RC Racer

Getting frustrated with Merv....

So, I bought this used merv at a good deal, but I've spent more time and money fixing it than driving it...

I had it out the other night and got frustrated because I couldn't keep it on its wheels, seemed to flip it lots for no real reason, other than driver error. Drove my stampede and never rolled it once...

Then I got trying some adjustments in the house after ditching my HR servo saver in place of the stocker (much wanted improvement) but then after playing around I hear the diffs stripping/clicking... Luckily I have some new ones on the way I was going to ship before putting them in, but seems like every turn I have to order something for it...

Sorry, just venting a little bit, I bet I've spent $300 since buying it and only put a few hours of good running on it... if anyone has some suggestions to save me breaking any more parts I'd love to hear it... so far I've rebuilt/sprung the shocks, back to stock servo saver, put smaller 23T pinion in, have a 5085mg servo to put in once I get a new horn...

again, jsut venting, feel free to beat me up

RC Champion
    i hear the venting. bout ready to send mine down the road, and stay with the big boys.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    Just be patient, the RC gods are testing you...
    Last edited by airmaxx23; 12-09-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    ***You Build It ...I'll Jump It!!!*** OS .18 TZ; Trinity Pipe; HCR Titanium Skid Plates & Bumpers; Futaba S9450 Throttle Servo; Airtronics 94358Z Steering Servo; RPM A-arms & Knuckles; FOC; Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins,Turnbuckles, Push Rods & Rocker Posts; New Era Roll Bar & Engine Mount; Proline Mashers on Velocity Rims.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Sounds rough... about the only thing I can do is let you know how I was set up when I rarely walked away broke:

Steel hollow balls (7028x) to reduce slop
    3M mushroom tape along battery doors to hold the body on
    Aluminum knuckles to reduce slop and add strength (I have HR but recommend GPM or GH)
    A BlueBird 390 servo due to the stock being known to fry/strip itself
    RPM a arms at all four corners (Front-80692, Rear-80602)
    Center differential (7014) upgrade to help handle the power of
    2200mah 2S 20C LiPo's ran in parallel for ~1 hour run times
    23/50 gearing gets me to ~30mph yet keeps temps in check
    Shimmed front and rear bulkheads... *LINK*

Especially do that last part... extremely cheap preventative procedure.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Steel cvds including center cvds. That'll save you some headaches.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    You should think about getting offset tires, I felt upset with my MERV flipping all the time and after comparing it to my 1/8th truggy in proportion I just felt like it was sacrificing performance with the wheels, I put 2.2 street tires on offset RPM rims and I like the performance, the tires are a little big but not overkill like most dirt 2.2 truck tires.
    I like turtles.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hpi 2160 will help a bunch with the roll overs and give the steering expo a try mellows out the steering responce

RC Qualifier
    or traxxas 1972 if you're on a budget
    I like turtles.

RC Champion
    Id say radio tuning as well. Suspension geometry isnt TOO MUCH an issue unless you have changed the springs.
    Maybe check Wheel Camber (pillow balls) to be sure you arent all out of wack.

I had fun with my new MERV yesterday first I pulled a couple double back flips of my big ramp, then it went for a swim. THEN (as a result of the flips, Im sure) We had to shim the diffs. All in a days fun!
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]