month and have a blast. Still original tires and such. Believe it has 2,000+ miles and maybe 300hrs, something like that. Tires look new but the nubbies are nearly gone. LOL
    I have a 2001 2wd Rancher and it's the best, most reliable machine I have ever owned; 3000+ miles, 300-something hours and going strong.

To the OP, 60mph is much too fast for an atv, consider a slower machine with a high fun factor like the Rancher.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    In general atv's are very underpowered for the amount of cc's they have. Because of this the performance depends a lot on the person riding. The riders weight changes the power to weight ratio drastically thus one may feel fast to one person but slow to another.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Back when I was racing snowmobiles the equation was -1hp for every 8lbs. So a combination of equipment and rider that weighted 40lbs more than a sled with the exact same hp would perform as though it has 5hp less... Im a BIG guy and saw this at work on the starting line race after race. I was 230lbs racing guys who weighted 160-180... frustrating to say the least. But like reaper said, thats where technique comes into play. For fun riding, numbers like this are pretty useless and the math doesnt translate to ATVs the same way. Its just an interesting thought.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    I have a 2001 2wd Rancher and it's the best, most reliable machine I have ever owned; 3000+ miles, 300-something hours and going strong.

To the OP, 60mph is much too fast for an atv, consider a slower machine with a high fun factor like the Rancher.
    Very very reliable. It has never been in the shop. I'm the caregiver and it rewards me every time I fire it up. I just had to replace the original battery last summer. LOL I think mine tops out at 55mph. Fast enough for me. I'm a country guy so I get more use out of sport utilities.

Op. Hope we are helping you out.

Btw pave a local polaris shop has a couple of those 525's for sale. Not sure of the model year. I'll have to call them for info and a price. I've looked at them a few times.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III ~ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I've got a Yamaha 350 bruin and I love it
    Also the sportsman 550 is great the little time I had one but I didn't have one for long, I know this is high in cc but a grizzly 750 efi with power steering, that's a nice rig lol

RC Champion
    In reality id prefer a 4x4 anything with a snowlpow. Im getting to old for speed, and power.lol. im just happy i have a quad that has been reliable. Sure id like a bigger one someday.

Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    In reality id prefer a 4x4 anything with a snowlpow. Im getting to old for speed, and power.lol. im just happy i have a quad that has been reliable. Sure id like a bigger one someday.
    We are really big in 4x4's around here. Rule of thumb or so I hear. The thing is with a 4x4 most people believe they will never get stuck. So they go out and get a 4x4 and end up getting more stuck than a person with a 2wd. I know the limitations of my 2x4 so I dont get into those predicaments. Can't say that I have never been stuck, those times that I was that 4x4 sure would have come in handy. I end up jumping off the quad walk along side it and give it slight throttle to get out of the mud. This wont work everywhere but it has for me. LOL

This thead has given me an itchin. Maybe soon enough. Just need the little guy to be 12yrs older now. Ughhhh!!!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore